2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 FYI

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
mine shifts like crap also
like the guy said above me. I also had my transmission harness replaced
But I here a lot about this torque converter being bad
i also feel it doesn’t have the pep it once had being brand new. I have the 6.2 liter
any idea how much it would cost to have gm repair

It’s cheaper to replace the torque converter than having to replace the both after the torque converter destroys the transmission with metal shavings.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I've heard $4500 - $5500. I replaced myself and spent around $800 on torque converter, oil, filter and a couple other items. I also bought another 1/2" extension for the top bell housing bolts.

I inspected for damage in the pump and gears. Thankfully no damage.
Definitely recommend replacing if you're having issues before it turns into a yuge problem.

I think the transmission shop I went to said they were doing torque converters for $1800, the entire transmission job I've heard that 4500-6500 range, the guys I know that have had theirs go was around 120k, most of the motors in those trucks I've seen go have been under 80k. I've only known one guy that caught the lifter quick enough that they were just able to replace it and the cam shaft wasn't damaged. I think it was about $3k for one lifter at the dealership. The GM motors seem to be a 8-9500 job at the dealer, One guy got lucky and they split it with him because he had done everything they ever told him to do to it.
We've had a 2014 at work down for over a year because you couldn't get a reman 5.3 for awhile.

dtrkyman

WKR
My friend just had this issue, took it in and mechanic said it was fine, took a road trip and didn't make it 200 miles, grenaded the trans to the tune of 6k!

He is the biggest Chevy fan boy to ever walk the earth!

Good mechanics are hard to come by!