1st 5K

three5x5s

WKR
Running my 1st 5 K next Friday night at the Tiki Torch 5K in Versailles Ky. I'm 57 so I thought I better do it before I got any older. started running about 8 weeks ago at 2 tenths of a mile. I ran 2.5 miles tonight in 27min.20 sec. Any advice on what to eat & do the day before and the day of the race. Dont want to eat to much but dont want to run out of energy either.i have to work race day but I can start early and get off by 3. The race is at 8 but must be there by 6. Any advice??

Make sure you are well hydrated for the 48 hours prior to the race.

It's a 5k, you aren't going to run out of energy if you don't eat prior to the race. I've run ultras on a bagel and a banana. Eat something fairly bland a few hours before, like some oatmeal, a bagel, etc. I like coffee with my breakfast.

I'd avoid any sports drinks, gels, etc. prior to or during the race.

Do a light run and stretch well the day before.

Don't overthink it.

Have fun.

Edit: Don't worry about having to work. Last year I drove for 12 hours on day 1, ran a 50 mile on day 2, drove 12 hours on day 3. Good luck.

ethan

WKR
That's fantastic! I don't really have anything to add to what Jason said, it's just cool your doing your first 5K!!

jwatts

WKR
I did my first 5k earlier this year. Don't overthink it. I stressed over it more than I needed. Prior to running it I have been running a 5k at least 3 to 4 times a week through town in the afternoons on my own. On the afternoons I ran it on my own I didn't change my daily routine any. Think of it like this. You probably don't change your day to day routine based on the workout you are planning to do that day. No need to stress about doing anything too drastic prior to running the 5k. Make sure you are well hydrated, get a good night's sleep, have a good breakfast, and enjoy yourself.

Also, make sure to pace yourself. I wear a watch that displays pace, distance, and time. I ran my first one at what felt like my normal pace. I kept glancing down at my watch only to see I was running at close to 2 minutes per mile faster than normal. Adrenaline took over and I was outpacing myself. Once I got it leveled out I still beat my personal best by over 2 minutes. Had I not kept track of my pace I would have run out of steam pretty quick. Whatever you do during a normal run to keep your pace, do that during the race so you don't tire out before the end.

Good luck and have fun. You will find yourself doing more and more races.

Don't go out too fast. Your adrenaline will be high. Like Jwatts said, pace yourself. just don't eat right before and stay hydrated. You shouldn't need any fluids during the race, but if you feel thirsty grab a quick cup at the aid station.

I have run halves before and not taken fluids, so your body can cope for quite a while without anything.

Most of all have fun. Enjoy the experience.

jwatts

WKR
. You shouldn't need any fluids during the race, but if you feel thirsty grab a quick cup at the aid station.

I have run halves before and not taken fluids, so your body can cope for quite a while without anything.

I will second the part about not taking fluids during the race. I did a 5k one night last week. I never drink any fluids when I run on my own. This 5k had tables with water every mile. I grabbed a cup the first and second mile. Halfway through the 2nd mile I was slowed to a crawl to keep from puking that water back up. Your body will let you know if you need fluids. You shouldn't on that short of a run. Don't drink water just because it is there.

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you! I don't think it matters what you eat the night before for that distance, just make sure it's something you know. Otherwise, you might find yourself frantically searching for a portapotty!
Like others have said, enjoy yourself and just run your own race.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll eat a normal lunch and a light supper. Drink 2 hours before the race, not any at the race, and try to take my time. The main thing for this race is to finish & have fun. This will give me a time and some experince.

Finch

WKR
Good luck! I ran my first 5K back in May. Like everyone else said, I ran faster times than I had ever done while training.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Finished the race in 32min. 13 seconds. 3rd place in the 55-59 age group. I was really pleased to have that good of a time. the race was on a grass cross country course, lots of small hills to climb up and down. May get an app for my phone to pace me alittle better. Some of the runners had one that talked to them calling out distance & time.
Thanks for all the help, I had a blast.

jwatts

WKR
Nice time. I am glad it all worked out for you. I use an old Nike Fuel Band to track my runs and help me keep pace. There are apps to use your phone to sync to your shoe sensor instead of using the watch.