1st hunt, going to GMU 44

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are a lot of threads going with first hunt and all, getting as much info as people can, but I am looking for info from those who know about or have first hand experience with unit 44. Got a cow elk tag for muzzleloader. I've done the research, got things narrowed down, been in contact with people in the area.

Never can hurt to get more info if its available though. I found this forum doing a search for this very thing a few months back, contacted the guy who posted about a hunt out there, but I guess he never could get around to getting the info he thought he might have about it. I did read where he said he never saw hide nor hair of an elk. That's what I am trying to avoid. I can handle pretty much everything else, but I don't want to walk away after the season without seeing a single elk.

Anyone give me the down low on the unit? Honestly, I plan on focusing on hardscrabble, maybe the western part of Red Table. I know the usual, it has a lot of roads so pressure is going to be high, but the main reason I picked this unit is that there is one guy that's going who needs an area like this with somewhat easy access to a large portion of the unit. He is going for a bear also, while another guy and myself are going for the elk.

Thanks

jbra

FNG
I hunted 44 last year and found elk but I did see lots of headlights coming off the mountain after dark. They weren't very vocal either. All the elk I found were around 9-10,000 feet.

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
You can go out there like every other hunter and put boots on the ground and learn to hunt the area like the majority of folks that had to put blood sweat and tears into finding they're perfect spot which cost them many countless days/money either learning how to hunt or just figuring the area out. All Im trying to say is quit using social media for the quick go to areas, help me out Im a wanna be elk hunter, and just go out and learn to enjoy your self. Don't burry your self if you don't tag out. It will make you better prepared and more knowledgeable for future hunts. Srry for the rant just tired of people getting on here asking for specifics of areas but arnt willing to put the time in either on this site or in the field and kind of in a way feal like they are obligated to info

KMD

Banned
^^^this post^^^
like.jpg

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
You can go out there like every other hunter and put boots on the ground and learn to hunt the area like the majority of folks that had to put blood sweat and tears into finding they're perfect spot which cost them many countless days/money either learning how to hunt or just figuring the area out. All Im trying to say is quit using social media for the quick go to areas, help me out Im a wanna be elk hunter, and just go out and learn to enjoy your self. Don't burry your self if you don't tag out. It will make you better prepared and more knowledgeable for future hunts. Srry for the rant just tired of people getting on here asking for specifics of areas but arnt willing to put the time in either on this site or in the field and kind of in a way feal like they are obligated to info

Guess someone forgot the rules.....

The Rokslide forums are all about sharing information and communicating with others in a positive, upbeat atmosphere. Our forum posting rules are very simple: no whining, crying, sobbing, bitching, sniveling, sulking, bickering, complaining, or pouting! If you feel compelled to do any of the above, there are plenty of other website forums out there that allow such behavior. Now that you understand our rules, post away and enjoy!

I would take offense, but it is the internet..... jbra posted some helpful info, did not have to give away any "perfect spot" or do away with the hard work he put into it. Not sure why you felt the need to single me out.

Just for clarification. I came on here because I wanted to converse with those who have been to unit 44 in Colorado. I do not feel obligated to any information - in anyway, shape, or form. I am a new elk hunter. I have been to Colorado a handful of times on work related trips, and about a month ago I did put boots on the ground in unit 44 for a quick scouting trip. I found this site just before that while I was putting in "the time" to do my "own" research. I actually saw that this site was dedicated to what I am attempting to do for the first time, and found the posts and atmosphere rather friendly and upbeat. Have to say when I first read your reply it took me back a few steps....but I understand we all have our days.

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 44 last year and found elk but I did see lots of headlights coming off the mountain after dark. They weren't very vocal either. All the elk I found were around 9-10,000 feet.

Thanks. Now I feel like I am walking on egg shells asking questions....but I am going to anyways. Hope it does not offend you.

When you say "headlights" are you referring to vehicle or headlamps/people walking? The research I have done gives all indications that it will be a unit where there will be quite a few people there, I am prepared to not find myself alone for sure. It seems some areas(Red Table namely) are more popular than others for sure. Which season did you go?

I am not too worried about them being vocal. Sure, one of my hopes is to hear my first bugle in person while I am out there, but since I am only hunting a cow I don't have any plans to be calling the elk into me.

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
One curiosity I have is guys with ATV's and how much I should expect to run into them in areas they should not be in. I know that there will be heavy ATV traffic, but will it be confined to the roads and main trails or do they actually drive them deep into areas that are supposed to be off limits? There are a lot of logging roads is why I ask. In talking with the local Ranger, they said that only trails marked on the MVUM are open to ATV's. 90% of those logging roads are not marked as open.

mproberts

WKR
Geeez.. Aggressive!

I can't knock a guy for asking a simple question, clearly he is trying to put in the effort to do what he can... but yes.. no one is OBLIGATED to provide that info. If you met this guy in a bow shop or at a RMEF event would you have the same response? Not everyone can get out to scout the areas they will be hunting. Planning a hunt from the hundreds and hundreds of miles away is a daunting task, and I don't see the crime in asking a question. Just don't answer it if you personally don't want to, and hell if you want to help someone out do it.. but that is a personal choice at the end of the day.

Maybe it isn't about the miles on the boots, but the money out of the pocket. For Colorado residents $46 and a tank of gas is an acceptable price to pay for a nature walk, but if I was shelling out over $600 before travel cost as a non-resident.. then yeah maybe I would throw out some questions as well and hope for someone nice enough to pass along ANY info they had. Smart hunters will piece together this information and at the end of the day miles and effort on the ground trumps everything else. I think we all can agree that there isn't just a magical valley you have to find where all the elk line up broadside waiting to get shot. So pop another Xanax, take a deep breath and realize that anyone asking questions like this on a forum isn't going to kill the trophy elk you have been working so hard to find and pattern all offseason.

And look I know I'm the new guy here as well.. so maybe I'm just a "wanna be" elk hunter as well.. or maybe not..

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I'll freely admit, I am a wanna be elk hunter. :cool:

I have a site I am a member on here in my home state where we talk about whitetail hunting. People get opinionated quite regularly when it comes to hunting regardless of the species. I thought I knew the proper etiquette, which is to not ask people for their spots. lol

Besides, I would not want someones spot. But I would not mind if someone told me, "hey, check out this area, seen some elk in there" or "hey, don't bother with looking for them over in this area, wont even find a rabbit living there".

Honestly, I do not know what info I am looking for. I know that might sound weird, but I have got all the basic info down about elk hunting. I mean, there is a lot you can learn from reading others past hunts and just the general knowledge there is about elk hunting in general. I liked that video that was posted last week, it had a lot of good info that was just general knowledge to have.

The "info" I am looking for is from those specifically who hunt 44 and their experience in the unit. The locals I talked with said that it was a heavily hunted area by the locals. Lots of weekend hunters and such. Popular when it comes to the rifle seasons(OTC) and popular with the bear hunters. Right now my quandary is on water and how the elk in this unit relate to it. I was really considering hunting/scouting a particular area, but the maps and google earth don't show much in the way of water sources in the immediate area. There are sources within a few miles, but I am wondering if people find that there are a lot of springs and such on the mountain sides that are not shown on the maps.

The second thoughts I have is if it would behoove me to spend much time glassing, or more time walking. I know the pro's and cons of each, but is this unit more conducive to one or the other?

Look, I plan on taking lots of pictures and keeping lots of notes. I cross my fingers that before the years end I will come back on here and share my entire experience. I am not below helping others at all, but when it comes to this type of hunting I have nothing to say because I have zero experience. So its kind of hard for me to plug into the other parts of this forum. I guess I am one of those "its better to keep your mouth shut that to open it and remove all doubt" (about a persons stupidity on a subject).

jbra

FNG
Thanks. Now I feel like I am walking on egg shells asking questions....but I am going to anyways. Hope it does not offend you.

When you say "headlights" are you referring to vehicle or headlamps/people walking? The research I have done gives all indications that it will be a unit where there will be quite a few people there, I am prepared to not find myself alone for sure. It seems some areas(Red Table namely) are more popular than others for sure. Which season did you go?

I am not too worried about them being vocal. Sure, one of my hopes is to hear my first bugle in person while I am out there, but since I am only hunting a cow I don't have any plans to be calling the elk into me.

I hunted the 3rd week of the season last year. It was really hot and only heard a hand full of bugles. Most of the elk I found was at or near springs or wallows. Every where I went I saw hunters at trail heads but never ran into one guy on the mountain. That being said, while I was packing my bull off the mountain I saw 2 other groups of hunters head lamps, I'm assuming they were also packing elk out. I ran into a good number of day hikers on the trails but once you get off them you should be fine. One spot I hunted was only a couple hundred yards off a road and I got into a herd. I saw lots of deer hunters using spotters from their trucks here. Just go hunt and try to learn while you're out there, chances are you'll screw up but that's the best way to learn to hunt elk. Hope this helps.

Booooo!!!

Backyard

WKR
maybe it isn't about the miles on the boots, but the money out of the pocket. For colorado residents $46 and a tank of gas is an acceptable price to pay for a nature walk, but if i was shelling out over $600 before travel cost as a non-resident.. Then yeah maybe i would throw out some questions as well and hope for someone nice enough to pass along any info they had. Smart hunters will piece together this information and at the end of the day miles and effort on the ground trumps everything else. I think we all can agree that there isn't just a magical valley you have to find where all the elk line up broadside waiting to get shot. So pop another xanax, take a deep breath and realize that anyone asking questions like this on a forum isn't going to kill the trophy elk you have been working so hard to find and pattern all offseason.

bingo!

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the 3rd week of the season last year. It was really hot and only heard a hand full of bugles. Most of the elk I found was at or near springs or wallows. Every where I went I saw hunters at trail heads but never ran into one guy on the mountain. That being said, while I was packing my bull off the mountain I saw 2 other groups of hunters head lamps, I'm assuming they were also packing elk out. I ran into a good number of day hikers on the trails but once you get off them you should be fine. One spot I hunted was only a couple hundred yards off a road and I got into a herd. I saw lots of deer hunters using spotters from their trucks here. Just go hunt and try to learn while you're out there, chances are you'll screw up but that's the best way to learn to hunt elk. Hope this helps.

It does help. I was really wondering about running into people, I don't mind but it did make me curious of the probability. With the mule deer I sawn while out there, and the history of this being a good unit for some trophies, I figured I would see a lot of deer hunters.

When you say herd, what was the average amount of elk you would see bunched up together? While talking with the biologist, he seemed to indicate that the elk in this unit would be just a hand full(if even that) here and there. I saw some tracks, up in some snow banks that were still there on the mountain, and they were singles and doubles. For sure not any thing I would call a "herd" that came through. But, this was just one area I scouted.

Thanks for the info. Another one of my curiosities was that some of the places I have seen via google earth look like they would hold elk, but don't seem that far off the road. In my mind, when I keep on hearing of how popular and everything it is, I think of the elk being pushed to the deepest recesses of the areas without roads. I know that's a standard you can go by, and not necessarily always the rule.

Were these springs you talk about ones that are indicated on topo maps, or ones that you just found and have no indication? I did not have enough time while I was there to check out very many of them, and should have spent more time looking, but the one I did go to that is indicated as a spring did not seem to be running or I just did not find its right location. This is one of my biggest questions of the area, that I know is going to just take time looking, but hoping that its not too much to ask of people to share info about. I am not asking for the specifics on what spring/water source they found, but rather curious if it lines up with things you find on maps and such.

I get that I am going to have to just hunt, but it would be nice to have some plan in place other than just wondering the woods.

Bar

Banned
I'm with the same thoughts as Brett. I see too many new elk hunters come to a hunting forum, and ask where to hunt a unit. They make 1-2 posts, get the info they need, and never post again on that site. Joining a forum and letting the members get to know you, contribute to the forum, and then ask your questions. I love helping new hunters, but I never tell them where to hunt. I feel that's a big part of the hunt, and they should learn how to do it themselves. So, I almost always ignore a thread that just asks where to hunt.

With that said, I will offer some help here to the OP. You mention Google Earth, and it's ok for seeing the lay of the land, but if you don't know what to look for it's not much help. The maps offered by the DOW on their web site will give you much more info on where the elk may be.

One step beyond the maps on the DOW is a new business that sells maps. I have mixed feelings about it, because he gives out too much info, but it is what it is, and all new elk hunters in Colorado should buy his maps. Here's the link.

http://startmyhunt.com/

RCR

Lil-Rokslider

I am not below helping others at all, but when it comes to this type of hunting I have nothing to say because I have zero experience.

Newt,

I applaud you for giving a new area and new game a try. Once you get out there you'll be hooked, "successful" or not. That said, your first hunt to the mountains can be an overwhelming experience AND an expensive one. I'm not an expert elk hunter by any means, but I've filled the freezer on a few occasions with bow and rifle. I'd be happy to help you once you get boots on the ground here in CO. I normally bowhunt a few other other areas and have never been to 44, but I'd give you a couple days to help you figure it out.

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with the same thoughts as Brett. I see too many new elk hunters come to a hunting forum, and ask where to hunt a unit. They make 1-2 posts, get the info they need, and never post again on that site. Joining a forum and letting the members get to know you, contribute to the forum, and then ask your questions. I love helping new hunters, but I never tell them where to hunt. I feel that's a big part of the hunt, and they should learn how to do it themselves. So, I almost always ignore a thread that just asks where to hunt.

With that said, I will offer some help here to the OP. You mention Google Earth, and it's ok for seeing the lay of the land, but if you don't know what to look for it's not much help. The maps offered by the DOW on their web site will give you much more info on where the elk may be.

One step beyond the maps on the DOW is a new business that sells maps. I have mixed feelings about it, because he gives out too much info, but it is what it is, and all new elk hunters in Colorado should buy his maps. Here's the link.

http://startmyhunt.com/

Thanks. I am in agreement also with your thoughts on new elk hunters coming to a forum and asking for spots to hunt. I believe I have made it crystal clear that my intensions are as far from that as possible. Maybe because I said I was new, and this is my first elk hunt, I automatically get tagged with that persona and people read past what I type and go straight to the negatives. I plan on contributing as much as possible, and figured this was as good as any place to start and let people get to know who I am. Maybe people see "info" as "where to hunt", I see it as just general information. Which, I might say, I have received quite a bit so far and am grateful for it. Brett, all intensions aside, jumped the gun on what my motives are and did not look at the actual words I typed.

I actually have a map from that website. I am like you and have mixed feelings about it too. Its the same feelings I have about the information that the biologist gave me. The fact is, if this is all information being given to who ever has the money or time to ask for it, then surely I am not the only one. So, the only thing that keeps me from hunting arms length from those other guys who have gone the path I have is how far they are willing to go into the woods and off the roads/trails. It does not bother me for others to have the info, nor for them to be hunting in the unit I am, but mainly for safety reasons I like to have some distance between myself and other hunters.

So while I have the map, I am taking it with a grain of salt for sure. That, and what the biologist told me, even though he had some good information to share and I believe him 100%.

I have a feeling that this might be one of those situations that closely resembles something we deal with here in my state. In my state, Arkansas, we have WMA's and other public places where the public can hunt without getting permits and are relatively close to higher populated areas - contrasted to the big blocks of national forest that do receive a lot of hunters, but are much larger in size and harder to access.

These smaller WMA's get a lot of hunting pressure because they are a relatively short drive for a lot of people, and easy access. Kind of what I am seeing with unit 44 in Colorado. If you go to some of the forums where people talk about these WMA's, you find a LOT of people who are less than happy to find out someone new is wanting to hunt the area. And regardless if that person is just coming on the forum to say "Hi", or "Hey, help me with finding a spot", they treat them the same way.

I have come to find out that hunting has become a sport instead of something people just like to do/enjoy. Just like any other sport, people find themselves in competition with others. If I was playing a game of football, baseball, basketball, etc, you bet that I am not going to tell you what my next move is or the tricks I have learned to do that enable me to have a greater advantage over you. Sure, I will throw out a tip or two, but not any major plays.

I get it. While I do not look at hunting that way, I know that others do. I respect it, and only ask for the same in return. I am not going to kill all the elk in the unit, I promise. I just want one little ole cow. That's it.

OP
N

Newt

Lil-Rokslider

I am not below helping others at all, but when it comes to this type of hunting I have nothing to say because I have zero experience.

Newt,

I applaud you for giving a new area and new game a try. Once you get out there you'll be hooked, "successful" or not. That said, your first hunt to the mountains can be an overwhelming experience AND an expensive one. I'm not an expert elk hunter by any means, but I've filled the freezer on a few occasions with bow and rifle. I'd be happy to help you once you get boots on the ground here in CO. I normally bowhunt a few other other areas and have never been to 44, but I'd give you a couple days to help you figure it out.

I figure I'll be hooked. lol. I have wanted to do it for so long and just made excuse after excuse because it cost so much. Looking back, it would have cost a lot less back then. Now I realize I am going to spend my money somewhere, might as well be doing something I love to do. And while I have never "Elk" hunted, I love hunting period.