2013 Ram 1500 SLT? Decent truck?

Idaboy

WKR
I found a 2013Ram 80K miles, not run off road, as looking for truck for son. I have no experience with Ram or hemi engine.

Anything to know about these? If routine maintenance would it be good to 150K?

Thanks!

Runar

FNG
I have a 2004 5.7 with 300k, original owner, original everything. 2017 5.7 with 60k, no issues. Great engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I have a 2014 1500. I do not recommend it. I had to replace the headers at 50k to get rid of the “hemi tick”. Google it, it’s a design flaw that never goes away unless you tap and remove the broken header bolts and then install a stainless aftermarket header so the bolts stop shearing. It’s ubiquitous on the early Hemi Rams - it will fail repeatedly until the permanent fix is made.

My truck is in the shop at the moment, getting the transmission replaced. The 8 speed tranny is a complete piece of crap that will start failing around 100k. It’s a thing.

The body rattles and creaks and I’m always chasing the latest sound. The seats are the most uncomfortable seats I’ve ever sat in. Caveat Emptor. I doubt your son will care about those issues, though.

If you are looking at a non-Hemi engine, the header may not be an issue. If it’s got an aluminum block and a cast iron header on it, you should plan on having to spend about $1500-2000 for parts and labor to get it fixed. I did it myself and it’s almost impossible on a 4x4. I’d pay someone to do it next time. I’m not sure how reliable the other transmissions are, but I would not buy one with an 8 speed.

18529997-CD37-42C8-A30E-328EF66C3BA9.jpeg

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
I have a 2014 1500. I do not recommend it. I had to replace the headers at 50k to get rid of the “hemi tick”. Google it, it’s a design flaw that never goes away unless you tap and remove the broken header bolts and then install a stainless aftermarket header so the bolts stop shearing. It’s ubiquitous on the early Hemi Rams - it will fail repeatedly until the permanent fix is made.

My truck is in the shop at the moment, getting the transmission replaced. The 8 speed tranny is a complete piece of crap that will start failing around 100k. It’s a thing.

The body rattles and creaks and I’m always chasing the latest sound. The seats are the most uncomfortable seats I’ve ever sat in. Caveat Emptor. I doubt your son will care about those issues, though.

If you are looking at a non-Hemi engine, the header may not be an issue. If it’s got an aluminum block and a cast iron header on it, you should plan on having to spend about $1500-2000 for parts and labor to get it fixed. I did it myself and it’s almost impossible on a 4x4. I’d pay someone to do it next time. I’m not sure how reliable the other transmissions are, but I would not buy one with an 8 speed.

View attachment 540233
Wow...thanks for info....Will read up on

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2010 2500 with 225k its been the best truck I've ever owned.

Now I just traded off my 2016 ram 1500 due to the vibration issue from the front end. After a few mechanics and two sets of different tires. I researched it and found this to be a common problem with the generation.

On the 1500, I've always heard the front ends being weak and needing rebuilt around 75k if used off pavement much. My sample size of one from a work truck did have this issue.

Curious as to Dodge owners thoughts and if it's the same with the 2500s?

Our local Forest Service/ gavel roads are hard on front ends.