130 TMK. What to build?

Rooggvc

WKR
So I have read the 130 TMK is a monster of a bullet. Sounds like something to build a rifle around.

Tikka Action with an 18” barrel and a suppressor. Max yardage will be up to 600.

What would you / have you built?

6.5 Creed, 260 Rem, 260 AI?

What velocity are you seeing and with what powder?

tikka 6.5 creed cut to 18" is giving me 2600 fps at the muzzle with the 130 eld. should be similar with the TMK. Basically above 3000' velocity at 600 yards is >=1800fps, and i could probably take the load almost a grain higher if I cared to.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 6.5CM load doing right about 2850 from a 22" barrel with the 130 TGK and RE-16 powder which I based on Sierra's load data for the 130 TMK so it should shake out similarly.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I do like the simplicity of grabbing a Tikka 6.5. I have also looked hard at a Tikka CTR in 260 Remington. I could have my smith Ackley it.

260AI. Probably my favorite intermediate cartridge.

I’m getting 2955 with 147ELDM from a 24” barrel and SRP Peterson brass.

I’ll buy some Alpha if it ever comes back in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

woods89

WKR
I'm going to give you my thoughts on this, with the caveat that I have a little but not a lot of experience with this bullet. I hope to have more in the next few years, as it will be my hunting solution going forward in most cases.

Like all situations, you need to think about how shots typically happen for you. Are most of them at moderate ranges, or do you find yourself taking longer range shots at game frequently? I've killed a couple deer at 2800ish impact velocity, and if you hit bone it gets pretty messy.

If you are keeping shots inside of 400 yds or so, it might be hard to justify shooting them faster than Creedmoor velocities. Outside of that, maybe more velocity makes sense, just know that if you hit a shoulder at 3000fps, it's going to look a little catastrophic. It's worth noting though that I haven't seen that done, just extrapolating from what I've seen 200 fps slower.

I've shot the 156 Berger out of my Creedmoor some, and if I was dealing with more than Creedmoor velocities, that or the 147 ELD-M would be my choice. The BC of the 156s is really high, I just feel like it's a little more bullet than optimal for a Creedmoor. I've come to think that the sweet spot for them is the 130-140gr softer bullets. I was told this, but had to try it for myself.

Just one forum idiots opinion!

MichaelC

FNG
Classified Approved
I have been thinking about bullets for my new tikka 6.5x55. I think I’ll buy a box to try.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I loaded a bunch of 130 TMK in 6.5 CM over ~43 grains and change of H4350, and have tried a couple other powders from the IMR Enduron line that aren’t made any more. Around 2800 fps and change from my 20” ARC Nuc + Proof build and 2850 fps from my 22” KRG SOTIC.

The TMK and ELD-M are both emphatic performers. The 140 ELD-M is readily found in factory ammo, the 130 TMK is a hand load only proposition. I found my results were dependent on seating depth - best results with the shank firmly in the neck (but not below the neck-shoulder junction). Of interest, it wasn’t possible to be even remotely close to the lands in either chamber.