Center Column or Not for Backpacking/Glassing/Shooting Tripod

Rackmastr

WKR
Hey Guys,

Wanted some input on tripods. I've always used a tripod for glassing only. Swaro STS 65. I prioritize weight and packability for sheep/mountain hunting more than anything. Have never shot off a tripod before or considered it. Thinking of going to a system with Arca mounts on rifle/spotter/etc for future use. Priority is still glassing for hunting, with shooting as a secondary options.

The Revic Backpacker continues to come up, and is recommended by the guys at Cameraland who are great to chat with!

I'm wondering about the use of a tripod with no center column as I've always had one. Is there much limitation on a straight spoting scope and no center column? Have kinda considered going to a Sirui with a short center column as an option to still be able to shoot prone but have a bit of movement for sitting/glassing.

Thoughts on center column vs none on a straight scope and for glassing/shooting combo? The other option I considered was a Sirui ST125 and a ball head system of some sort, or a Slik/etc type tripod and ball head. The reason I'd go this route vs the Revic is essentially the center column option (short or full length).

For shooting, center column is always a no-no for stability. Probably has to do with which function of the tripod you want to prioritize.

TaperPin

WKR
What John said.
A center column is much less stiff than a taller tripod that doesn’t need it - mainly a weight penalty and extra cost for the taller one. However, a column does allow faster vertical adjustment than having to do that with the legs.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like said above, your choice has to do with function. There is no right decision only tradeoffs.

Center column reduces stability. If it does not reduce it too much, then it is typically lighter.

Most who preach tripod, like me, prioritize the ability to make precision shots in more conditions as the highest priority. It is “best” for that purpose. But, can be heavier.

What are factors that matter to you most?

IdahoBeav

WKR
I always want to have the option to glass standing up, and on any tripod that is small and light enough to pack, this requires a column. I killed a buck this year with a standing shot off a tripod- Slik 634 with a V-rest in a WP Nighthawk head. The column was raised. I can remove the column extension if I need to set the tripod low for a prone shot.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I should say, I dont glass standing up, and dont plan to shoot standing.

I also didnt see myself wanting to shoot a center column extended, and the longer one makes it almost impossible to shoot prone. That little Sirui 'short' column is a couple inches and felt it might provide the right mix of adjustment and ability to shoot prone.

Sure seems like the decision is which is more important (shooting or glassing). I'm usually a 'pack' shooter but see how a guy can benefit from glassing/shooting/etc off something.

Anyone shooting the Revic or similar priced tripod for mountain hunting and shooting or have any comments on the decision between brands/options

TaperPin

WKR
You might notice some brands in bigger sizes have removable centers and can be changed from column, to video half ball, to solid center. Most times these are the tripods aimed at photographers and have somewhat interchangeable sizes, but sometimes are brand specific. The half ball is quick to level and you’ll see a number of guys use that with Arca clamp instead of a normal ball head.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I get that this may still create a 'movement' point that may be introducing more variables than leaving and shooting one off no center column.

Guess the decision is whether primary function is shooting or glassing. I spend a lot of time behind a scope on a sheep hunt (archery hunts as well) so trying to find that right balance.

Outwest

WKR
I would take a look at the Leofoto tripods with the built in leveling heads and no center column. I’m playing around with one now and I really like it. I could see some limitations with glassing way up/downhill due to only 15° cant but other than that, I think it might be worth a look. Realistically, I’d say most time spent glassing is within that 30° range anyway.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I would take a look at the Leofoto tripods with the built in leveling heads and no center column. I’m playing around with one now and I really like it. I could see some limitations with glassing way up/downhill due to only 15° cant but other than that, I think it might be worth a look. Realistically, I’d say most time spent glassing is within that 30° range anyway.

Ya the Revic seems to be made by Leofoto which caused me to look at some of the Leofoto stuff. Wasnt sure how uphill/downhill was affected more with a straight spotter and no center column vs an angled one. Agreed I dont seem to to a TON of extreme angled stuff. Might be more limited with straight scope but I guess a guy could adjust legs a lot more as well

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I always want to have the option to glass standing up, and on any tripod that is small and light enough to pack, this requires a column. I killed a buck this year with a standing shot off a tripod- Slik 634 with a V-rest in a WP Nighthawk head. The column was raised. I can remove the column extension if I need to set the tripod low for a prone shot.
How far?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leveling head is best for shooting, but heavier and I need the extra angle.

I run the Leofoto without leveling head, but without a column as the tradeoff for me. Run the head you want.

atmat

WKR
Others have talked about the drawbacks of shooting with a center column. I agree.

I do love a center column for switching back and forth between binos and my spotter, though.

I wouldn't say a center column is a no-go for shooting either. I have shot an elk each of the past 2 seasons at 500 off a 3lb tripod with a center column. Yes you loose a bit of stability. As everyone is saying, there is no right answer. I'm looking at some new tripods trying to trim weight. As with everything, it's all tradeoffs.

bmart2622

WKR
Do you know which one you have? Im looking hard at the Leofoto

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you know which one you have? Im looking hard at the Leofoto
I ran a leveling bowl for a while. They are definitely the most stable and the best to shoot off. If I had to choose a tripod and needed maximum stability, I would go with a leveling bowl.

If you get a leveling bowl, go for maximum stability and find one with the inverted legs like this. If you wanted to try a used one, I have a friend who might sell his used just to pick up a smaller one like the one I went to.

Three reasons why I don't carry or use that Leofoto model any more. One, the extra weight. Two, I found I went outside the adjustability more often than it was worth. Now, with the inverted tripod leg tripods with the leg adjustment in reach, I wouldn't be bothered as much. Three, the added stability wasn't enough to offset the downsides.

BBob

WKR
For me the first priority by a huge margin for a hunting tripod is glassing. I cannot deal with a tripod without a center column at all for glassing and I’ve tried. A pan head also far outweighs a ball head for me for glassing. I almost never need a tripod to make a shot either so there’s that but I can still effectively shoot off my column pan head equipped tripod if I wanted but I rarely do.