2023 AK Caribou Hunt prep, lessons learned, and gear

brolo

FNG
Plan: Three buddies and I planned a week-long mountain caribou hunt in Alaska. We were in it for the meat and experience. Everybody agreed we'd share the work and split the meat, regardless of who pulled the trigger. Stay in a main camp, combo of day-hunting and spike camp, kill a many as we could carry.

Prep: continuing exercise program focusing on functional fitness to be mountain ready. 3-5 days a week of weights, cardio, etc. Summer spent hiking with kiddo on my back, the two months before the hunt included 2-3 nights a week of 3 mile timed walk through the neighborhood with 60 lb pack after the kids were asleep. I felt good, but just wished I could do more hiking on broken terrain. Shooting practice was a number of range sessions shooting prone, sitting with trekking poles, and standing freehand. I was 95% hits inside 8 inch circle at 300 yd sitting with sticks, 90% rate in same circle at 100 yd standing. Prone was fine as well. All of this was calm wind on a range. I wanted to shoot much more, especially in timed drills with an elevated heart rate...this will become a factor during the hunt.

Day 1: Fly in. We brought a mix of waxed boxes with liner and tupperwares. The totes are easier to pack, good for meat, and actually cheaper than boxes. Gun cases were easy to check at the airport, one set of keys on a lanyard around my neck, the spare set in my carry on. First loss of the trip: carry-on bag of groceries got flagged at security, peanut butter and Nutella counts as a liquid/gel...bummer. Get to destination, get camp settled, check zero, do a few hours scouting before dark.

Day 2: Out the door and walking before dawn. Winds 20-50 mph, cloudy, rain/sleet/snow/ice periodically, 30-35 deg. Synthetic base layers key since they dry 2-3 times faster than merino, light fleece mid layer top and bottoms, sitka 3 layer goretex jacket and pants were great. They kept me mostly dry, vented really well, dried fast, good hood and pockets; headlamp and inreach lived in the coat, buff and chapstick in hip pockets, couple small snacks in cargo pocket to keep warmish...not too bulky and easy to reach. REI merino/synthetic blend beanie light, warm enough, dried quickly, and didn't stink. Seal Skin gloves were light enough, worked with the phone, kept hands dry, grippy, and I could shoot with them. Leukotape is a superstar; I put it on my feet on a couple known problem areas day 1 and didn't take it off til our last day. I wore a synthetic liner sock under darn tough light cushion socks; dried nicely, no stink. My boots are crispy briksdal goretex with 200g insulation matched with outdoor research verglas gaiters. This worked really well; the insides stayed dry enough through multiple water crossings, rain, snow, mud, and miles. My feet mostly stayed warm, they were only cold one morning getting going in camp and another day during a long glassing sit. I have a basic bino bro binocular harness. I really liked it's light weight, quiet use, and how it kept moisture and crud off the glass, but I wish it had a stiffer opening for one-handed use. I kept high contrast ski goggles on my head the whole day...life saver. I used a mystery ranch metcalf without the lid for day hunting. I packed it with a bladder, since I drink more than with bottles. Range-finder stayed on the hip belt, trauma kit in a bottle pouch, z seat in the other bottle pouch made for easy access for a glassing sit pad. I used a sea to summit pack cover. Inside the pack, I had a puffy jacket and pants in a dry sack. I used a Montbell Alpine parka. Outside of semi-custom options, I cannot find a better fitting, lightweight puffy with 7+ oz of down. It fits under my rain shell and worked really well. My pants were montbell synthetic full-zips that fit over my rain shell. They do pretty well, but down would be better. Inside the pack was a seek outside DST, kill kit, first-aid kit, and the rest of my day food. We hiked 7-8 miles up and down hills and mountains, stopped for a few decent glassing spots. Very little, and old caribou sign. No caribou sightings. Practiced gunnery on birds on the way back to camp, rifle challenging if you want salvageable meat. Shotgun was the most successful.

OP
B

brolo

FNG
Day 3: Goal was to hike out to different area and setup spike camp to access other areas over three days. About 4 hours transit, clear skies, same temps, less wind. We needed to get up a pass, then run along it's ridge to a higher alpine area. At the pass, we stopped to sit to glass and snack for a bit. Right away picked out a young bull, cow, and calf at 550 yards the other side of the saddle in wide open terrain. We had made a point to approach the saddle carefully, using rocky outcrops to break up our movement and profiles, but the cow saw us before we saw them and alerted. Staring, ears up, not moving. The calf looked at us too, the bull could've cared less. We tried slow lateral movement to get behind some cover, but they all ran pretty quick...bummer for the blown opportunity, but happy to see animals. I've heard stories of curious caribou that walk towards hunters, but that has not been my experience in this and another area. These caribou walk fast, we try to hike a route to get another angle, but they open 1-2 miles on us in no time. We go over what happened and how to improve, then press. We get to a good are up high to glass a 360 deg bowl with historical animal movements from a variety of passes. The glassing perch is good, sheltered from wind, good approach to avoid profiling and minimize motion. Snow covers the upper half of the bowl. We sit for an hour and split it into sections to divide and conquer. No caribou sighted. We move back from the perch to a small ravine/valley, and spot tracks. It looked like a few caribou walked about 50 yards behind us while we were glassing. They must have figured out we were there because their tracks abruptly turned around and walked back the way they came. It didn't look like they ran, as there wasn't any dirt kicked up from under the snow, and the prints were pretty clean. Now I feel like the animals are toying with us. We find a great camp spot with decent wind break, flat, close to water, out of sight from the open terrain. Two guys setup the tent, two others shed some weight and follow the tracks til dark, but no success. Freeze dried food for dinner, we have a jetboil and soto winemaster, but mostly just use the jetboil. It works fine in freezing temps shielded from the wind. We pack 4 guys into a 4-person 4-season mountaineering tent. I had my day-hunting gear, plus sleeping gear, plus food in individual gallon ziplocks for each day. I swapped out the bladder for an old-school nalgene and a hydrapak flexi bottle with integrated filter. The hydrapak setup is awesome, just fill and squeeze out to get fresh water. It's fast, light, easy, and durable in freezing temps. I can't imagine another setup beats this for quick and light function. Nalgene works better than bladder in cold temps, better with electrolyte powder, and can fill with hot water for sleeping bag warming. Speaking of which, I used a feathered friends lark yf, nemo tensor, and sea to summit inflatable pillow all stuffed in an osprey 20L dry bag with my only spare safety clothes: heavy wool socks and mid weight base layer. The sleeping bag and pad was plenty warm, and I could dry damp clothing with me at night. The inside of the bag was bone dry every morning and smelled like mountain house farts. The outside consistently had condensation, but full loft. 4 dudes mouth breathing all night means lots of condensation, even in a solid tent, but everybody and all gear still functional.

OP
B

brolo

FNG
Day 4: Wakeup, eat cold granola with powdered milk and freeze dried fruit, water, and bacon. Some others have freeze dried hot food. We secure camp, gear up, and head out for the day. Hiking along a side of the bowl, we see some fresh tracks since the snowfall the previous night. Winds are calm, forecast is good, sun's out. Sunglasses, rifles, camo combo makes some guys look like they're fighting insurgents in Tora Bora. We make a slow cruising route across an edge of the bowl in the morning, stopping at a variety of glassing spots. We continue further to a broken pass. Seeing some sign, we slow way down and carefully pick our way through a saddle marred with mini rocky mesa things a few acres each which you have to pick around. We see some old sign. Finally making it to high ground with a view down the watershed on the other side of the saddle, we stop for an extended glassing session. There is no recent sign or movement as far as we can see, and we don't see much in the way of game trails or food source, so we make a plan to move. We go back to the saddle to find a route even further around the original bowl and get a vantage over another pass to a long wide valley even further from camp. We pick our way a little bit down into the valley, stopping and glassing new terrain as it becomes visible. We immediately begin to notice food sources, tracks, and sign. We find a good place, split the predominant valley into sections for our search, throw on our puffy gear, start snacking and looking. Within 5 minutes one guy spots a caribou. We know immediately it's a shooter, because it has backstraps. The terrain is really broken, the animal is 600-900 yards away feeding between rocky protuberances and occasionally disappearing. We make a plan; I'm the only one with a range finder, so I'm going with the guy on a roundabout looping stalk to minimize our profile, motion, and get crosswind of our quarry. Of the two other guys, one had earlier gone back to camp for a good reason. The other agreed he should stay in the glassing spot to make sure the team did not lose the animal if it changes direction or disappears from our approach. I have literally stared straight at caribou in this same area with partial snow cover from 100-200 yards and not been able to see them because they blend so well with the snowy, rocky, brownish terrain.

Us two make our way quickly around over 20ish minutes to close the range and angle. We're able to regain sight of the animal over a hill, but want a better position. We again close to another rocky hill. We're confident this hill is a sufficient shooting position. Approaching the top, we drop our packs to minimize profile as we belly crawl the rest. NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR PACK OUT OF ARM'S REACH. There are a million reasons why. In this can we did it to minimize profile, but we could've dragged the packs and been fine. I stay right behind my buddy, while he creeps up. He gets a look and lets me know there are 5 animals 250 yards away feeding on a hill across a draw. We're both going to shoot then see if we can get the third guy a shot at one. Buddy gets set and calls ready, I quickly dial for range and tell him I'm ready, and I'm definitely not ready. I'm in a poor prone position with my rifle wonky set high so I don't smoke a rock in front of me. He DRTs one with his first shot, bang flop with a 300WM at 16x. The animals don't really move, and I shoot a couple seconds later. I shouldn't have shot. I could have kept my pack with me for an easy rest, just like I'd practiced. I could have adjusted left or right a couple yards to a better unsupported prone position without a rock in front of me and held the rifle like I practiced. The animals didn't seem to alert, know what was happening, or know where we were. I prioritized speed over a practiced comfortable position. The former wasn't necessary, and the latter was required. I thought I could make it happen, and I missed, horribly, embarrassingly. My wobble zone was so big I fortunately missed the entire beast. So I shot again, without actually fixing anything, and I totally missed again. I had two options, I first thought about throwing the rifle at the animals as it seemed that gave me about as good of a chance at killing as what I was doing. Instead, I took the 3 seconds and a breath to fix my position, ran through my hold/breath/sight/press routine and shot the critter. The shot actually went where I wanted, and a 168 gr nosler accubond from my tikka .308 with tract toric 2-10 entered just behind the right shoulder (quartering away) and exited in the middle of the left shoulder. The large spray of blood hit the ground about the same time as the animal, which slide 10-15 yards down the hill. The 3 remaining animals seemed concerned enough to trot to an adjacent hill, then begin walking towards us. We two were still in a good position to shoot, but wanted the third to have a shot. He started walking over right as the animals cleared a small saddle, saw him, alerted, then ran away. We cleaned up the animals, split them between the three of us, and started the hike to spike camp just as it got dark and the unforecast rain turned to blowing snow in our faces.

We started hiking in a proverbial milk bowl with very little visibility, snow, dark, and a bunch of nasty terrain to work around. I was using a combo of gaia on my phone and my garmin watch to navigate. As is standard with these things, the best way to camp was neither direct, flat, dry, clear, or easy. I got us turned all the way around at least once. The wet snow was just enough to make a slippery mess on the mountain side. One of the team does significant winter mountaineering, and he commented we were squarely in the I wish we had crampons crowd. There were lots of falls. At one point, I had my phone and watch out navigating using rocks 20-30 yards in front to keep some semblance of a patch. Everybody was in good shape with heavy packs and a positive mental attitude. I keep my rifle in a Kifaru Gun Bearer, and it was not a good option. My headlamp would reflect off the barrel in front of me an ruin my night vision. If anybody has a way to minimize that problem, I'd love to hear it, cause the system is solid otherwise. At one point, I fell hard enough my rifle butt hit the ground hard enough to pull the quick release fore end webbing clean from the pack. Now I get to hike with a trekking pole in one hand and rifle in the other; not good for a jaunt through snowy mountains, but fixed the headlight glare off the barrel. We navigate 4 miles over 4 hours to 500 feet from camp based on GPS. We're still side hilling on some pretty steep grade, but we know our tent is in a shallow valley with flat ground. The team discusses whether we are above or below the camp. I don't want to run us into cliffs below camp, so I vote to angle higher. The other two vote to go lower. We drop 30 feet downhill into flat ground that we'd been side-hilling just above for a loooooooong time. Good news is it's flat, bad news we still can't find the tent. With 6x GPS devices we follow the waypoints to 200' from the tent. Finally we see glare off a couple reflective guy lines. The tent is covered with snow. Everybody is excited to see a cold tent. We secure the meat and gear, grab water, snag the stove, and crawl in the tent. I eat my peak refuel fast enough that I get it into my stomach before the liquid magma butternut dal bhat can burn my throat. It's delicious. Everybody is plenty tired, but functional. I use a gossamer gear thin light as an additional non-slip layer under my pad that adds another bit of slight insulation and doubles as a glassing sit pad when folded. Sleep wasn't a problem, and I probably didn't move enough to really need the non-skid feature.

OP
B

brolo

FNG
Day 5: We wake up a bit worn out from the previous morning's ordeal. All slept warm, dry, without interruption. We all had taken immodium the previous night to minimize the chance of getting up. By the morning, my freeze dried food and protein bars had overwhelmed modern medicine, and I relieved myself in a brisk wind on the side of the mountain. Wet wipes are glorious. Quick breakfast in the tent, then we put on our damp shells, boots, and gloves. My seal skinz were soaked through. It was cold enough my hands lost function quickly wearing them, so drying them by wearing them wasn't going to happen. I wore the ski gloves I also packed. I really like the waterproof seal skinz, the leather palm is great, and they are pretty slim. But they were tough to dry and I also needed to bring a heavy set of gloves. Does anybody have an idea for a glove system that keeps the wet/wind mostly out, dries quick, and can be layered for stationary activities? We packed up spike camp and meat, and started our way back to main camp. Heavy packs, slow moving, but we made it just fine in the afternoon. We stashed the meat, layer out gear to dry, and I ate a box of donuts. Afterwards, I grabbed my rifle and went out to check zero and make sure I can still kinda shoot. 10-shot group was normal size, but 1.5 left of center. Maybe it got bumped in the falls, riding in the gun bearer, etc. 1.5 mom did not cause me to miss the vital organs, but I really want to trust the aiming device to hold zero through normal mountain hunting use. I wonder if there is an effective aiming device with such durability...

OP
B

brolo

FNG
Days 6-7: Day hunting, lots of sitting, lots of miles, new areas explored, no more caribou spotted. We were happy to come home with the two. The rest was uneventful, and getting home day 8 was fine. By day 7, I was also regretting not shooting more of those caribou. We could have stashed the meat and spent the remainder of the hunt doing meat runs instead of looking for more animals to shoot. Knowing caribou may be in small groups, we should have discussed shooting multiples. I bet the group would have been ok to trade fewer people shooting for more meat and some heavy pack days. I would have been ok with no trigger time and double the backstops.

Major lessons learned:
-Practice shooting waaaaaaay more
-The .308 with accubond left a golfball sized exit wound. It was plenty for big game. A lower recoiling cartridge would be sufficient, and there are probably more efficient bullets for tissue destruction. Both of us who shot lost the animals in the scope and definitely couldn't spot our impacts since we were zoomed in so much with higher recoiling rifles. We knew better but couldn't resist. Combined with not zooming all the way to 10x, I bet I would have been able to take quicker follow-ups against more animals with a smaller cartridge.
-I need to adjust how I carry the rifle. I want it to be quick in bear country, and unobtrusive at night with a head lamp
-I need a new glove system that works while moving and static in 20-40 deg weather with a bunch of wind and precipitation. It needs a durable/protective palm for rough and pokey things. Dries quick, waterproofish, warm, able to shoot with or take off quickly.

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for providing such a detailed account - may want to go back and insert more paragraph breaks, I gave up reading and just dropped to the lessons learned.

Congrats on getting some caribou! Was curious about losing the animal in the scope due to recoil? I used a .338 Winchester Magnum for 17 years, can never remember losing a moose or bou from the sight picture after the shot. I'm not a big guy at 5'10 and 175 pounds...maybe rifle weight and barrel length contributed to lost sight picture, I was using a 24 inch barrel and my rifle/scope weighed in at 9.5 pounds...

You guys definitely put in the effort, we always tried to find a good vantage point near camp and glass for hours before we walked anywhere. More than one way to hunt them , glad you guys did the workout prep to allow you to do that.

OP
B

brolo

FNG
Plan: Three buddies and I planned a week-long mountain caribou hunt in Alaska. We were in it for the meat and experience. Everybody agreed we'd share the work and split the meat, regardless of who pulled the trigger. Stay in a main camp, combo of day-hunting and spike camp, kill a many as we could carry.

Prep: continuing exercise program focusing on functional fitness to be mountain ready. 3-5 days a week of weights, cardio, etc. Summer spent hiking with kiddo on my back, the two months before the hunt included 2-3 nights a week of 3 mile timed walk through the neighborhood with 60 lb pack after the kids were asleep. I felt good, but just wished I could do more hiking on broken terrain. Shooting practice was a number of range sessions shooting prone, sitting with trekking poles, and standing freehand. I was 95% hits inside 8 inch circle at 300 yd sitting with sticks, 90% rate in same circle at 100 yd standing. Prone was fine as well. All of this was calm wind on a range. I wanted to shoot much more, especially in timed drills with an elevated heart rate...this will become a factor during the hunt.

Day 1: Fly in. We brought a mix of waxed boxes with liner and tupperwares. The totes are easier to pack, good for meat, and actually cheaper than boxes. Gun cases were easy to check at the airport, one set of keys on a lanyard around my neck, the spare set in my carry on. First loss of the trip: carry-on bag of groceries got flagged at security, peanut butter and Nutella counts as a liquid/gel...bummer. Get to destination, get camp settled, check zero, do a few hours scouting before dark.

Day 2: Out the door and walking before dawn. Winds 20-50 mph, cloudy, rain/sleet/snow/ice periodically, 30-35 deg. Synthetic base layers key since they dry 2-3 times faster than merino, light fleece mid layer top and bottoms, sitka 3 layer goretex jacket and pants were great. They kept me mostly dry, vented really well, dried fast, good hood and pockets; headlamp and inreach lived in the coat, buff and chapstick in hip pockets, couple small snacks in cargo pocket to keep warmish...not too bulky and easy to reach. REI merino/synthetic blend beanie light, warm enough, dried quickly, and didn't stink. Seal Skin gloves were light enough, worked with the phone, kept hands dry, grippy, and I could shoot with them. Leukotape is a superstar; I put it on my feet on a couple known problem areas day 1 and didn't take it off til our last day. I wore a synthetic liner sock under darn tough light cushion socks; dried nicely, no stink. My boots are crispy briksdal goretex with 200g insulation matched with outdoor research verglas gaiters. This worked really well; the insides stayed dry enough through multiple water crossings, rain, snow, mud, and miles. My feet mostly stayed warm, they were only cold one morning getting going in camp and another day during a long glassing sit. I have a basic bino bro binocular harness. I really liked it's light weight, quiet use, and how it kept moisture and crud off the glass, but I wish it had a stiffer opening for one-handed use. I kept high contrast ski goggles on my head the whole day...life saver. I used a mystery ranch metcalf without the lid for day hunting. I packed it with a bladder, since I drink more than with bottles. Range-finder stayed on the hip belt, trauma kit in a bottle pouch, z seat in the other bottle pouch made for easy access for a glassing sit pad. I used a sea to summit pack cover. Inside the pack, I had a puffy jacket and pants in a dry sack. I used a Montbell Alpine parka. Outside of semi-custom options, I cannot find a better fitting, lightweight puffy with 7+ oz of down. It fits under my rain shell and worked really well. My pants were montbell synthetic full-zips that fit over my rain shell. They do pretty well, but down would be better. Inside the pack was a seek outside DST, kill kit, first-aid kit, and the rest of my day food. We hiked 7-8 miles up and down hills and mountains, stopped for a few decent glassing spots. Very little, and old caribou sign. No caribou sightings. Practiced gunnery on birds on the way back to camp, rifle challenging if you want salvageable meat. Shotgun was the most successful.

Thanks for providing such a detailed account - may want to go back and insert more paragraph breaks, I gave up reading and just dropped to the lessons learned.

Congrats on getting some caribou! Was curious about losing the animal in the scope due to recoil? I used a .338 Winchester Magnum for 17 years, can never remember losing a moose or bou from the sight picture after the shot. I'm not a big guy at 5'10 and 175 pounds...maybe rifle weight and barrel length contributed to lost sight picture, I was using a 24 inch barrel and my rifle/scope weighed in at 9.5 pounds...

You guys definitely put in the effort, we always tried to find a good vantage point near camp and glass for hours before we walked anywhere. More than one way to hunt them , glad you guys did the workout prep to allow you to do that.
Good points, thank you. With a 30 cal, I’ve never been able to spot my own shots or even keep the animal in the FOV at 9-10X mag. The rifle and scope weigh ~8 lbs, and I don’t grip the fore end on the lite 22” barrel, so lots of muzzle rise. There is definitely plenty of room to improve my overall shooting though.

I like your plan to look for the close game and avoid blowing out animals nearish camp. I shot my first caribou sitting in a camp chair wearing sandals and a t-shirt. In this area, previous trips and reports led us to believe the highest likelihood of seeing animals was in 2-3 areas, each 4-8 miles out. We hoped to see them nice and close, but had a long-range plan if it seemed more productive.

AKBorn

WKR
Thanks for the added info. All of my Alaska animals were shot from a seated position, almost all using shooting sticks with my left hand holding the fore end in the sticks, so that probably tamed the muzzle jump.

Shooting bou from camp sure helps when it comes time to pack meat! I shot my caribou this year in one camp chair with my rifle resting on another chair (buddy had my sticks). 2nd easiest pack I ever did, 250 yards downhill.

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Kuiu Guide Gloves for just about everything, then some small down mittens with Outdoor Research Goretex over mittens on top if I am sitting for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smtn10pt

FNG
How many rounds of ammo did you carry with you to feel comfortable shooting a 10 shot group to check your zero midway through the hunt?

OP
B

brolo

FNG
How many rounds of ammo did you carry with you to feel comfortable shooting a 10 shot group to check your zero midway through the hunt?
I brought 60 rounds. Enough for a 10 shot group after we landed, then some more in case I needed to check zero again. I wasn’t planning on the second check, but after some good falls and unrelated frustrations with my shooting, I wanted to double-check the system and my ability. I only hiked with 8 rounds; 4 in the gun and 4 wrapped in a rubber band. The rest stayed at main camp.

They were are spendy to shoot, but I’m probably going to start using a different hunting ammo anyways.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
In response to wanting to improve your glove game for those conditions, if you haven't settled on those yet, I've found the Showa 282-01 and 282-02 TEMRES gloves to be pretty awesome.
They're tough, waterproof, grippy, not too stiff (allows decent dexterity for a hand shoe), and resist pokes/thorns pretty well.
If you want a little more warmth, there's enough room in them for a thin liner too.
My go-to glove for AK hunting now. When hunting where it's going to be a maelstrom of rain all day (like Kodiak or similar) I bring two pairs and just rotate them each day, turn that day's pair inside out in the tent so the inside can dry overnight/following day.
When it's warmer than about 15 F I'll wear them nordic skiing and such in the winter too.

Only downside is they don't breath super well, they do have enough 'flop' that air circulates some if you want it to, but what article that's truly waterproof breaths super well?

OP
B

brolo

FNG
In response to wanting to improve your glove game for those conditions, if you haven't settled on those yet, I've found the Showa 282-01 and 282-02 TEMRES gloves to be pretty awesome.
They're tough, waterproof, grippy, not too stiff (allows decent dexterity for a hand shoe), and resist pokes/thorns pretty well.
If you want a little more warmth, there's enough room in them for a thin liner too.
My go-to glove for AK hunting now. When hunting where it's going to be a maelstrom of rain all day (like Kodiak or similar) I bring two pairs and just rotate them each day, turn that day's pair inside out in the tent so the inside can dry overnight/following day.
When it's warmer than about 15 F I'll wear them nordic skiing and such in the winter too.

Only downside is they don't breath super well, they do have enough 'flop' that air circulates some if you want it to, but what article that's truly waterproof breaths super well?
Thanks! I’ve seen folks in the ultralight backpacking crowd use the Showas, but didn’t know how they would work when it’s prickly.