2022 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in again , sticking with the same setup , staying at 55 MER , I went 3 for 5 2 Years in a row , when I beat that I’ll step it back. Any one else feeling Froggy enough to step er back ?

Raygun15E

FNG
I better get back out there shooting my bow! The kids and the rest of life have been keeping me away from the bow. No changes this year yet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Will there be an option to enter with a compound and recurve? Or just 1?

Edit- saw the rules were on the other thread. Thanks!

Glad it doesn’t overlap with my turkey season this year! Looking forward to it.

Went from an HHA 5510 single pin to a Fast Eddie XL .010 two pin and will be shooting IW S100 for the challenge. Hoping to bump my MER from 60 to 70 getting ready for this September. I shot really well in the challenge last year with an NAP Hellrazor knockoff that I had planned on using for this elk season however terminal performance on a whitetail doe last fall was not optimal. Great shot placement but the blood trail and the amount of time for the hit to be fatal was not ideal.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just replaced the strings on my Prime Black 5 with a set of 60x. Also switching arrows to some Nexxus 300's with titanium outsert. Guess its time to get it tuned up. I think you'll enjoy a back bar. I use one as well. Did you balance your bow in a balancer with it?
I went to 300 spines last year and I do like the extra weight but I can’t say they’re any more accurate than my 340s.

On your question about the back bar, yes I took it to a pro shop and had them set it up for me. Cost me 20 bucks (and included some shooting coaching) but now I know it’s perfectly balanced.
66 sec video from the thread here if anyone wondering how they balance

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Let the games begin! Was just working on my bow the other day and thinking it was nearing cold bow challenge season… sure enough here it is!

One of my favorite things every spring, thanks as always [mention]robby denning [/mention] and Rokslide sponsors for putting this on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinmi

WKR
I hope my new Uukhas show up before this starts. I dislocated my shoulder last fall and it still growls at me when I shoot my heavier longbow limbs. I'm gonna share this to the traditional forum.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been posting on another thread about the back bars that @Billy Goat lent me. I did a CBC last week to test myself at 60 yds (5 yards farther than 2021 CBC)

Pulling it over here to give new people a feel for the real CBC.

AD772051-62CA-489D-B2E4-FF5DD51495AA.jpeg

FFE17F83-7CBF-465B-8D8A-E923C43FA076.jpeg

Per the pics above, I shot one arrow a day with no warmup, or practice between days. I didn’t pull my arrows and I only have 3 practice arrows right now, hence two pics. I passed with field points (Vital is the big circle, about 9”)

I wish I would’ve just shot my broadheads but hadn’t since last fall. After that CBC, I tested my broadheads and of course, still hitting with FPs, although about the equivalent of a yard lower beyond about 55 yards (meaning if I dial a yard, they hit the same POI). This is normal and I’ve always attributed it to drag (I know some won’t agree).

anyway, restarted a CBC this morning with my Irowills 100s vented.

1st arrow is good!
84A71883-B8C4-42E0-8D4B-667AF21F2BCF.jpeg

Day 2/arrow 2 is in!
3ff9dad759e93049af97b1b7a53ac9e4.jpg

Dropped Day 3
42dd80f298da14fa67bc18d5bcc7aaf2.jpg

So close
d9749959305ac9782725a102d642d633.jpg

Actually touched the tape but it didn’t cut it

Day 4/arrow 4 is in!

3787e5179987209ab7f84b6a179e8f0b.jpg

16 mile an hour wind, straight at my back. Didn’t have to hold for it but this is where I’m sure the extra weight of the back bar is helping me. It’s hard to be steady in the wind and is what cost me an arrow in the 2020 challenge

Last arrow for this pre-challenge.
936c0e9104ee1477cceb06ddb7b97f82.jpg

We had so much wind Saturday and Sunday that I could not find a window to shoot under 20 mile an hour. So I waited until this morning. And I could tell I had not shot for two days. I tried a practice draw and I felt pretty good so I let up waited a minute or two and then shot this arrow. I was just settling the pin when it went off, too soon! Sucks to miss but this is why I believe in this challenge, because when you’re cold, like you often are on a hunt, (and I don’t mean body temperature,) your MER shrinks.

So I dropped two arrows out of the five. That’s very comparable to what I was doing at 55 yards in previous years so the back bar might be helping a little, but my MER with broadheads is still not 60 yards. Notice the 60 yard pass with FPs at top of post. That’s why we give extra points for broadheads.

The Sevrs arrived, so if I can get a window without high wind I’m going to check them and then restart the challenge. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Pressure’s on!

To note: I did 70 the first year of CBC and passed, but that was with FPs. Once we came up with the broadhead rules, I lost 15 yards! I really wanna get to 60 yards MER for 2022 CBC. That’s why I added these backbars. We’ll see.

Last edited:
@robby denning you need to build the pressure a little. Put some rocks under that matrix, or prop it up on some cinder blocks.

Just something to break that concentration on the middle you know? Sending that $60 down range with a little distraction.

That's real world practice. 🤣🤣🤣

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning you need to build the pressure a little. Put some rocks under that matrix, or prop it up on some cinder blocks.

Just something to break that concentration on the middle you know? Sending that $60 down range with a little distraction.

That's real world practice. 🤣🤣🤣
Bwhahaha, that would do it! Such a sick feeling when you send 60 bucks into the trash. Too many times!

There’s a new arrow with a new iron will (less than 10 shots on it) out there some where from last year. I’ve had dreams about it lying out there, getting stepped on by a horse.

Bwhahaha, that would do it! Such a sick feeling when you send 60 bucks into the trash. Too many times!

There’s a new arrow with a new iron will (less than 10 shots on it) out there some where from last year. I’ve had dreams about it lying out there, getting stepped on by a horse.

I sent one into oblivion last year during the challenge. That head had like 5 kills, and had already been lost 3-4 months once.

It hasn't found its way home yet, them glow in the dark vanes didn't pay off.

The horse field was a little out of range, I think.

280Ackley

WKR
Anyone tweaking anything for this year's challenge?

I'm shooting a back bar courtesy of @Billy Goat

and Idaho just legalized mechanicals so I just ordered the Sever 1.5 Titanium 100s.
I got a new Elite Enkore. Switched up my sight, rest and arrows. I was going to switch to mechanicals but I plan on bear hunting with my bow this spring and the change doesn’t take effect until July 1st.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning , Why the change to the Sevr's from the fixed head? Just for testing or planning to hunt with them?
Idaho approved Mechanicals this year so I want to test these and probably hunt with them.

Back when I hunted Wy. a lot, I used mechanicals and really liked them. I was running a Rocket mechanical and killed a buck with it. I think it was a 1.75 or maybe 2, flew like FP and punched a big big hole. I got two holes but can’t remember if it was a complete passthrough or just hung up and stayed with the buck.

That was the only deer I’ve killed with a mechanical so can’t emphatically say they’re awesome but if a good number of elk hunters are happy with the Sevrs, I’m confident to try them on deer.

and Idaho just legalized mechanicals so I just ordered the Sever 1.5 Titanium 100s.
Glad they did! I shot my buck last year with the 1.5 and was happy with the performance. Was hoping to not retune everything this year for a fixed blade should I draw the Idaho tag im hoping for.

BigWoods

WKR

I put a 15" bar (AAE Mountain Series) on the front of my Traverse, and moved the 8" bar the back. Unfortunately I've not been shooting tons the past couple month so my rust is offsetting better stabilization.

Looking forward to my 4th go at it!