17hmr cleaning strategies

I haven't shot my 17hmr as much as I'd like because I hate cleaning it. I used to have an old beater savage 17 that I never cleaned, so I shot it fairly often. But, got a new cz 457 17hmr last year. It shoots so well and is a nice rifle, so I'd like to keep the bore in good shape.

All bore guides I've used don't keep cleaning solvent out of the action since there is no guide design that fits in the chamber. They all just butt up to the breech. I've cleaned it a few times from the muzzle end, and although I'm extremely careful and have a good coated rod, it will inevitably lead to damaging the crown if I keep doing it.

What do you guys do?

Use a secret chamber fitting bore guide?
Pull the action from the stock every time you clean?
Clean from the muzzle with a muzzle protector?

Lawnboi

WKR
I clean mine from the chamber end and just clean and degrease the chamber with an appropriately sized qtip at the end before running an alcohol soaked patch down the bore.

The hard part is keeping solvent out of the action area as the bore guide just dosnt seal

Rob5589

WKR
Clean from chamber then hose the action/trigger down with brake cleaner. For semis, I use a brass muzzle guide to keep from damaging the crown.

swopie

FNG
Just clean it and wipe up the excess. I never used a bore guide and haven’t damaged any rifles.

OP
H
My issue with just cleaning from the chamber and then cleaning up the action area of solvent after is that my stock is wood. When it drips down from the breech is definitely getting into the wood :/

Axlrod

WKR
I have a couple CZ457's (well 5). You can shoot a LOT of 17 HMR before it needs cleaning. Bore snake is a good recommendation. Things to try: Don't have your patches dripping wet, turn the rifle upside down ( a cleaning cradle helps here). If it comes down to cleaning from the muzzle you would be light years ahead to never clean.

VernAK

WKR
Volquartzen provided cleaning instructions with mine and it works fine. No cleaning rods. Squirt a little bore solvent and drag an Otis Ripcord through.

OP
H
Volquartzen provided cleaning instructions with mine and it works fine. No cleaning rods. Squirt a little bore solvent and drag an Otis Ripcord through.

That's volquartzen's cleaning recommendations? That's really surprising. Is there any occasional in depth cleaning they recommend or just always the ripcord?

Rob5589

WKR
Why clean at all?

Not necessary. If you really think you need to, pull a Boresnake through it a couple of times every year or so.

P
I agree, with centerfires. But rimfires get nasty dirty even with good ammo, especially semis.