2023 Blacktail Success Thread

Rogue Bay

WKR
Well, I’m getting over my pity party not hunting the last week due to poor judgment. I had been all over this day, pretty much walking from 6am until I shot just after 4pm

I started by going straight up the road system just shy of 8 miles and it was terrible weather, blowing super hard and dumping rain… no glassing to be done and hard to even look into the weather… felt somewhat pointless but I know that time of year, weather doesn’t stop bucks from moving, but I wasn’t seeing anything.

Around noon or 1 the wind let up and I was able to glass up a doe, she had no company and she fed out of sight

I came back down and crossed to the next road system to the north and hunted that whole road system with no fresh sign or deer, but it was getting pretty foggy so visibility was limited

I walked down the face of a cut to get out of there and when I was getting out of that zone I cut a big buck track crossing and going up the next canyon, I knew this track well but hadn’t put eyes on the buck, I was tired and wet but there was no walking by that track knowing it was fresh and knowing he was going to be somewhere in the big cut across the creek

I fought my way through the bottom, it was all brush and blowdown, but finally got into the bottom of the cut, and planned on working my way up the ridge on the east side, and getting up to the landing and hunting around the top to keep my wind good… I knew the buck was in there and just hoped I could spot him before he saw me with the fog.

I get 3/4 to the landing and his track goes down into the draw, and shortly after, I spot him bedded 175yds across… he has no idea I exist

I find a place to get set up and take my tripod off my pack and get it set up, mount my binos and try to figure out exactly what he is… it’s a big deer, short muzzle, big double throat patch, gray face, but I can’t make out what he has for head gear… dark antlers, dark background and fog and that soaking misty rain… I can see little flashes of his antlers but can’t tell what they are as they blend in with the slash behind him, and now my binos are full of water

I decide he has to be a pretty good buck, and I’m going to shoot him. Get my gun setup on my pack, feel steady, put crosshairs on his neck and start applying pressure… boom whop! Work the bolt but there was no need, I saw the underside of his face go up and fall back down.

I cross this nasty draw and get over to him and my heart sinks… ugh. Well, he has a lot of meat is the only positive thought I can think. I was bummed out that I just gave up a week of hunting, but you can’t unshoot them… I would have been completely stoked with this buck on the last day or two, but I was not planning on letting my tag go on anything but a good buck until the last couple days… very few people I know well had a tag left, so that really put the brakes on my hunting. I thought for sure this buck was going to be a much bigger antlered buck, he was the big track in the area, and historically there is always a dandy in this area… if there was this year, he had little feet😂

Lesson learned, I have never had that happen before, and there were a couple other bucks I was really wanting to look at, but they are both still alive, and will be a step ahead next year. Only got 3 less packages of meat out of this one than my wife’s dandy, which made me happy… I prefer deer meat over elk and we did good in that regard… it’s bittersweet for me even when it’s a big buck if there is some season left, but it stung a little more this year killing the smallest antlered buck I remember with 8 days of November left to hunt

It certainly beats not filling the tag, and if it wasn’t such a mess to get out of there I would have loved to save the cape for a later use, he had an awesome cape, but I was in a hurry not wanting to navigate the bottom of this canyon in the dark
That’s a beautiful buck! Heck of a body on him too!

TripleJ

WKR
Good job Roosie! That buck may not have had the head gear to match his body, but it's still a great buck. Some of my most memorable hunts aren't necessarily the bucks/bulls with the biggest rack, but the hunts where I feel like I actually hunted and figured out that particular animal that day.

Here’s my two from Alaska this last week. These were my first two black tails ever and I’m super pumped about both of them.
Geezuz! Those are dreamy! I doubt you'd spill which island, but if you would, I'd be interested in a PM. I am wanting to plan a trip back north. Was not impressed with POW....I am ready to invest in better odd and better bucks.

TravKatQ

WKR
Wife and I with a couple solid A-Zone bucks.
aad60380925d7c4f3191c48d39c6e4c4.jpg

c67d090db0c5bf28a5312fc65453f194.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowMan86

FNG
Just got back from a trip to Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. Spent most of my time trying to get my son his first buck, but I was lucky enough to get a nice one as well. Didn’t see a ton of deer but we had a great time!

Attachments

• 2C3CE9F3-7AE0-4ACF-931A-1092CD06DCE2.jpeg
    2C3CE9F3-7AE0-4ACF-931A-1092CD06DCE2.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 1408E188-CE8D-4985-B592-ED1CC3BD7CBC.jpeg
    1408E188-CE8D-4985-B592-ED1CC3BD7CBC.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 3B6E4A95-1BAC-46DC-916C-D0D74666D1F4.jpeg
    3B6E4A95-1BAC-46DC-916C-D0D74666D1F4.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 158
Just got back from a trip to Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. Spent most of my time trying to get my son his first buck, but I was lucky enough to get a nice one as well. Didn’t see a ton of deer but we had a great time!
POW blacktail are the prettiest deer in the world, sounds like a fun hunt! How did you feel about your timing? I’m tentatively planning a trip up there and trying to decide on what week to go

Congrats, that buck you killed is a dandy!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
POW blacktail are the prettiest deer in the world, sounds like a fun hunt! How did you feel about your timing? I’m tentatively planning a trip up there and trying to decide on what week to go

Having never hunted there, I must say I am quite surprised just how pretty they are.

BowMan86

FNG

We were there the 12-18th. We stayed with Thorne Bay Lodge and the guy who runs the place says that that is usually his best week. He believes that the peak of the rut the past few years is around the 15th. I personally didn’t see any rutting activity and the few bucks that we saw were by themselves. It was kinda weird because the other guys out there hunting kinda experienced the same thing, but all the bucks killed had swollen necks and they all stunk really bad.

We were there the 12-18th. We stayed with Thorne Bay Lodge and the guy who runs the place says that that is usually his best week. He believes that the peak of the rut the past few years is around the 15th. I personally didn’t see any rutting activity and the few bucks that we saw were by themselves. It was kinda weird because the other guys out there hunting kinda experienced the same thing, but all the bucks killed had swollen necks and they all stunk really bad.
thanks! I’m considering the same location, be the easiest way to go up there by myself for a week. Yeah, I see he has a big ol neck on him

I have a friend who guides in Hollis, but have lost his contact info over the years, if I can’t dig up his info, Thorne bay is probably the route I will go

Kodiak looks fun too, but those POW bucks are just so cool, and the habitat they live in just seems more fun to hunt for me

I have worked up there a couple years but we were working every single day, I went with the guy who unloaded our boat one day but that’s the extent of my hunting up there

Considered going up there for cucumber season since it’s only 2 days of work a week and a day or two of surveying, but I don’t feel like being away that long, so a hunting trip makes the most sense

Rogue Bay

WKR
Kodiak Blacktail I shot this last week!
Congrats to both of you. Those are beautiful deer and that four point is a dandy! I agree they are the prettiest deer in the world. I hope to make it up there for a hunt someday.