2019 trip with Kodiak Combos

Other than the technical clothes I was wearing and the fancy gear I had in my pack, you would never know what year it is stepping onto the beach on Kodiak Island. That’s what I really love about hunting new and remote places. Standing there and looking up at the towering mountains, it could just as easily be 1819 as it is 2019.

It’s talked about all the time, but heading to Alaska, and especially Kodiak Island, is on a lot of hunters dream hunt lists. My 3 buddies and I had been talking about doing something new and exciting and once we did a little research into a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak Island, we knew that would be just the thing to cut our teeth on an Alaska adventure.

I did some research on line and then hit the forums. I asked around and it seemed as though Mr Jeff Peterson of Kodiak Combos Adventures would be our outfitter of choice (Thanks TX crew). He offered a great combo “cast and blast”, if you will, of deer hunting, fishing and sea duck hunting. Coming from the Midwest (Nebraska and Iowa) it seemed like a great way for 4 flatlanders to experience a little bit of what Kodiak Island has to offer. We put the deposits down with Kodiak Combos and it was done...we were going to Kodiak Island!!

Now, all if you know how the next 8-10 months goes. Emails, texts, calls, gear buying and upgrading, getting in shape, teasing each other about getting in shape, etc, etc. The excitement builds with every months passing. Before you know it, you are driving to the airport wondering if you brought enough gear. More than likely, you brought WAY too much as we did (more on that later).

Anyone that has done a trip to Kodiak knows to hope for the best but expect the worst. The planes get progressively smaller the closer you get to Kodiak. Because of that, your hunt is not determined by the calendar, but by the weather. We fell victim to the dreaded “wasted day sickness” and had to spend the night on some lovely benches in the Anchorage airport as they could not get into Kodiak City.

Once we did fly out, with the weather cooperating, getting into Kodiak City was fairly easy. Kodiak airport is small, but we expected that. When you get inside to get your bags, there are gun cases, waterproof duffels and meat boxes built up like muskrat huts in a sea of Kuiu, Firstlite, Sitka and Kifaru. Hunters are lined up to get home....usually reluctantly.

Get your gear and shuffle it across the parking lot to Island Air. I HIGHLY recommend them. The friendliest and most helpful people in the airline industry I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. If you ever get there, and she is still working there, ask for Krizel. Tease her a bit to get her smiling. She will help you with all your needs and get you where you need to go to the best of her ability.

Did I mention the planes get smaller as you get closer to Kodiak? This was an experience for me. I wasn't scared, far from it, but rather VERY excited to finally experience what I had seen on so many hunting shows and videos, the bush plane experience. The views and perspective you get from a small plane are breathtaking.

Our pilot ,Steve, took us on a fantastic ride. Since we were in a charter, and because of a little weather, we took the long way from Kodiak City to Old Harbor and to say I was a “window licker” for the entire flight was an understatement. The views and sites from the plane are something I will never forget.

We were met at the Old Harbor airstrip by Mr Jeff. To say he is a character is a gross understatement. We figured out pretty quick that the first thing to come out of Jeff’s mouth is sarcasm, the second is usually a smart ass remark, and the third is usually instruction or an order. He made the week in Old Harbor entertaining. We laughed more on this hunting trip than I think any of us ever had before.

His wife Lianna is the true boss though. She takes care of the paperwork, lodge, food....basically all of the amenities. If Jeff started getting too smart with us, we would just say we would talk to the “boss” about it later and that would usually calm his sarcasm a bit...never entirely though.

Lianna made sure we never went hungry. With the meals she was feeding us, I am pretty sure we may have gained weight.

We would definitely do a few things different next time, but all in all, it was a FANTASTIC adventure.

Below are a few images to entertain your ocular cavities. We got the normal “grip and grin” photos, but you could take a million photos and still not capture all the beautiful sites of Kodiak. We all had a blast. I will touch on some of the hunting and gear next in this post.
Kodiak 1.jpgKodiak 2.jpgKodiak 3.jpgKodiak 4.jpgKodiak 6.jpgKodiak 7.jpgKodiak 8.jpgKodiak 9.jpgKodiak 10.jpgKodiak 11.jpg

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats on an awesome sounding trip! Great write up, pics and buck!! Definitely on my bucket list, but your write up just moved it a little closer to the top of the list! Thanks for the info and insight!

OP
Ironmerganser
Below are a few things we would do differently and a few more images.

1. We would definitely make it an 8-10 day hunt instead of a 5 day. 5 days is just not enough time. Especially if you run into weather delays.

2. Although the fishing and duck hunting were fun, the deer hunting was stellar. The views, glassing, hiking, watching deer...that is what was the best part of the trip. We each only got one deer tag and immediately regretted not getting at least 2. We wanted to get back into the mountains just to glass for deer. If we do it again, we will get at least 2 tags each and make the deer hunting the priority.

3. We all said we would pack smarter and take a few less clothes. We each brought more than we needed. With Kodiak Combos having a washer and dryer at the lodge, less is more for traveling and keeping weight down.

4. And speaking of traveling, we all should have used our packs as a carry on for the flight. One of my friends did it and it saved him weight in his duffel and was just easier on his back when walking around in the airports.

Kodiak 12.jpgKodiak 13.jpgKodiak 14.jpgKodiak 15.jpgKodiak 16.jpgKodiak 17.jpgKodiak 18.jpgKodiak 19.jpgKodiak 20.jpgKodiak 21.jpg

That buck in your last post looks great, he should have died!

Anyone going to Kodiak for a deer hunt, please, for the love of god, get at least 2 tags! It's too much fun and with one tag you are literally done hunting after one day :)

OP
Ironmerganser
That picture of the live buck was 3 sec after my buddy pulled the trigger on his. I have a video I will post but that buck walked to within 15 ft of us and just stood there.

And Nick Muche is VERY accurate.....get AT LEAST 2 tags.

Below is a list of gear I took and some comments.

Boots - Crispi Wild Rock GTX Insulated boot
By far the best boot I have ever owned. Great Support, comfortable all day and my feet stayed totally dry.

Socks - Darn Tough cushion boot socks
I wont own any other hunting socks.....if that tells you anything.

Base layers – ¼ zip Dri-release Merino Blend upper and Kuiu Peloton 97 fleece zip off bottoms
The upper is a cheap shirt I got at Costco, but it is awesome. It is a 84% polyester, 11% merino and 5% spandex blend that wicks moister fantasticly and does not get stinky.
The bottoms were on their first trip and I am glad I had them. They were so comfy I forgot I had them on. And all bottom base layers should have full zip sides. So convenient to get on and off without taking your boots and pants off.

Undies - ExOfficio give-n-go boxer brief
Only undies I wear....hunting and daily

Sitka timberline pants - love these pants for every hunt. The knee pads are perfect for those final yards of crawling on a stalk or to drop down for a quick glassing session. Also save my knees while cleaning game.

First Lite Klamath hoodie
I have two of these. Best second layer I have ever had. I basically lived in these the whole week.

Rain gear - First lite Seak Jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants
Top of the line for both manufacturers. We encountered rain every day and I never got wet. Both pieces are very tough.

Puffy - Kifaru Lost Park Parka
Warmest jacket I own. Great for cold, windy glassing sessions and for on the boat while fishing.
I also brought the First Lite puffy pants but never needed them as we had temps in the mid 40's to low 50's all week.

Pack - Kifaru Duplex frame with 44 mag bag
Fits me perfect. Love the layout of the 44 mag bag and how easy it is to access what I have inside. I just wish it was waterproof.

Duffel - Cabelas medium boundary waters waterproof duffel
Fit all my gear for a week in this bag and it stayed secure and dry. They are a little heavy, but worth the weight for the protection you get. Friend of mine had a Kuiu Taku bag for his gear and it did not hold up as well to the punishments of the airline baggage handlers.

Gun/scope – Christiansen Arms Ridgeline 6.5 creedmoor with Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 scope.
I am not well versed in rifles or scopes. All I know is that this is the best set up I have ever had and has enabled me to be confident out to 400 yards. I know this rifle is capable of a lot more, but it suits me just fine at the moment. Flat shooting and super accurate. I have not missed an animal yet that I have had in the scope.

Optics – Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binos and Vortex Razor 20-60x80 spotting scope
The Diamondbacks are in my chest rig at all times. I brought the spotting scope the first day and decided it was just too big to haul around. I plan to get a smaller spotting scope for the pack for future hunts.

Tripod / head - Slik CF-635 Tripod and Outdoorsmans pan head
Great, semi light weight combo. Rock solid and super smooth while glassing.

Micro spikes - OuterStar Traction Cleats
Cheap pair from Amazon. But they are great for that slick grass after it has been raining for days in Kodiak

Gaiters – Outdoor Research crocodile gaiters
Have had them for over 5 years now. Don’t know about any others, but these work great.

Gloves - Mechanics gloves from Menards, Bob Allen insulated shooting gloves and Sitka Cold Front Gloves
I used the Mechanics gloves for hiking, the Bob Allen gloves for glassing when it wasn’t raining and the Sitka Cold Front gloves for when it was raining for glassing and for just keeping my hands warm.
I kept the Bob Allen gloves dry at all times so I always had a pair of dry gloves.

Knife – Havalon Baracuta
I like the full size knife when cleaning deer.

Game bags – Caribou Gear Carnivore II game bags.
I like these bags for quarters but hate them for boned out meat. They are just hard to hold a "form" for the pack out. My buddy brought the Kuiu boned out meat game bags and I will have those for the next hunt.

Trekking poles - PaceMaker Stix Aerostride
Cheap poles from Amazon, but I have had them for 5 years and they haven’t let me down yet.

daddie63

WKR
Congrats on a great adventure. Reading these stories definitely make me want to do this hunt sooner then later but I need better hunting partners who will pony up the cash to go.:)

Awesome, thanks for sharing and congrats on making the jump and doing the trip! Kodiak is one my favorite places is AK. Been there 12 times in 5 years and it never gets old!

By the way, there were no deer on Kodiak on 1819 😉

TravKatQ

WKR
Looks like an awesome hunt and some great pictures! My dad and I leave in a couple weeks for Kodiak so this post is getting me even more excited! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like the group before you from this forum standup guys who know what they are getting into! The guy who showed up for a billy goat(ak resident) got his billy and named you flatlanders! Great write up thanks guys it is always a pleasure to serve people like you. This week another rockslide member wanted to (tag out) on his first day to catch king salmon. He did and today he limited on king salmon!
9a1c8c8a2982211473df8a6733a44db2.jpg
6c91c3e99bb144c6bfbfe76ed15d713f.jpg

Keep your head on a swivel!

OP
Ironmerganser
Where were those kings last week Jeff??????? :)

Glad he got his Goat! That was one hell of a mountain to try and get them.

Anyone looking for a great time in Kodiak, look up Mr Jeff Peterson. Buy two deer tags and take 8-10 days to enjoy yourself!!!

Oh that mountain ain't too bad :)

Hey Jeff, how's the weather been? Looking at the weather cam in Old Harbor every day, doesn't look terrible but Kodiak proper looks bad. Hoping we have decent weather this coming weekend when we head down.

Congrats on a great adventure. Reading these stories definitely make me want to do this hunt sooner then later but I need better hunting partners who will pony up the cash to go.:)

This is my problem. I have no friends that I could count on for these kind of trips.

Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing.

So glad ya'll had a great trip. I only wish I could have tagged along... Congratulations on a great experience....

(one of the TX Crew)