12 lb monster tripod for $90

TaperPin

WKR
Maybe a plinker or prarie dog shooter will find this interesting. In the old days professional video cameras like those used by tv reporters were huge and one of the popular professional quality tripods was a compact 500 series Gitzo, which pop up now for dirt cheap. This thing is 12 lbs as it sits and was under $100 shipped - it’s ridiculously well made and solid - way too heavy to walk around with much. The adjustable center column will be traded for a fixed center with big ball head for Arca rails or a large tactical flat top and bag that is on another tripod.

The 500 series is Gitzo’s biggest model, sometimes called the Tele Studex. The slightly smaller 400 = Pro Studex. 300 series = Studex.

The old original Studio Ball is big heavy and had Arca clamps before Arca clamps were cool. Lol

For under $200 this combination is heavy, but every bit as solid as the biggest most expensive carbon fiber tripods and heads.

825A24EB-9CA4-4640-886B-C21F9FBD5C7A.jpeg

24B8C216-60FC-4365-A7A1-498A59B18B65.jpeg

rayporter

WKR
they are worth it if you have heavy glass!!
mine weighs over 20lb! when the wind is blowing really hard your binos or spotter wont shake.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
they are worth it if you have heavy glass!!
mine weighs over 20lb! when the wind is blowing really hard your binos or spotter wont shake.
I agree! I’ve been buying the taller versions when a good price comes up and giving them to the younger guys in the family for their spotting scopes. When it’s windy these really shine.