120g Nosler Ballistic Tips for Sheep

Dust1n

FNG
Has anyone dabbled with 120g Nosler Ballistic Tips for Sheep?

They almost seem to good and I’m looking for real life experiences.
My understanding balisitic tips would fragment on impact

With nosler the only ones used were the 140 gr. (7-08) on 2 dalls. Both where pass throughs at 40 yds and 230yds. Didn't find any bits in the meat.

Not sheep but used on white tail and pronghorn… absolutely impressed ..
Complete pass through . Entrance wounds caliber sized , exits fist sized or bigger..

ALL where DRT.
No blood shot meat

Have not seen the 120’s, but have seen the 6.5mm 140 BT on a goat and it stoned it in its tracks and was a complete pass through with a lot of wound channel and blood.

The 120s have the same jacket thickness as the 140s. The 7mm-08 was a go-to for silhouette shooters and they needed a heavier jacket to knock down the targets. I have killed pronghorn and large whitetails past 520 yards with the 120s outof 7mm-08s.
Not sure as to performance on sheep as I have not been fortunate enough to chase them.

Nothing wrong with the 120g. I shoot it out of a 14" barrel chambered in 7-30 Waters and it has done a fine job on the deer it has come into contact with but velocities are slow compared to other 7mm cartridges. Any "deer bullet" is also a "sheep bullet".

If I had a 7mm-08 rifle I would be inclined to try the 140g accubond for accuracy. If they shoot well, I would prefer to hunt with them. At 500 yards the 140g drops three inches more than the 120 and the 140g's energy is 15% greater.

The initial post is from Alberta so lets assume we are talking about hunting sheep up north. In that sheep country there are also big bears. For that reason I would want the firearm I'm carrying to be loaded with something stouter than 120g BT's.

I handload for my nephew's 7-08, he's killed 3 elk (2 cows and a bull) with them, at least a dozen whitetail, a mule deer buck, and a pronghorn buck with them.. Ranges from 50-450 yards.

Last falls bull, 127 yards, one shot, broke the near shoulder, spine and the bull never took a step and was dead within a few seconds (got the top of the lungs, artery below the spine).

24838.jpeg

The 120's are hell for stout, I load them to 2825 FPS with H380 and they hold together well.

Recovered this one from a mature cow elk, nephews first elk, 80 yards broke the on-side shoulder, through the top of the heart, broke a rib on the off-side just under the hide on the off-side.

2016101795120055.jpg

I wouldn't even give it a second thought to kill a ram with one, or most anything else.

If I ever draw my Oregon OIL sheep tag I will be packing a 7MM-08 loaded with 120 grain BT's thats for sure. That combo will be with me this year on my bull elk hunt so if I get lucky I will be happy to report ;)
So far I've killed a bunch of antelope and mule deer with them and haven't caught one yet. They are a good tough bullet that is easy to shoot in most rifles so you should be good to go (y)

As most have said, 120g 7mm BTs are actually tougher than 140s. Really good bullet for anything up thru caribou easy.

My wife shoots the 120BT out of the 7-08AI. That bullet is well constructed and performs great on game! I've never been a fan of BT's but the 120s in 7mm sure work great! Wouldn't hesitate on sheep!

My daughter's first sheep was shot using a 7-08 and factory loaded 120gr BT's. The bullet absolutely killed the ram but it also sent fragments from hell to breakfast throughout the ram. I quit shooting them for that reason only. The grouped really well, always killed animals but for us they always came apart.

The 120s have the same jacket thickness as the 140s. The 7mm-08 was a go-to for silhouette shooters and they needed a heavier jacket to knock down the targets. I have killed pronghorn and large whitetails past 520 yards with the 120s outof 7mm-08s.
Not sure as to performance on sheep as I have not been fortunate enough to chase them.

Here's a pic of the jacket on a 120 (right) vs. the 140 (left). The 120 is obviously a stouter bullet with a thicker jacket. The designer did this intentionally. He planned to hunt "larger" game with it.

Attachments

• image (003).jpg
    image (003).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 23
Back