20 Accutips vs SSTs

rgref522

WKR
Looking for feedback on hornandy 20 gauge ssts vs remington accutips. 2.75 inch.

they chart pretty close.

2 questions

which do you prefer and why.

second due to difficulty finding ammo im hoping to zero my guns with one load, and swap the other depending on ammo availability and have the gun still be pretty accurate. anyone shoot both and feel like they could be interchanged in a pinch?

I'm not expecting a perfect swap here but could i still have a 200 yd slug gun swapping the rounds around without having to worry about resighting in my gun. I will know how each shoots of i go this route with practice. i won't be guessing or trying this blind but I'm looking for feedback before i go buying a box of each here and there as i find them.

thanks

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Savage 220 and Savage recommends the Accutips. I experimented with several types of slugs and came to the conclusion that I should have listened to the factory as it definitely shoots the Accutips the best. Slug guns are known to be very finicky as to which slug shoots the best from one gun to the next. I do know the Accutips are nasty and do a number on deer. The Accutips are very hard to find this year. I use them because they shoot the best through my gun and they are extremely effective on deer.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
I've only been able to find Hornady 2 3/4" 20g the last 2 years. Fortunately, both of my Savage 220s shoots them very well. I can't tell how well they work on deer yet as I haven't seen one I'd like to shoot. Passed plenty of does and spikes. I had 2 yearlings and 4 does walk 3 yards from my stand Saturday evening 15 minutes before end of shooting time. Wind swirled and they spooked. On to the muzzy.

I have shot the sst, accutips in both 3 " & 2.75"..... without a doubt the 3 " shot much better (out of my gun at least) than the rest.

rclouse79

WKR
When I bought my 220 a few years ago, the Hornaday slugs were the most readily available, so I bought those first. After having very high expectations for the gun, I was a little disappointed with my groups at 100 yards with the Hornaday. I got my hands on some 2 3/4 inch Remington Accutips and they shot amazing groups. I also found the last three boxes of Barnes Vor-tx 20 gauge slugs in existence. The Barnes shot exactly with my accutips.
I killed a cow elk this year with the Barnes slugs. Unfortunately, I am down to 11 left and it does not appear that they are made anymore. The Barnes performed awesome on elk. From 70 yards it expanded perfectly and stopped in hide on the far side.
I look online from time to time, and it seems like a non rifled 20 gauge slugs are in short supply. Luckily I have 15 boxes of the accutips, which should be a lifetime supply. Good luck finding ammo.

jazz3ring

WKR
I have not shot the SST’s or the Accutips out of my 220 but do use the 3” Barnes Vor-Tx Expanders.

I highly recommend them if you can find them. I found a case of them this summer at a local store.

Extremely accurate for me and excellent on game performance.

OP
R

rgref522

WKR
i have heard about those barnes a couple have mentioned. are they just hard to find or are they no longer made at all?

rclouse79

WKR
i have heard about those barnes a couple have mentioned. are they just hard to find or are they no longer made at all?

I have been looking on and off for over a year. I have never seen them online or locally.

jazz3ring

WKR

I believe Barnes still makes them, they are just hard to find.

The 2 links below says they have them in stock. I’m not sure if they are legit sites as I have not ordered from either.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Federal Trophy Copper (1900fps) grouped best out of my 220. They have been very effective out to 135 yards. Shot a nice whitetail last week at 120, bang-flop.

Looking for feedback on hornandy 20 gauge ssts vs remington accutips. 2.75 inch.

they chart pretty close.

2 questions

which do you prefer and why.

second due to difficulty finding ammo im hoping to zero my guns with one load, and swap the other depending on ammo availability and have the gun still be pretty accurate. anyone shoot both and feel like they could be interchanged in a pinch?

I'm not expecting a perfect swap here but could i still have a 200 yd slug gun swapping the rounds around without having to worry about resighting in my gun. I will know how each shoots of i go this route with practice. i won't be guessing or trying this blind but I'm looking for feedback before i go buying a box of each here and there as i find them.

thanks

What 20 ga slug gun you shooting?

rclouse79

WKR
I believe Barnes still makes them, they are just hard to find.

The 2 links below says they have them in stock. I’m not sure if they are legit sites as I have not ordered from either.

I don't even get excited anymore when I see ammo in stock, unless it is reputable company like midway. I always google all the rip off sites and the first thing that pops up is scam alert. It is too bad there isn't a way to get rid of all those places.

Joebe

FNG
My 220 likes the 2 3/4 accu tips. Did not like the 3". I also looked high and low. when they showed up at an online reputable dealer (Midway) I bought 10 boxes. Cost is silly. I was thinking about putting a new glass on my gun but decided against based on the total cost of glass plus ammo to site in. It's crazy.

rclouse79

WKR
My 220 likes the 2 3/4 accu tips. Did not like the 3". I also looked high and low. when they showed up at an online reputable dealer (Midway) I bought 10 boxes. Cost is silly. I was thinking about putting a new glass on my gun but decided against based on the total cost of glass plus ammo to site in. It's crazy.
If you decide to get a scope, I love my fixed 6x swfa. I zeroed it at 100 and it was dead nuts at 200 after dialing. I have a drop chart for every 5 yards, because it drops like a rock. I would keep shots at game under 150.