2021 Missouri Non-Typical on Public Land

I definitely have been grinding this out since July... I bet I've had more hours this year scouting before season than I have ever before. Night after night patterning what fields, areas, and times of day they were out. Then I patterned the movement based off wind direction, temp, moon work, etc....

All so I could leave for a Nebraska Mule deer hunt the 1st of September. I came back to Missouri 6 days later feeling lost and I couldn't find any deer that were in the spots before I left. I knew that early September time period is slow because everything changes, bucks lose velvet and lay low, testosterones flowing more so the bachelors start to split up...

Now 4 weeks into the season, I've only hunted for myself 4 times... I spend my time filming my friends and girlfriend, hoping to capture their hunts on a cool video.... With seeing a really nice buck the night before on October 15th (140's class Mark Twain National Forest Buck), I got excited to finally wake up early and go sit. So Saturday the 16th, I climbed up in a tree on some public really early... Got set at 6:20am which is about 30+ minutes before day light...

Daylight hit and all I saw was a damn coyote chasing deer by me at 8:30am.... I sat until 9:35 and decided I was a little chilled and was going to get down to go back home. I lowered my bow down, took down my bow hangers, safety harness, video camera, and set my backpack on top of my lone wolf climber seat...

Within seconds of me doing this, I hear a stick break. 60 yards away I see a rack moving above the brush and headed my way. I somehow managed to get my bow pulled back up the tree, an arrow knocked, my release on, attach the camera arm to the tree and then place the video camera on the arm... Just to turn it on and capture just about everything I could.

I also even whiffed on the first shot at like 15 yards, which is beyond me other than I rushed the shot, aimed higher than I should have, and shot with a 30 yard pin that should've been adjusted back down to 20...

That deer ran off to about 25-30 yards, stopped and faced away from me. It then looked back and provided me with a second arrow launch that dumped him in his tracks, arrow entering below the spine on the left back hind quarter, hitting the Femoral Artery, and poking through the lung on the right side of the deer behind the shoulder. Executed perfectly with extreme prejudice...

I couldn't ask for a more unique story to my 2021 bow hunt than this, and the deer is so Unique:

Attachments

• Gabe Buck 2021.JPG
    Gabe Buck 2021.JPG
    700.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Gabe Buck 2021_1.JPG
    Gabe Buck 2021_1.JPG
    581.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Gabe Buck 2021_2.JPG
    Gabe Buck 2021_2.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 128
Nice video, and thanks for sharing the story! Especially appreciate you including info about the first shot - could absolutely happen to any of us. Makes me think I need to practice a mental pre-shot checklist over and over again, so when crazy situations come up I can still be ready. Good stuff man.

OP
gabedenzine
Nice video, and thanks for sharing the story! Especially appreciate you including info about the first shot - could absolutely happen to any of us. Makes me think I need to practice a mental pre-shot checklist over and over again, so when crazy situations come up I can still be ready. Good stuff man.
I'm a big preacher on situational practice at the range, because shooting a still target at a fixed distance is so different from archery hunting a live animal... I appreciate you checking it out Mike!

Last edited: