2015 Delta ram

XCRNR

FNG
Okay, so here's what I can come up with for the story:

Obviously, I drew the DS203 (non-motorized hunt) back in February. After many hours on the forums prior to the announcement, I knew that should I be a lucky winner, I was planning on doing the fly-in option to the Johnson River area. The morning of the draw, I called Jim Cummings at Golden Eagle and booked a flight for the 9th. I did not see any point in being in there any earlier, since (naively) scouting would be easy in one day... right? Jim assured me that he would put me in to a place called Boulder Creek, and that there were not only good sheep numbers in there, but he would not put in anyone else until I was out on the 15th - a man of his word for sure, since there are very good sheep numbers in there, and he did not put anyone else in there... can't say the same for 40 Mile and Mt. Hayes... which comes up later in the story.

Aug. 8th - My most superb hunting Partner, Hans, and I drive the long 6 hour, construction-filled journey to the end of the road - Delta Junction. We eat a buffalo burger at the Drive-In, and call Jim to see about making departure time for the morning. He tells us we can leave at 7am and if we want to sleep in his hangar, we're more than welcome to do that. Sounds like a plan! The weather is 74 degrees, calm sky, and a little smoke haze from a distant fire. Hans and I head to the watering hole - The Cave - and close out the night meeting a great group of out-of-state construction boys who are spending every hour they are not working, exploring our great state... and offering golf tips (Thanks Jimmy). We get back to the hangar about 1am and crash on the floor.

August 9th: We wake up early (5am) and pack everything up so we can fly in. Jim comes down and begins a VERY thorough pre-flight on his beautiful Super Cub. I honestly cannot say enough about his abilities in the air, or as a pilot. This guy is one of the great ones for sure! I never worried about safety or integrity with Jim at the yoke. I'm first, so we take off to head into sheep country and Jim has Hans drive out to the Dry Creek airstrip since it will be a quicker flight to grab him from there. Hans grabs some tea-colored coffee from the gas station and speeds toward the airstrip 60 miles away. As Jim and I come into the landing zone, the wind is bouncing us really hard, and Jim estimated the gusts to be higher than 60mph. Attempting to land, he simply cannot put the plane on the ground safely, so he bails and we head over to the Dry Creek airstrip to "try later". Jim later admitted that it was one of the 'closer calls' he had flown in about 10 years, which made me feel a little less sheepish about my terror as the plane was being thrown about violently 30 feet off the gravel. Jim left me at the airstrip for Hans to retrieve me, and he took off to help some more hunters in another area. Hans drove up, bewildered, and we headed to the Steakhouse for a greasy, warm breakfast. The rest of the day we wandered both miles of Delta Junction looking for something to do, as the wind tore through the valley. Jim called us at 9pm to tell us that we could sleep in his hangar again, and he would get us in at 6:30am, but it might be a bit 'damp'. We were at The Cave, again, nursing our sorrow over being in Delta and not 'boots on the ground'.

Aug. 10th (Opening Day): A man of his word, Jim was right... only I would describe the rain as more of a deluge rather than a dampness. Again, we took off and Hans headed to Dry Creek. This time, we cleared the Gerstle valley and the sky was blue and beautiful in the Johnson drainage. Jim put me down without incident, and headed back for Hans. While I was waiting, I noticed two separate sets of boot prints heading from the landing zone up into the Boulder Creek drainage. I set my bags down and watched dozens of unsuspecting caribou cross the Johnson and wander up both the Spur and Boulder Creeks.

Hans arrived, and I showed the boots to both he and Jim. Jim was a bit upset since he told me that neither 40 mile or Mt. Hayes usually use this spot, and if they do... it's usually mentioned as to keep hunting pressure down in the various drainages. Oh well, it was nice, we were in country, and eager to get hiking. And then it started to rain...

Aug 10th (continued): Jim left us on the airstrip with some advice: "Head up that drainage... there will be sheep in there." While I am not looking for locations of rams, it sure would have been nice to know about the difference in the north side and the south side of the creek we were walking up. I searched around on the forums for months about this area, but nobody would give me anything specific. All I got was, "be ready to cross water", "it's brushy", and "beware the boulders". The rain came in about 9am and Hans and I were quickly soaked through our gear. The Kuiu Yukon is nice gear, but it cannot withstand 3 inches of rain in 24 hours while alder busting, cliff climbing, and wading through creeks where the rocks are tumbling down the bottom from the over-swollen banks. We got 'clipped-out' at least 7 times heading up the drainage, and had to scurry over scree, and climb through some Kodiak worthy alders to head into sheep country. Draw tags are supposed to be easy, right?

About halfway up the river (as it was no longer a creek by definition), I became mildly hypothermic and started stumbling on the banks of the water. I suffer from reynauds and get cold very easily (I know, some sheep hunter, right?) so Hans made me empty my water bottle and he boiled up some hot water and put it in my coat to bring me back to my senses. We tried warming up for about 45 minutes, but decided to trudge on to make our bodies get back to 'normal'.

Again, any input on north vs. south would have ben great... Turns out the north side of the creek has a 4-wheeler trail up the river about 1/2 way. The rest of the hike is void of any 'cliff-outs' and we were able to walk out on the north in less than 4 hrs, where the south-side approach took us more than 8 hrs - with lighter packs.

We arrived into a promising run out, could not see the top of the mountains, but there was fresh water and a somewhat flat (filled with brush and rocks) slanted area to set up 'Hotel Hilleberg'. The rain continued for 38 hrs. and we sat inside and watched each other's beards grow. Hans' won.

OP
X

XCRNR

FNG
Aug. 11th: More rain until 5pm. Nothing to describe other than Hans' impressive facial hair. When the rain let up enough to step outside and take a look around, I saw another hunter walking through the brambles and alders towards our tent. His name was Heath and he too could take no more time in a tent. His hunting partner stayed with the tent, probably a little less motivated since he didn't have a tag. Nor did Hans for that matter, which adds to his superiority as a hunting partner. Any guy who will mule for another guy on a sheep hunt is a real friend in my book - it's not like there is 1/2 a moose worth of meat in it for them.
We chatted with Heath for a bit, and he told us that he was moving up the river, and going to hunt another drainage. We worked out where we would be, and agreed (as all hunters should) to hunt different areas and check in if we needed help. Otherwise, good luck, and I hope to not see you again.
Hans and I decided that we had about 5 hrs. of daylight left and we should walk up the drainage behind camp. We headed in about an hour and half and we spotted a ewe on the hillside. Shoot, that was encouraging, since prior to this we had not even seen the side of a mountain.

We scrambled up a shale incline, skirted through some bowls along the edge and descended back to the drainage. It was about 8:30 and I urged Hans that we should, "just look around the last bend" to see what the last bit of the valley looked like. As we closed in on the end of the valley, I was not paying attention for sheep, but was marveling at the tremendous waterfall at the head of the valley (stupid, stupid, stupid), when I saw something jump!
200-250 yards in front of me was a ram! By the time I cleared my rifle to see if he was legal, he had bounded up a craggy, rotten precipice and cleared my comfort zone for a shot. When he stopped, I realized that I had blown a chance at a trophy ram. His tips were pointing backwards and the mass of his horns was bigger than anything I had ever seen.
I ried to close in on a better angle, but could not get within 700 yards (not that I can shoot that far, it's just the closest I could get). I tried to convince Hans, much to his chagrin, that I could 'make the shot'. Yeah, right. As we watched the toad look down on us from his throne, Hans spotted 5 more rams - one of which was obviously legal. It was now 9:30pm and we were losing daylight. We cam up with a plan for an approach tomorrow, and left the valley without putting any more pressure on the mountain monarchs.

Aug. 12: Hans and I woke up about 4:30 (I started coffee to get him going). I peeked outside to the best sky we had seen in a long time. This was going to be a good day of hunting!

I quickly texted my wife from the inReach and we started up to where we had seen the rams the night before. As we got to the bowl from the night before, we spotted two other hunters coming up the drainage (not Heath and his partner). We were above them, and moving faster, but I was bummed about being in a small area with 4 guys to say the least. What started as a beautiful morning quickly changed int wind and snow buy the time we started to get close to where we saw the rams the night before. By 8:30am, I had spotted 5 good looking rams about 1/2 mile away. I donned my whites, dropped my pack and closed in to set up a spot. Two were not legal, but three of them were obviously full curl rams. Hans was following up my mad- sprint to close in for a shot (also wearing his whites) and we got to within 350 yards. The rams were feeding on the snowy bluff to Hans' right, below the craggy stuff when we saw them.

I got in a decent shooting spot (nothing is good when you're shivering cold and your heart is racing). I decided to take a shot, so I squeezed off a round from my .308. The ram jumped and spun, but did not appear to be hit. I fired 3 more times, and was certain (as was Hans) that I had missed. Dang! While the three legal rams had fled, they had not vacated the bowl... which was a good thing since we were between them and the 'easier' escape route if they started to exit the bowl. We headed back to our packs to grab our gear, have a bite to eat (we had only drank coffee to this point), and set up the long stalk on them. I figured the guys below us had heard me shoot and probably done the prudent thing and sought another area to hunt. Wrong.

The other two hunters apparently heard me shoot and came up into the bowl in pursuit of the rams. Hans and I were not aware that they were in the bowl, and just after I spotted the rams again... the shooting started. Dejected, we sat and listened to 7 rounds, not knowing from where they were being fired. After the 7th round, they stood up and I saw them through my spotter. All the rams had fled, but I could not see if they had hit one or not. Hans and I walked over to them to see if they hit one. To say I was upset about them coming up in the bowl is an understatement, but perhaps I have a different set of ethics than other guys. (Feel free to correct me if I am off about leaving an area if someone is shooting there).

When I asked if they hit, one of the guys replied with, "not enough... just like you". Confused, I asked what he meant and he said when they came up in the valley, they saw one of the rams was laying down, bleeding. Turns out I had hit him, just not in an immediately vital area (more on this later). With their 7 shots, they had sent him up and over the craggiest, snow-covered, shale infested mountain that I would never willingly choose to hunt.

We had a tense conversation about what to do, and they said they had not hit him, and did not want to go after him. I felt that since I had hit him, regardless of terrain, I had to follow him up and finish what I started. I told them about three other rams I has seen across the bowl while we were glassing, and they headed that way. Hans and I followed the blood trail up through some of the scariest climbing I have ever done, or will ever choose to do again.

When we cleared the peak of the mountain, the bowl below us was much less severe, and there - laying in the snow and shale was my ram! It turns out that I had hit him in the horn with the first shot (the reason for his strange behavior), and the second shot had clipped his spine. It was my mistake to underestimate the flat-shooting of the .308. I normally use a 30.06, but my dad had recently given me the .308 as a lighter rifle. It is like-new, since he had given it to my mother as and anniversary gift almost 20 years before - she was not amused at the time. The .308 did not drop like my .06 and I had held my shot too high for that yardage. While the spine shot was eventually fatal, it did not show blood quickly, and neither Hans nor I saw the impact of hair with the snowy backdrop. I was elated to have a ram down, but I sure would have been a lot happier if he had been left to perish in the bowl below rather than being shot at another 7 times by other hunters.

Aug 12 cont.: Once we broke the ram down, we decided to head out the more 'gentle' side of the mountain rather than descend the 'goat playground' we had just come up. That was an error in judgement.
We found that the 'best' routes were all blocked by cliffs, so we had to journey around on gingerly maneuver our way down the footy, slick tundra bumps. By the time we could see the river again (and Heath's hunting partner still in camp) our legs were melting into puddles of butter. We assumed wowed be back at camp by mid afternoon, eating sheep ribs on an open fire. The trip back to the tent was impeded by the most bramble-filled, blueberry-bogged, alder-busting route possible. Now I know why Heath's buddy stayed in camp!
Nonetheless, we got back to 'Hotel Hilleberg' by 5:30pm - absolutely exhausted.

On a side note, Hans has done a 1/2 Ironman, and I have raced Crow Pass with a time of 3:17... both of us agreed that our choice of return route eclipsed either of those efforts... should...have...gone...other...way...

We took off our gear and prepared to get it all dried out while we boned the ram and trimmed the meat. Within one hour... the rain returned - with wind. No fire tonight. I texted my wife and told her to call Jim as we would be ready for an earlier pick-up, but did not know how long it would take us. Remember the south side approach? I crashed in my foul-smelling sleeping bag with a grin on my face and the sweet sounds of Hans' snoring to lull me to sleep.

OP
X

XCRNR

FNG
Aug. 13: We awoke to no more rain, had some coffee and packed our bags. My Kuiu Ultra was deff. at her limit by time I had everything in it. Hans has a Stone Glacier, which holds the weight a lot better. I might be making a switch... I am about 5'6" and weigh in at a whopping 150# on a heavy day, and my pack was easily over 95#. Hans is a bit bigger, thus an excellent choice in a mule on my behalf (see, sheep hunters are smarter than the average bear). We had to walk about 600m to get to Boulder Creek, which took about 30 minutes, and I was now certain that I would not be able to make it out to the Johnson in one day - no way, no how. At the bottom of our clear creek were the two guys who had shot at my ram the day before -soaking wet, no ram, and using the day to recover and dry their gear. Man, I sure am glad I have a Hilleberg and not a GoLite teepee like those guys. I know they are lighter, but when the fit hits the shan, I'll gladly pack the 8lbs. of bomb shelter.

Hans I left them with a 'good luck' and 'happy trails', and headed down to the LZ. We got about an hour from camp and decided to try the north side of the river. We stripped down, crossed the Boulder, re-geared and made a pact to walk for 15 min. and rest for 2. We started on the trail at 7:30am, and by 9:30 (when we had Almond Snickers breakfast) were more than 1/2 way to the LZ. Again... no intel on north side of the creek??!! This walking was easy (minus the chafing and weight of a heavy pack) and were were already talking about the greasy burgers and cold beers in Delta.

By 11:45am we were back on the Johnson. A quick confirmation through the inReach and Jim was on his way. We got picked up at 2pm, flown into Dry Creek, and headed for the most delicious, greasy burger the end of the road can offer!

Along the way, I have come to the conclusion that I will not shoot another ram unless it is of trophy quality (I already have 2 very nice rams). I respect the animal beyond compare, and the work associated with harvesting one does not warrant killing them unless it is something spectacular. I will continue to sheep hunt as I love the challenge and the open mountains - as well as seeing sheep do what they do. In fact, Hans is so smitten on it that we are going out over Labor Day to try our hands at a harvest ticket so he can bag his first ram (Sheep hunters are part crazy too according to my wife).

Thanks for reading and I'll be sure to follow up with a gear performance list and reflection, as I know that I have learned a lot from my hunts and the experiences of others on here as well. Happy Hunting! Season closes on 9/20.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice story. Everything that a hunt filled with memories is made of. I understand in the heat of the moment and the white background that it is easy to say that "I didn't hit that ram", but would have appreciated hearing you say that you went over to where he was to at least check for sign. Glad you were able to get him and everything worked out. What a CF with the other hunters....definitely ruins hunts when others are not respectful. Enjoy getting out on Labor Day.

Bighorse

WKR
Don't knock the GoLite! I was inclined to pick apart your hunt. I won't, because your not to different than myself and I'm sure you've already started formulating a plan to improve and adapt. My respect! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

OP
X

XCRNR

FNG
Very nice story. Everything that a hunt filled with memories is made of. I understand in the heat of the moment and the white background that it is easy to say that "I didn't hit that ram", but would have appreciated hearing you say that you went over to where he was to at least check for sign. Glad you were able to get him and everything worked out. What a CF with the other hunters....definitely ruins hunts when others are not respectful. Enjoy getting out on Labor Day.

Yeah, I know I should have closed in to where he was, but I needed to get back to my gear before the snow covered it. We did return to where they were when we shot (to glass for them) and that's when the other guys started shooting. At that point we had not seen any blood. It's not like I walked away and only came back when I heard more shooting. We were doing what I consider the "long stalk", which means exhausting every avenue before heading back to camp. Thanks though, for the reminder that adrenaline can never get in the way of hunting ethics.

Yukon

FNG
Great write up. That would be a tough one to feel all the pressure from other hunters in the area.Nice ram. Way to follow up with it and congratulations of a successful hunt.

mwhamm

FNG
If I was the other hunters I'd be moving in for the shot like they did. I disagree. They are free to hunt that area as well as you. They also ponied up a couple grand to fly out there, so I'm sure they were motivated to get a ram as well, even if they are a few paces behind you.

In the 8 sheep kills I've been a part of, we've always killed the animals we shot at within the first few shots...period. So if I see legal Rams running away, I'm inclined to think the other hunters already got their sheep down and I'm getting mine too with those that are left.

Congrats on the sheep. Every animal is a trophy.

Awesome write up and congrats on the ram! Nothing like an old-fashioned beard growing contest to pass the time while tent-locked!

Also, since you said you won't shoot another ram unless it is of trophy quality, I assume you're implying this ram did not make that cut; by how much did the ram you got fall short of that threshold? Just curious.

Last edited:

DonW28

FNG
Great story and hunt. Thank you for taking the time to post the write-up and pictures. I really enjoyed it.

Don

OP
X

XCRNR

FNG
Awesome write up and congrats on the ram! Nothing like an old-fashioned beard growing contest to pass the time while tent-locked!

Also, since you said you won't shoot another ram unless it is of trophy quality, I assume you're implying this ram did not make that cut; by how much did the ram you got fall short of that threshold? Just curious.
This ram measured 34 7/8 on the long side. He has decent mass at 13 1/8, but unless it's over 40... I'm done shooting. The best way to ruin a good hunt is to shoot a dink - haha.