Help me choose a Duck gun

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious to know why you bought the 20 gauge version when you already had the 12. Any preference? This is the crux of of my original question.

Local dealer had a special edition of the SBE3 12 last year, and this year they did a matching 20 with corresponding serial number. They offered the purchasers of the 12 the chance to complete the set. I just sort of wanted it. That said, I will probably put it to use shooting puddle ducks and also have one of my kids shooting in in the duck blind if the weather it bad and I don't want to expose the Montefeltros to the elements.

I bought a case of BOSS #2 20 ga. shells but have not hunted with them yet.

For an all around waterfowl, gun, I think the SBE3 12 is the way to go. I would not have bought the 20 if I did not already have the 12.

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
Local dealer had a special edition of the SBE3 12 last year, and this year they did a matching 20 with corresponding serial number. They offered the purchasers of the 12 the chance to complete the set. I just sort of wanted it. That said, I will probably put it to use shooting puddle ducks and also have one of my kids shooting in in the duck blind if the weather it bad and I don't want to expose the Montefeltros to the elements.

I bought a case of BOSS #2 20 ga. shells but have not hunted with them yet.

For an all around waterfowl, gun, I think the SBE3 12 is the way to go. I would not have bought the 20 if I did not already have the 12.
Great comments. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Tod osier

WKR
You still seem super stuck on this 20 gauge thing. If you want to shoot steel and are not planning on restricting yourself to being an expert duck hunter and only take committed ducks over decoys and pass up lots of shots, you need a 12. If you have ever patterned a 20 with steel, you will see that there is just not much shot in there, so you need to shoot smaller shot or use a very tight choke (which may not pattern well with the paltry number of pellets of larger shot). A 20 with steel is an experts (or kids with drastically limited range) gun.

If you decide you want to shoot something like Boss, it works great in a 12 gauge as well as a 20, but steel sucks in a 20.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get in to duck hunting and buying a dedicated waterfowl gun. My research shows SBE 3 vs A400 is like a Chevy vs Ford debate…everyone has a preference.

I already have a Remington 870 Supermangum in 12 gauge dedicated for turkeys. A Beretta SV10 Perinnia in 20 gauge for doves, quail, and other small game.
I’m currently leaning towards the Beretta A400 extreme plus. Where I could use experienced input is, 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

I understand the math behind 12 v 20 (more pellets) but is there anything else to consider when choosing a gauge for waterfowl usage?
Imo a personal happy medium for me and imo, anyone looking to start, is the winchester sx4. Same EXACT guts as a wicked wing and it's been super reliable. By same, I mean how they break down. Been using it in rain, snow, heat and it's great. I waterfowl every weekend and shoot tons of upland.

Yeah you may not have the flashy colors if black but I'm cerakoting mine to look top shelf for 250. I think I'm 1000 into it. I've heard good things about stoeger as well.

For my 20ga I alternate, I use the weatherby tungsten synthetic. Stones ducks as well. It was $600. It has a lower rib though so be mindful of that.

End of day, shoot what shoulders best and if ya can, try and find some with more spacers and cast shims. Helps with fit.

Good luck

I am looking to get in to duck hunting and buying a dedicated waterfowl gun. My research shows SBE 3 vs A400 is like a Chevy vs Ford debate…everyone has a preference.

I already have a Remington 870 Supermangum in 12 gauge dedicated for turkeys. A Beretta SV10 Perinnia in 20 gauge for doves, quail, and other small game.
I’m currently leaning towards the Beretta A400 extreme plus. Where I could use experienced input is, 12 gauge or 20 gauge?

I understand the math behind 12 v 20 (more pellets) but is there anything else to consider when choosing a gauge for waterfowl usage?
When I looked at a new shotgun for waterfowl hunting I look at as what were my needs and likes. I had problems with both of those guns,but not because they were bad. For me the Beretta was the better fit,but hated where the safety was. The SBE 3 didn't fit me or my eye. I tried shooting a buddy's gun and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The SBE is the easiest to clean and will run dirty. Good luck with the new gun.

cueva

FNG
Not to relive this thread, but happy I saw this as I’m in the same boat. Was set on an SBE3 when I held it in store, but seeing all the comments on it shooting high is making me wanna do a 12g A400 extreme instead

I truly don't think this decision is as agonizing as you are making it. Just get a 12. Why? Ammo much, much easier to find and much cheaper local and online.

I have both a 12 gauge and 20 gauge for waterfowl but if I was picking one it would be the 12 gauge.

Also, don't get 3.5 inch mags unless you just hate yourself.

I fire more shells in a waterfowl season than many do in 5 years. I have extensive first hand experience with all three of the Big B's and I did shoot remingtons as a kid. Not a lot of experience with the other players (franchi/stoger/winchester/weatherby).

Currently, I am switching between three Benellis (an SBE2 and a pair of M2s) and two of them are constantly in rotation at the gunsmith. I am hard on them, but I'll never buy another SBE. Maybe one day I'd buy another M2. The SBE is due for one last trip to the gunsmith before I trash it. I had problems with one of my two M2s but they finally seem to be resolved. My oldest M2 runs flawlessly but it had to be sent back to Benelli 20 years ago after it was first purchased.

I have shot but don't have a lot of experience with an A400 but I have an A300 20 and have spent a half season with an a301 12. Reliability has been great. My dad shoots A3--- series guns exclusively and he duck hunts almost every day of our 100 day season. I personally don't like how they fit me and I don't like the safety position. Those are personal things for me. Not a knock on the gun.

In a pinch I'll still go back and shoot my Browning Gold. I've destroyed three gas pistons over the years but outside of that, if you keep brownings/Winchesters clean they will treat you right. Unburnt powder and rain is the only killer for all of those guns.

For me, Benellis fit me like a third arm so I keep dealing with them. But my next new one will be an SX4. Several friends shoot them without issue and for $900 its worth a chance for me since I had such good luck with that same gas system in my gold.

I'm not here to claim one thing is amazing and everything else sucks. I'm just trying to give you as much useful information as possible. The one piece of advice I will give since you say you aren't into geese, there is no need to buy a 3.5" gun. You can save a lot of money and potentially get something more reliable by sticking with a 3" gun. That being said, if you go the Benelli route, an M2 will fit your needs for a lot less than an SBE.

OP
F

Fallbeard

FNG
I ended up purchasing the Beretta A400 xtreme plus in 12 gauge with 26” barrels. I went to the gun store and shouldered one. It’s a tank but should be soft shooting. I’m not crazy about the safety placement but hope I adjust to it. I’ve had good experiences with Beretta in the past so hope to continue the trend.

My cousin got a Browning Maxus 2 Wicked Wing in 12/26 configuration . Good looking gun with the bronze cerakote.

It will be fun to see how they both perform next to each other. Thanks to everyone that took the opportunity to chime in and share their experiences.

Last edited:

bduke7645

FNG
Shoot whatever fits you best. I shot a sbe2 and 3 for a good amount of time and ended up selling them to purchase a browning maxus and never looked back. BADASS GUN

I ended up purchasing the Beretta A400 xtreme plus in 12 gauge with 26” barrels. I went to the gun store and shouldered one. It’s a tank but should be soft shooting. I’m not crazy about the safety placement but hope I adjust to it. I’ve had good experiences with Beretta in the past so hope to continue the trend.

My cousin got a Browning Maxus 2 Wicked Wing in 12/26 configuration . Good looking gun with the bronze cerakote.

It will be fun to see how they both perform next to each other. Thanks to everyone that took the opportunity to chime in and share their experiences.
You will love the a400 boat paddle! My xtrema 2 has ended up in muddy water because I almost went under. Ducks came in and got two with water coming out the action.

James K

FNG
I primarily hunt waterfowl here in NJ. 90% of my hunts are tidal salt marsh.

You won't go wrong with either a Benelli or Beretta. The one gun that I have heard absolutely minimal problems with is the A-series Berettas. I have an A300 Xtrema which is no longer made. The gun probably has about 1000 shells through it by now. Not one hiccup. The new version is now the A400.

What it really comes down to is: Gas vs. Inertia. The A400 is king of the gas guns. The SBE3 is king of the inertia guns. Gas will need more cleaning but typically is a much, much less recoil. Inertia is less cleaning but the recoil is something else. My cousin sold a brand new Browning A5 because the recoil was just absurd.

My pick is the A400. I also shoot a Browning Silver Hunter 12g which I like a lot as well. Little bit better price point at about $1100-$1200.

dtrkyman

WKR
The SBE and many guns have adjustable spacers, guns are built for the average sized guy, a little time at the patterning board and you will get a gun to hit where you point it!

A friend of mine has a large round head,lol. He can not hit chit with a stock configuration(other than right to left crossers), needs some major cast adjustment!

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily hunt waterfowl here in NJ. 90% of my hunts are tidal salt marsh.

You won't go wrong with either a Benelli or Beretta. The one gun that I have heard absolutely minimal problems with is the A-series Berettas. I have an A300 Xtrema which is no longer made. The gun probably has about 1000 shells through it by now. Not one hiccup. The new version is now the A400.

What it really comes down to is: Gas vs. Inertia. The A400 is king of the gas guns. The SBE3 is king of the inertia guns. Gas will need more cleaning but typically is a much, much less recoil. Inertia is less cleaning but the recoil is something else. My cousin sold a brand new Browning A5 because the recoil was just absurd.

My pick is the A400. I also shoot a Browning Silver Hunter 12g which I like a lot as well. Little bit better price point at about $1100-$1200.
Just bought a discontinued Silver Field cerakote finish for under $1000 shipped. The black synthetic version is about $900 shipped if you do some searching. That'd be my pick of guns under $1000.

James K

FNG
Just bought a discontinued Silver Field cerakote finish for under $1000 shipped. The black synthetic version is about $900 shipped if you do some searching. That'd be my pick of guns under $1000.

Yeah those types of bargains are few and far between. I haven't seen much for $1000 or sub-$1000 that is capable of shooting 3.5" shells. I actually paid $999 for my Beretta A300 Xtrema in 2013, if memory serves me right. I don't shoot 3.5" anymore but if we end up in another ammo shortage, I'd like to have that option.

To your point about the Silver Field, which is what I also have, it's right in that region of $1000 auto's that can run 3.5" if needed.

DG1010

FNG
I had a similar question when I started, and went with a Benelli supernova. So far it’s been great, a little high but great for the cost and never any serious issues

pirogue

WKR
Not hijackjng, but since ammo is big factor, can anyone sell it online and ship easy? I know shipping costs have soared, but got steel shot I won’t ever use.

Ken_L

FNG
I purchased the Beretta A400 Extreme Plus 12 ga and I really like it. I shot 5 stand with it and the shotgun points and swings smoothly. I have a Benelli Super Sport Ethos in 20 gauge and I like it but it seems to shoot a little high and the shotgun is a little whippy for me.