WTB 12x12 Alaknak or 12x14 wall tent.

Stalker69

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a 12x12 Alaknak tent, it was horrible. The storm flap for the flue is made ( or was made) to roll down instead of up. So when it would rain the rain runs down the roof right down the flue hole. Plus they put those windows in the roof rather then the sides. You know that plastic they use is not going to last very long before becoming brittle and no good. Or I was afraid if it was real cold they would brake and then there’s no way to stay dry. I returned mine after the first time I used it and it rained on us. We had 3/4 to 1 inch of water standing on the floor. Luckily we were sleeping on cots. My brother has the larger model, and it better designed. He would probably be willing to sell it, but I don’t think he would be willing to ship it.

Wrench

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Where are you located? I have a 12x12 with vestibule, roof liner, stove system and a clothes hanging line inside that I am going to sell. This tent is in very good condition with a couple of sealed burns from before the roof protection. ..none leak. The tent has seen under 20 days of sun.

If you buy one of these, the trick to keeping them from mildewing is to shake the tent out somewhere dry....even if it won't fit in the room you choose. Close all doors and windows. Open one door or the stove opening and place a box fan in the opening. The tent will inflate like a bouncy house and be dry in short order.

Wrench

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had a 12x12 Alaknak tent, it was horrible. The storm flap for the flue is made ( or was made) to roll down instead of up. So when it would rain the rain runs down the roof right down the flue hole. Plus they put those windows in the roof rather then the sides. You know that plastic they use is not going to last very long before becoming brittle and no good. Or I was afraid if it was real cold they would brake and then there’s no way to stay dry. I returned mine after the first time I used it and it rained on us. We had 3/4 to 1 inch of water standing on the floor. Luckily we were sleeping on cots. My brother has the larger model, and it better designed. He would probably be willing to sell it, but I don’t think he would be willing to ship it.

His must be a different generation than mine. I was camped where it rained so hard I had to put wood under the tent around the fireplace opening because I had water flowing under us. We had no problems holding the water back. I do have the roof panel protection so perhaps that helped with the roof. I've had some water drip around the seal, but nothing that is anything different from a wall tent or tipi.

Wheels

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Where are you located? There’s a guy selling one on Facebook messenger, been listed for awhile, might make a deal.

Attachments

• E0E6AA2B-B210-4CCE-BA9A-15E2D4D3FD8E.png
    E0E6AA2B-B210-4CCE-BA9A-15E2D4D3FD8E.png
    627.6 KB · Views: 74
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located? I have a 12x12 with vestibule, roof liner, stove system and a clothes hanging line inside that I am going to sell. This tent is in very good condition with a couple of sealed burns from before the roof protection. ..none leak. The tent has seen under 20 days of sun.

If you buy one of these, the trick to keeping them from mildewing is to shake the tent out somewhere dry....even if it won't fit in the room you choose. Close all doors and windows. Open one door or the stove opening and place a box fan in the opening. The tent will inflate like a bouncy house and be dry in short order.
If the OP does not have intrest or lives to far away, I might be. I live in Washington state.

Stalker69

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His must be a different generation than mine. I was camped where it rained so hard I had to put wood under the tent around the fireplace opening because I had water flowing under us. We had no problems holding the water back. I do have the roof panel protection so perhaps that helped with the roof. I've had some water drip around the seal, but nothing that is anything different from a wall tent or tipi.

We didn’t use a stove, just the flap, and it unrolls top to bottom. Instead of bottom to top. Which is like a funnel.

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I have a Canvas Cabin 12x15 with exterior pole system I'm considering selling.
In central Oregon but will be traveling to green river Wyoming on 15th.
Way to cumbersome to ship.

LaGriz

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased mine in 2009. Never had any such problems with leaks. Added the vestibule in 2011 and have utilized the roof panel, and floor saver from the start. Also have a hunter model cylinder stove with a 3 gal water tank and a warming tray.

Rapid set up and tear down is the best feature in my opinion. Having a full floor is a plus if you don't like creepy crawlers or if you bring the ladies who might not enjoy a floorless shelter. This tent really shines when you crank up the stove in colder weather. Believe it is true that any single wall tent does not hold heat as well as a canvas wall tent with a fly. Just keep the stove going and damp it down for a slow burn. Can really appreciate the floorless vestibule catching any over flow of gear and to use as a "mud room" to shuck boots and wet clothing. The tent will get pretty warm in the direct sun. I try and locate a spot that gets morning sun and midday to afternoon shade. Always use a cheap tarp under the tent to help with water intrusion and add a degree of puncture resistance. Usually take my time breaking down and saving the tent if its dry and if I have the time. If the least bit damp, I sent up in the yard when I return home to dry it completely. Has been a Quality staple of my base camp for good while and I think you could do a lot worse.
LaGriz

OP
BK Ammenwerth

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m in Roseville Ca. I could drive to Redding, Reno etc. I know shipping probably isn’t a wise choice for either party. I’ll be making our annual Elk trip up to Central Idaho and I’d be rolling through Boise.

Wrench

WKR
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You're definitely out of my area. I'm in the spokane area.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.

OP
BK Ammenwerth

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We always do. This will be the first year we aren’t gonna bivy out. Elk have consistently stayed in a few drainages that are 1-3 miles in for the last few years. No need to rough it. Thanks

danarnold

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Kodiak Canvas 10X10 VX with a Vestibule Wing for $610 delivered, always wanted one and the reviews/mods guys here have privided pushed me to buy. It'll do everything I need

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. There are a couple of wall tent companies out there that sell their tents fairly close price wise as buying a used tent. I don't have any experience with the Alaknak, but have a 13x13 Elk Mtn wall tent. It has been an awesome tent. It's made from polyester, but don't have a plastic feel to them. I have a couple of buddies that have traditional wall tents from the Wall Tent Shop. They have nothing but good things to say about them . Both of these companies tents are fairly priced.