20-30 degree bag options

Lawnboi

WKR
Well im in the market for a new bag. Up until now i was planning on getting a kifaru slick, however i dont know if i should get a full zip bag, i like to be able to unzip as needed. Also 6-8 weeks to wait with my 0 degree lithium is going to suck! I cant keep sleeping in that sweat box! Also starting picking around the idea of a 30 degree down bag. Any suggestions?

Marmot seems to have come out with some good liking 30 degree bags the last 2 years.

Also im thinking of putting a bivy over whatever bag i choose, because i do go floorless and would like the option to keep down completely dry. Looking at what tigoat has to offer, any one use them?

Here some options i was looking at

Marmot plasma 30
Marmot hydrogen
Marmot arroyo
Kifaru slick 20
WM sycamore
WM carabou

All these bags seem super light, all under 2lbs incuding a light bivy, exept the slick.

Tigoat ptarmigan bivy w/ bugnet for summer.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Maybe even the WM highlite or summerlite. Only 1lb wow!!! add a bivy and i think that would be one light, slick setup!

I suppose i shouldnt be too concerned about the UL fabric if i am going to put in in a bivy anyways.

WM highlite at 16oz + a ptarmigan at 6 oz. Looking light a very nice, light 3 season setup.

Last edited:

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at this down quilt as a very light weight solution http://enlightenedequipment.com/epiphany.htm.

Depending on your size a 30 degree quilt can weigh as little as 13.75 ounces. The shell is made of cuben fiber so it is completely water proof. It has an inflation tube that allows you to fill the quilt with air. Here is a review of the 0 degree version. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...&cat=Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags&cid=38

The reviewer mentions that he can comfortably use the 0 degree quilt in temperature ranges of 40 - 0 degrees by adjusting how much air he puts into the quilt.

The biggest issue for me at the moment is that the cuben fiber makes it a vapor barrier which has both pros and cons.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had used the hydrogen for several years. It is small in size so take that into consideration. Once your in it, if you turn over the bag goes with you, which is kind of a pain. I would look at the Montbell UL Spiral Down bags. Super light, roomy and comfortable.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone use any WM warmer bags? Looking hard at the caribou, highlite and summerlite. All of these would weigh around 1.5lbs w/ a bivy. And id assume by adding a bivy id get myself conservatively down to around 30 degrees. Add baselayers and puffy jacket and stuff and i see no reason i wouldnt be able to get these down to the 20s. Im a very warm sleeper.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Now my focus has changed to a feathered friend 30 degree bag. Man the options are almost endless! Feathered friends bags seem to be talked of very highly though

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Way way too many bags out there. Im just going to snap and order a slickbag tomorrow and deal with roating in my lithium for the next 6-8weeks.

dotman

WKR
You could order the base bag in 40* if you want one quickly and still order the 20* :)

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
40 is a little too warm, and i still wouldnt have it by next weekend. Just got word that i got a few days off so im headed west for the first time this year. Cant wait. The slick bag though........ i will have to wait for. Im going with the slick though, solely for durability, since it will be in a floorless shelter. I wont be as scared with it as i would a UL down bag.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Heck I still use a bivy in a floorless even with synethic bags, just good insurance and nice when you setup camp on the wet ground. 6 oz of bivy plus a down bag awfully cozy though. :D

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Another reason is the durability, i dont want to punch a little hole in my bag from the ground and have down fill my tipi. I have to wait a while though to order the bag now :( Ill just have to deal with having to wake up and drink a gallon of water to replenish all the sweat i lost during the night.

Western Mountaineering bags are as nice as it gets! I use then with a floor less shelter, no bivy. But I live in Colorado where it is fairly dry

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I really like my WM bags, a whole 'nother level of in sleeping bag quality. So light, but so warm and comfy for the weight!! Pretty much sold on WM bags for most of my uses, unless its Kodiak or a non-weight critical trip like I am leaving for on Thursday for 4 days winter camping off of snomachines (snowmobiles to most of you :D)

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425