18” 7mm Tikka

philcox

WKR
Follow up post. ADG brass, H1000, Berger 180 hybrid.

Overall accuracy was good. Penny for reference in the picture. Due to grass height, I had to shoot from the truck bed. Had some issues getting steady with the wind pushing the truck a little bit, so I moved to the ground and coincidentally shot the worst group of the day (66.5). Moved back to the bed of the truck and shot 67.

Need to keep moving up in powder charge and see where pressure/velocity end up. Primers looked good and nothing stood out as being a pressure issue. Disappointed with my magneto speed, the last several trips it’s been giving me fits so I’m not sure what my plan is there yet.

Round count is 94
Looks great. Have you done any 10-20 round (not all at once, but same POA) and figured out what the group size would be with a larger sample size? After listening to the HornaDY Podcast "your groups are too small", I too was looking for a 700-800y rifle/ammo combo. I have a 20" C6 on a Tikka action, and my groups are no where near .5 MOA with my hand loads when shooting larger groups. I'd really be curious as to what a 10 round out of your rifle/load would produce. I am trying to ascertain if my C6 barrel is just one of the "lemons" every manuf ends up producing.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Looks great. Have you done any 10-20 round (not all at once, but same POA) and figured out what the group size would be with a larger sample size? After listening to the HornaDY Podcast "your groups are too small", I too was looking for a 700-800y rifle/ammo combo. I have a 20" C6 on a Tikka action, and my groups are no where near .5 MOA with my hand loads when shooting larger groups. I'd really be curious as to what a 10 round out of your rifle/load would produce. I am trying to ascertain if my C6 barrel is just one of the "lemons" every manuf ends up producing.
I haven’t but should. After deer season I’ll likely sit down with it and shoot a composite group with what ammo I have left. I think I only have 7-8 rounds loaded up on virgin brass currently. After those are spent I’ll be working with once fired ADG and virgin Peterson just to see the difference in velocity.

This post would likely be the closest thing to what you’re looking for that I’ve photographed. These (2) 3 shot groups were several months apart, first one is when setting zero after selecting a load. Rifle was then placed in the case, shot targets at distance and hunted with for a few months, then one 3 shot group when verifying zero after a few hunts and lots of miles in the bed of the truck.

philcox

WKR
I haven’t but should. After deer season I’ll likely sit down with it and shoot a composite group with what ammo I have left. I think I only have 7-8 rounds loaded up on virgin brass currently. After those are spent I’ll be working with once fired ADG and virgin Peterson just to see the difference in velocity.

This post would likely be the closest thing to what you’re looking for that I’ve photographed. These (2) 3 shot groups were several months apart, first one is when setting zero after selecting a load. Rifle was then placed in the case, shot targets at distance and hunted with for a few months, then one 3 shot group when verifying zero after a few hunts and lots of miles in the bed of the truck.
Looking forward to the results. I am about 220 down the barrel and not found a load that works yet. I hate the fact that I have to use a mono, puts some huge limits on what I have for component options.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Looking forward to the results. I am about 220 down the barrel and not found a load that works yet. I hate the fact that I have to use a mono, puts some huge limits on what I have for component options.
I’ll be sure to post here as a follow up when I do it. Current round count is 154.

I haven’t tried any monos in mine yet. When trying monos in other rifles I typically start at 50 thou jump, working further back if needed and have found success though.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Following. I've been thinking about the same build as you just did. I have a spare Tikka 300wm that I want to play with. A lightweight short barreled suppressed 7PRC is just what I'm wanting. I would like to have the velocity to kill deer or elk at a max of 6 or 700 yards.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Following. I've been thinking about the same build as you just did. I have a spare Tikka 300wm that I want to play with. A lightweight short barreled suppressed 7PRC is just what I'm wanting. I would like to have the velocity to kill deer or elk at a max of 6 or 700 yards.
For reference- even with my low altitude of 400’ and slow velocity at 2620, the 180’s are good to 700, which was also my goal. It should speed up once I get around to loading once fired ADG instead of virgin brass. My buddy saw 100fps gain in his rifle. Overall very happy with the way it all came together.

CAE972A7-7BB3-489F-BBF8-BA9292CCE13A.png

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
For reference- even with my low altitude of 400’ and slow velocity at 2620, the 180’s are good to 700, which was also my goal. It should speed up once I get around to loading once fired ADG instead of virgin brass. My buddy saw 100fps gain in his rifle. Overall very happy with the way it all came together.

View attachment 633501
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking a setup like yours would work great for me. I do almost all of my hunting above 8000 ft.

Made it to the range today. 50 degrees out, 10mph wind. Magnetospeed was having issues but managed to record 13 shots. Average velocity with the 18” barrel was 2748 with factory 175 ELDX Precision Hunter. which is about where I expected to be. I did notice stiff bolt lift on some of the shots. Groups were great and I suspect with some handloads this rifle will be a great shooter. Recoil wasn’t bad either. Overall very happy with the rifle.

View attachment 505293View attachment 505280

Shots 1,2,3 out of the barrel.
View attachment 505306

Some additional groups from the day.
View attachment 505303View attachment 505304View attachment 505307View attachment 505308
I’m building an 18” currently. Can you shoot me your load specs to use as an idea for me please sir.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Speeds just seem slow still. I'd expect a long throated SAUM to achieve the same without pushing too hard.
I’m hoping it picks up a little more speed after the brass is once fired. I’m also planning to tweak the load a little bit since I didn’t work up to max pressure during the initial development

dwills

FNG
I have a 20” 7 mm barrel on the way to run with a suppressor. Struggling between 7 prc and 28 Nosler.