2017 or 2018 Wyo Elk Question

gknutson

FNG
I will have 7 points going into next year's draw and would like to spend them next year or the year after. I'm a NR so wilderness will be off limits. Trailhead camping and backpack hunting is a option (not sure about backpacking with grizzlies)

I'd love to get a Crack at a 6x6 in the 300" range anything bigger is a bonus. Archery would be preferred since the rut is where it's at.

I've looked at unit 45 special type 1 and unit 54 type 9. So here's my questions. I've been through these area but never spent extensive time.

Will the unit 45 type 1 archery hunt be super crowded? Should the Bulls be very vocal from say Sept 10th to 20th ?

Same questions for 54. Also how thick are the Grizzlies?

Any other advise on units or insight on the above units or general advise would be great! Thanks.

DEHusker

WKR
Look at goHunt and Eastman's MRS section. They break it down very nicely for your level of points, draw %age, trophy potential, etc. Should be a big help. I think goHunt is the best website for Western hunters that has ever been created...

Look at goHunt and Eastman's MRS section. They break it down very nicely for your level of points, draw %age, trophy potential, etc. Should be a big help. I think goHunt is the best website for Western hunters that has ever been created...

I agree, go hunt is the best for draw odds and so forth...granted there unit write ups are bland..

OP
G

gknutson

FNG
Thanks for the reply guys. I am a Gohunt member and I've been spending a good bit of time looking over options. Wyoming is always interesting with the regular vs special tags and Type 1 vs Type 9. Planning is always one of my favorite parts.

LostArra

WKR
Is there a consensus on the Special draws? I like to hunt elk every year even with cow tags while I wait on a bull tag but I don't want to spend Special $ for a cow tag as a second choice. Most of the time the reduced price tags are available though.

I have found that hunting with a cow tag every year gives me some good experience in finding the elk in my area and it also produces terrific bull encounters!

Just returned from 45 with a buddy that had the tag. Hunted from the 21st to the 27th and unfortunately only had one morning when we had some bugling. Unfortunately we got hit with about 15-18 inches of snow and some really hard and long rain. Heard the moisture they got was almost as much as they'd had since the first of the year so it was an extremely dry year. This is my 2nd year there and I was extremely disappointed in the lack of bugling. We hit several areas and hunted really hard, even in the all day snowstorm! They do get some big bulls out of the unit but without bugling, it makes for a tough archery hunt. Maybe the last 2 Septembers were an exception to the norm but overall it's hard to wait 8 or 9 years and be very enthusiastic to have a hunt like the last 2 that I've experienced.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
That's the gamble with WY and more northern areas. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago in the Bighorns, they got 10" of snow the day before I arrived (9/13?). Even though I hunted with my buddy (resident guide) all the elk migrated to lower elevations, we could see long lines of tracks all heading downhill. Once it melted they all went back up. I put on lots of miles that year. Sucks waiting all those years for a tag then mother nature screws it up.

DEHusker

WKR
They are a bit generic, but to get really in-depth info on each unit would take an extra-ordinary amount of time and research. Plus, with the thousands of people who use GoHunt, I don't really want in-depth info on each unit because then everyone who reads GoHunt would be at the "recommended spots."

I agree, go hunt is the best for draw odds and so forth...granted there unit write ups are bland..

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
You may look into area 19 type 2 license then get the archery endorsement. Had enough points there for the tag two years ago and was on 300"+ elk every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk