1 person vs 3 person for 2 people

eamyrick

WKR
2 hunts planned for this season. Desert Mule Deer and Spring Bear. Going on both trips with a buddy and planning to upgrade tents. Looking for advice on going with 2x 1 person tents vs a single 3 person tent. We are both 6’2-6’3, 200lbs. Weight seems pretty close. Primarily looking at MSR. Thanks.

If weights are similar there's not much benefit to a shared shelter unless you hearing your buddy snore or need to share body warmth...
But a 1 person tent is small. Which model are you looking at?
I would get a two person tent for each of you and have a bit of room for gear etc.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
MSR Hubba NX Solo vs Mutha Hubba NX 3.

If weights are similar there's not much benefit to a shared shelter unless you hearing your buddy snore or need to share body warmth...
But a 1 person tent is small. Which model are you looking at?
I would get a two person tent for each of you and have a bit of room for gear etc.

I’ve used the nx3 the past couple years as a 2 man tent. It’s been great and I would recommend it. With that said I’m trying to sell it so I can get a light 1 man setup to be more versatile for me. Pm me if interested

LeroyG22

FNG
Definitely 2x 1p. At the end of the a long day of hunting it’s nice to have your own space. Big Agnes fly creek is my go to.

JNDEER

WKR
Two one man tents or a 3 man tent. 2 big guys in a 2 man tent won't work- no way a 1 man tent will work.

On trips that are only 1-3 miles to camp I will carry an extra 1lb and bring a 4 man BA tent. The extra room is super nice if stuck in the tent for a while, drying off clothes, etc.

muddydogs

WKR
With the lighter tents we have these days I would carry a 2 person tent just for me, some of the MSR tents are under 2 pounds. Having room for some gear and to keep gear out of the rain is very nice. I have no desire to sleep next to another guy listening to him do what ever in the middle of the night and I don't want to have to see him scratch his junk or watch me scratch mine.

K

Kootenay Hunter

To me, sleep comfort is paramount. separate 2-person tents would be my suggestion. Although tent walls aren't exactly soundproof barriers for snore protection, they definitely help with smells :p

Plus, you can use the 2 person on your own, so it's more versatile.

I'm 6'2" 220 and find that a lot of 1 person tents are a little too small with gear, movement, etc., 2 persons feel like a 1 person to me.

MSR makes solid products.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR

The Nemo spike looks like a good option.

The Nemo spike looks like a good option.

I’d rather have a 2P: https://www.backcountry.com/nemo-eq...sy4czcvYZAtcOOgTcQgUXBltIcJ5yFAxoC9wYQAvD_BwE

But if you go with the 1P, it is super cheap here:

If you want a non-floorless (double negative?) option on a budget, look at the 3F Lanshan 2.

I'd go with a 2-man for yourself. Can't stand sharing a tent.
If money isn't an issue, theres sub-two pound varieties to be had. Try the Big Agnes tiger wall 2 carbon tent, really light, little fragile tho if your hard on your gear.