2012 Mule Deer Goals

RUTTIN

WKR
First goal was just to pull an archery tag here in Utah. (got that one) Now all is left, is to wait for the late season archery hunt on the Wasatch front. I have never killed a hard horned buck with my bow, that being said any four point hard horned will be my goal. Good luck to all, and I hope your goals are reached!

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
My goal is to tag out on 4x4 or better on both of my tags this year. I have two great hunts this year. The first hunt is a high country archery deer hunt in SW Colorado where I struck out 2 years ago and didnt get drawn last year. It was my first hunt of this type and i hope i learned enough about myself, my gear and the animals to be successful this year.

My second hunt this year is a late season muzzy hunt in California which is arguably one of the top two or three hunts in the state. Takes max points just to have a 10% chance of drawing this tag.

JG358

WKR
My goal this year is a velvet muley. I'd like to say I'm going to hold out for a 180+ but I'm not known for passing up on shot opportunities ;)

ckleeves

WKR
My goal is the same as always, to arrow a smallish 4 point in the first few days so I can move on to elk hunting!!!

And a big old 200" buck just wouldn't like hanging out with my collection of various 130"-160" bucks it would make him feel outta place and might give him a complex!

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Same as every other year arrow the new world record.
Then after multiple blown stalks and smelling like an old bear I'll stumble upon buckey and shoot a two point with a 12" spread but the original goal carries over to next year

Mckinnon

WKR
Get a deer with my bow. First year archery hunting, getting anything with horns on the ground would be great!

Have three tags for fall. Home state Idaho tag, looking for same type as always 170-180. Hunted this country a bunch and that seems to be the top end. Colorado 3rd season, 190 plus. Montana, going to have fun and shoot a mature buck.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
I have set a pretty high standard for myself this year. And if I don't reach this goal, thats ok as well.

I have two high country hunts planned this year in Colorado and Wyoming. I would love to take two bucks in one season, both in the 180"s. To take one buck in the 180"s will be a challenge. CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bohntr

WKR
My mule deer goal is the same as it has been for the last 30 years; have a good time chasing them with a bow, if I see something that makes my heart beat a bit faster then I loosen an arrow (regardless of score), share my failure and success with those who are interested.

I guess I'll add one more goal this year; be careful and safe I'll be backpacking solo in the high-country this year in CO for about 8 days, as my hunting partner can't do both trips (CO & AZ elk). He picked elk over mule deer (can't blame him since it's AZ). :)

Slim Jim

WKR
To finally bag a buck with a bow. I rifle hunted my whole life and last year was my first year hunting with a bow. I got a shot off at 42 yards on a decent 3x and missed on a quartering away shot. That was last year with an older bow. This year with the new bowtech insanity, a lot of practice, and exercising like cameron hanes (well maybe not that extreme), I hope to make it happen in the high country with at least a decent 4x

2rocky

WKR
I don't have a MULE deer tag this year, but my 70 year old Father does in Modoc County CA.

I'd like to repay the years of his being MY wingman as I was growing up.

I was scoring a big 125" blacktail and he said he would be happy with a buck like that. I hope we can put a 150 or better buck in his sights. Not sure I can hold him back though!

I'll be happy if he makes a good shot, and we pack it out on his new horse with no wrecks.

Last edited:

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
i have a big goal this year. I want to take a mature deer, a turkey and a bear this season. I got close last year but the bear eluded me. This year will hopefully be different with the drought, the bears are moving to the water so they are a little more concentrated. Daniel

bigmoose

WKR
No deer tag out of state but I did get an X zone in California and I will be looking for a good mature 4X4. Hope to put a D3-5 buck in the freezer first. Then off to Colorado for a third seasn elk hunt...any legal bull. Close to the road if I'm lucky!

Moose

My partner and I drew unit 18 Idaho tags!

Last day I'd shoot a 160"+ but for the first few weeks its 175 or better... or until I see a buck and my first thought is; "Thats HIM!". I'd take gigantic mainframe and mass and crabby forks over a solid 22-24" 160 buck any day...

Mike

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm going afield with a couple general, OTC tags this fall without a whole lot of time. My goal is to take the best buck I find. I like the one on one aspect of hunting a single buck once I find what I'm after. Once you find him, it's just trying to make the most of it and get that one opportunity. Realistically, I'll be tickled if I can tag two mature 160+ bucks with my bow. Hoping to top 170" with at least one of them, but the goal can move dramatically upward if there are better bucks around. If I find a 200 incher or a couple 180's there won't be any 160 - 170 bucks hitting the dirt.

DC