10mm non hard cast bear defense ammo.

I picked up a glock 20 to use as a bear defense if spray isn't going to work in that scenario. I generally opt towards hard cast bullets for hunting anyways so thought I'd try some Buffalo bore 200gr my local shop could get me. The first shot leaded the barrel pretty good so I haven't bothered with it since. What are you guys using for jacketed or mono bear loads in 10mm? Later in the summer I'll probably get a different barrel and I'll have my reloading stuff by then but I'll need something for my 3 week hunting trip in May.

I am pretty far down the 10mm rabbit hole. Taken two WT buck on purpose w a 10mm. I am a huge fan of my loads under a Hornady XTP.

That said....I think you would have to do a LOT of work to best the Federal 200 grain Trophy Bonded factory load. It shoots LIGHTS OUT in my rebarreled Glock and my stock Springfield. So much so, that for woods carry and intentional hunting with the 10mm....this is now my Go To ammo.

Spendy for a box of 20, but not Buffalo Bore spendy. Think $32 my last box. Get's a full magazine and some change.

Best of many worlds. Heavy for caliber, mushroom and expansion, weight retention and penetration.

LoggerDan

WKR
The stock barrel is adequate. I shoot nothing but BB 220’s. Yeah, when you shoot it, you will see leading. But it’s no big deal. just clean after a full magazine. Check out what Buffalo Bore has to say about it.

The shooting industry is really good at conning folks to buy what they don’t need.

grfox92

WKR
I am pretty far down the 10mm rabbit hole. Taken two WT buck on purpose w a 10mm. I am a huge fan of my loads under a Hornady XTP.

That said....I think you would have to do a LOT of work to best the Federal 200 grain Trophy Bonded factory load. It shoots LIGHTS OUT in my rebarreled Glock and my stock Springfield. So much so, that for woods carry and intentional hunting with the 10mm....this is now my Go To ammo.

Spendy for a box of 20, but not Buffalo Bore spendy. Think $32 my last box. Get's a full magazine and some change.

Best of many worlds. Heavy for caliber, mushroom and expansion, weight retention and penetration.
You would feel comfortable with them as grizzly bear defense?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
C
The stock barrel is adequate. I shoot nothing but BB 220’s. Yeah, when you shoot it, you will see leading. But it’s no big deal. just clean after a full magazine. Check out what Buffalo Bore has to say about it.

The shooting industry is really good at conning folks to buy what they don’t need.
I just checked mine were the 220 bb rounds. I cast and shoot lead in all my other pistols. One round from this had so much lead I wouldn't feel comfortable running a full mag through it.

Use underwood's coated hard cast. Polygonal rifling safe.
Underwood is a better company anyway, and their ammo is just as good. It shoots great and hits hard so no need to settle for leading up your barrel anyway.

220 underwoods in my glock 29. I have a KKM 4.5 in barrel which I doubt I needed, but it shoots nice and the extra length gets it back to G20 ballistics. I also put in a stiffer spring - maybe 22#? Again, doubt I needed it but it shoots great and packs nice so I'm happy enough.

These are snappy. I bought a box of these and a box of the 220gr hard casts for my alaska moose hunt. Ended up loading the 220 gr because their was less muzzle flip.
I learned my lesson with light-for-caliber bullets in handguns.
I use BB hardcast in my handguns but don't own any Glocks.
No way would I want an expanding bullet.

You would feel comfortable with them as grizzly bear defense?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Correct. Have property and cabin in NW MT. Monster boar grizz just hatched as was walking down a well driven access road just a few mile from my place on Friday evening.

That's what's in my G40 magazine.

Spinman75

FNG
These are snappy. I bought a box of these and a box of the 220gr hard casts for my alaska moose hunt. Ended up loading the 220 gr because their was less muzzle flip.
I learned my lesson with light-for-caliber bullets in handguns.
I use BB hardcast in my handguns but don't own any Glocks.
No way would I want an expanding bullet.
What lesson did you learn?

WCB

WKR
Federal Solid Core 10mm 200gr. Coated hardened lead. Out penetrates Buffalo Bore. No leading no gas checks etc.