120 grain Hammer Hunter VS 120 grain Barnes TTSX

TN2shot07

WKR
It depends on your intention, the Barnes is designed to mushroom and stay together. The Hammers are designed to shed petals and still push the shank through. Both are good bullets, my 7-08 loves the 120 ttsx’s

z987k

WKR
Whitetails at less than 200 yards.

Can;t find a 120 ttsx for the life of me right now.

chris
That's one big advantage of hammers. They're always in stock.

I've never had an issue with a hammer not killing an animal. They're only minor issue is the low BC in high winds at longer ranges. Inside 200, that's not a problem.

OP
C
My 7-08 has been very deadly with 120 grain NBTs. You can spend more for bullets, but have haven’t seen a reason to do so.
Not to chase down to many rabbit holes, but>>>>>>I always heard that the BT bullets weren't good at close ranges as they have a tendency to blow up or fragment at really high velocities.

Not to chase down to many rabbit holes, but>>>>>>I always heard that the BT bullets weren't good at close ranges as they have a tendency to blow up or fragment at really high velocities.
This particular bullet (120gr) is sort of the exception. From what I understand, silhouette shooters asked Nosler to beef up the jackets to help with knocking over targets. My oldest daughter shoots them in her 7mm-08 and they’re accurate and deadly. Her buck this year was taken at 70yds. Perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder left destroyed internals and a quarter sized exit. That was with 3100fps MV. It’s a nasty little bullet.

z987k

WKR
The 139 LRX is availible on Barnes' website. I personally like the LRX more than the TTSX.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Hasn’t blown up for me at close range. I love them. I wouldn’t have any issues shooting an elk with them.

SDHNTR

WKR
Shoot whichever one is more accurate in your gun. They work differently, but do the same thing.