20 MOA or 0 MOA Picatinny scope base

BlackTail

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t forget the ZL2 will limit you to two turns on your turret. 20 MOA on the first turn and 18 on the second. You won’t get more than 38 MOA out of that scope no matter what rail you put it on.

Llama32

WKR
I have a long-range rifle set up question that I hope the forum could help me answer. I'm looking at setting up my 338 Win mag to be able to get out to 700 yards for Elk in North Idaho. I've decided on the following scope. LEUPOLD VX-5HD 3-15x44mm CDS-ZL2 (30mm) Wind-Plex Reticle. Currently has Leupold Rings and bases. I was considering the option of putting that glass on other host rifles like my AR-10, SPR etc. My question is should I get a 0 MOA or a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail scope mount for that glass? The 338 is a Browning A-Bolt stainless Stalker Left Hand. I was planning on Nightforce 30mm High Rings. Do I need the 20 MOA on the Scope Base or Don't I? I was looking at a 250 yard zero. Thank you folks. P.S I handload.
I put 20moa on everything

Why not rather have it

I know this is an old post but hoping someone might respond. New to mid to long range shooting experience here. My expected range is zero to 500 yds at this point. I have a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM. I purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 4X12X40 CDX scope and mounted it using the factory zero moa rail.
Zero at 100 yd used up quite a bit of elvation MOA it seems. It is suposed to have 80MOA of elevation travel if I am reading the specs correctly. I only have about 1 full rotation of elevation left after 100 yd zero. That does not seem like very much left for the longer range shooting? I have low Leupold mounts and the scope still seems to be mounted pretty high off the barrel. Is this a situation where installing the 20 MOA rail will help me get some of my elevation adjustment back or should I be looking for some extra low scope rings? I hope this question makes sense. Any guidence would be much appreciated.

I know this is an old post but hoping someone might respond. New to mid to long range shooting experience here. My expected range is zero to 500 yds at this point. I have a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM. I purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 4X12X40 CDX scope and mounted it using the factory zero moa rail.
Zero at 100 yd used up quite a bit of elvation MOA it seems. It is suposed to have 80MOA of elevation travel if I am reading the specs correctly. I only have about 1 full rotation of elevation left after 100 yd zero. That does not seem like very much left for the longer range shooting? I have low Leupold mounts and the scope still seems to be mounted pretty high off the barrel. Is this a situation where installing the 20 MOA rail will help me get some of my elevation adjustment back or should I be looking for some extra low scope rings? I hope this question makes sense. Any guidence would be much appreciated.

You're not reading the specs correctly. With a 0 MOA rail, you will have roughly 1/2 of the total travel, or 40 MOA from your zero to end of range on an 80 MOA scope.

This doesn't apply to this scope because the turret has a travel limit (likely due to its zero stop design):

1682694482407.png

If you get the full 14 MOA, a different base won't help you. The good news is, pretty much any full-size centerfire cartridge will get to 500 yds from a 100 yd zero with 14 MOA.

You're not reading the specs correctly. With a 0 MOA rail, you will have roughly 1/2 of the total travel, or 40 MOA from your zero to end of range on an 80 MOA scope.

This doesn't apply to this scope because the turret has a travel limit (likely due to its zero stop design):

View attachment 547782

If you get the full 14 MOA, a different base won't help you. The good news is, pretty much any full-size centerfire cartridge will get to 500 yds from a 100 yd zero with 14 MOA.
Good eyes!

Had a similar issue with a Swaro scope; once zero was set there was only about 13.25 MOA of elevation available. Sold the scope for a song due to it leaving too much shooting distance on the table.

OK, thanks much and I really appreciate the information. I am going back to "study hall" and review my class notes yet again to make sure I understand. It still seems like a bit of wizardry to me. I had planned on getting the CDS dial cut for for the load I am using, 143 gn ELDX Hunter, which is what I am handloading for this rifle. It was making me a bit vervious to think about how little MOA was left over after getting the zero at 100 yds. I did not think to look and see how much MOA was needed to get from zero to 500 yds. According the ballistics calculator I used, that load mentioned above needs 11 MOA to go from 100 Yds to 500 yds. So, yes, the one full revolution (up) I have left on the elevation dail should get me to 500 yds with me not doing anything else to the set up right now. Thanks again. Back to the shooting range to try it out.