2023 BLM GRAZING RATES

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I said nobody is getting rich. $10 a head profit is not out of the ordinary at all in the cow calf and feeder segments. And many operate at a loss because agriculture is a write off if you have a business accountant that knows what they are doing. Meat prices are a bit different. Packers and retail hold the power.

I think some people assume ranchers are sitting back raking in millions of public land grazing. It’s called poverty ranching for a reason.
nobody is getting rich off public land grazing? sounds like these 'nobodies' don't have the business sense to make money hand over fist. the ones that do are going to buy out the little guys.

either that or lets argue over the semantics of 'rich' vs agreeing that public land welfare grazing causes too many externalities to provide value to the land owners vs a niche group.

COelk89

FNG
You'd lose that bet on the creeks & water sources. Not every rancher is the person you're cleaning up after. And no, we did not make it in ranching. Very few folks do, most are lucky to break even.

I wanted you to tell me more about how we are all 'playing cowboy living on subsidies' when we (like most others I know) are working full-time jobs off-property, not taking yearly subsidies, and running a cattle operation.

It's obvious that your work has jaded you (maybe rightfully so, energy companies around here do not always clean up well either), however your lack of ability to separate problem landowners from everyone else shows a stark lack of objectivity and makes me think you should not be in a position to advise or set policy.

Then I would pose to you why do most ranches even exist if in your words they can barely break even? Dare I say, are you a hobby rancher?

Wasn't this discussion about capitalism and welfare ranchers?

If you were able to afford your place from money made outside of ranching, then that is not you. If you are complaining about energy companies in the present tense and you are not where I am, then I venture to say you are in the DJ, which means you are on private ground, not a grazing allotment. So why are you sticking up for the people that you should be separating yourself from.

I may sound harsh, but the evidence is on my side. Unlike ranchers who have had free reign over our public land for 150 years and put very little back into it, energy companies have pretty strict regulations and they actually do receive and pay large fines and permitting fees. Do you pay a severance tax on a cow sold? I am guessing not...

WTFJohn

WKR
Then I would pose to you why do most ranches even exist if in your words they can barely break even? Dare I say, are you a hobby rancher?

Wasn't this discussion about capitalism and welfare ranchers?

If you were able to afford your place from money made outside of ranching, then that is not you. If you are complaining about energy companies in the present tense and you are not where I am, then I venture to say you are in the DJ, which means you are on private ground, not a grazing allotment. So why are you sticking up for the people that you should be separating yourself from.

I may sound harsh, but the evidence is on my side. Unlike ranchers who have had free reign over our public land for 150 years and put very little back into it, energy companies have pretty strict regulations and they actually do receive and pay large fines and permitting fees. Do you pay a severance tax on a cow sold? I am guessing not...

Ranches (just like any business) make or lose money for a multitude of reasons, and the only ranch I can speak for is my own. No, this is not a hobby ranch. Beyond that, I'll let you make all the assumptions you'd like to about where our cows graze and what gets put back into the land.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
No one complains in January when the snow is asshole deep and the deer are living off the ranchers hay stacks.
They are allowed to graze on winter range. Historically big game didn't live off the ranchers hay stacks. I'll also add every state has programs to reimburse for these losses.

Grazing fees are just the tip of the iceberg for farm/ranch subsidies; NRCS, FSA, blah blah blah. It's something like 30-40% of the average ranch income comes from subsidy programs. Then they hide everything to show next to 0 profit.
lol, this is false. 70% of all farm subsidies are crop insurance premiums and if you are subsiding premiums those go to the Insurance company not the farmer, so how could it be income?

and the other half of that is actual insurance claim, which do go to the farmer, but seldom cover more them seed and planting costs. You claim insurance your losing just not as much as if you didn't have insurance.

Alot if us bigger guys do make a profit, we are big enough that we are more diversified in crops and locations. Im all for cutting all subsidies. Means Im buying lots if cheap country bought at auction for fraction of the worth. Just more diversity options for us bigger guys. As far as tax’s if you dont like the tax code, change it.

as far as BLM, Im blessed i dont have to rent marginal ground and compete against feral horse, etc, for already extremely marginal country with extremely limited water. Tough living glad it aint me.

Last edited:
They are allowed to graze on winter range. Historically big game didn't live off the ranchers hay stacks. I'll also add every state has programs to reimburse for these losses.
yelp I may draw a Sept landowner tag to sell to help cover the cost of my Feb winter wheat loses. Yaaaaaa Still thousands down. Not much of a program.

nobody is getting rich off public land grazing? sounds like these 'nobodies' don't have the business sense to make money hand over fist. the ones that do are going to buy out the little guys.

either that or lets argue over the semantics of 'rich' vs agreeing that public land welfare grazing causes too many externalities to provide value to the land owners vs a niche group.
Im sure there are a few that do well, but most are getting by more or less, the lower the stocking rates, the higher your operational costs thus contributing to lower margins. If you are making great money to tend to invest in less risky more productive environments.

Ive talked to a few in NM, NV and AZ that had stocking rates of one -two section per cow. I have improved pasture in places allowing me to run 1 cow per 40 acres… But I average about 1/80

Significant difference but thats also why NV, AZ, NM, UT, etc are so low on cattle production numbers.

Feds are going to get there money, sooner or latter you will really hate the alternate lessor.

crazy how many people are anti farmer and rancher though, crazy. Its ok big Ag is winning. Im sure JBS, Bank of America, Blackrock etc will take better care of the land then a generational farmer or rancher

I recommend everyone read Buffalo for the Broken Heart. It's a great book, and I agree with the author.

Cowbell

WKR
Like it or not that is reality. The cattle industry lobby in DC is orders of magnitude larger than the hunting or wildlife conservation lobby. It’s pretty black and white at this point that DC is a swamp of bribery and the most money wins. And stop with the “this side is not as bad as that side”. All of them should be hung from the gallows on the White House lawn. I’ll bring the timber.
This is simply not true. Hunting and wildlife have a much much larger footprint in DC

Cowbell

WKR
I'll take their shitting in the creek ahead of trampling the veg and putting all that soil in the streambed any day. Fencing out streams should be 100% required on all public grazing lands at a minimum.
This is laughable....because herds of elk would never have the same effect...

This is simply not true. Hunting and wildlife have a much much larger footprint in DC
Source? If that’s true then it should be no problem for them to bribe the right people to pass a bill to vaporize federal leases tomorrow. 😅

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Think about how much more private land owners could charge to graze in summer months if they weren't competing with the government undercutting their prices....
That seems kinda high pasture ground in Iowa is $60-$120 annual rent normally 2-4 acres per pair

jg58

FNG
BLM GRAZING RATES 2023

I think this is the right table.

A lot of guys complain about livestock on federal lands, they have been on federal lands for over 150 years.

The BLM used to be known as the General Land Office and the US Grazing Service.

AUM is animal unit month, so each month a Rancher in Wyoming is paying $8.10 per AUM during the grazing season, generally April or May until September or October.

AUM is equal to a bull, horse, cow and calf pair or 5 sheep.

State$/AUMState$/AUMState$/AUMState$/AUM
AZ$3.03CA$7.51CO$6.35ID$6.18
MT$8.98NE$14.93NV$3.03NM$5.30
ND$7.75OK$3.03OR$6.18SD$12.48
UT$6.18WA$5.13WY$8.10
Better ground

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Im sure there are a few that do well, but most are getting by more or less
This was my point.
crazy how many people are anti farmer and rancher though, crazy. Its ok big Ag is winning. Im sure JBS, Bank of America, Blackrock etc will take better care of the land then a generational farmer or rancher
don't take my sentiment as anti rancher/farmer. I have 2 wishes - that we didnt graze every acre of USFS/ BLM (or allowed off years etc) and there were stiffer penalties for the cows that trample and washout the creeks, overgraze etc.

This was my point.

don't take my sentiment as anti rancher/farmer. I have 2 wishes - that we didnt graze every acre of USFS/ BLM (or allowed off years etc) and there were stiffer penalties for the cows that trample and washout the creeks, overgraze etc.

Has a hunter I get the over grazing, especially sheep since they can eat to the root. With that said we arent exactly letting fire do its job either, so correct grazing does help the land scape.

Worst conservationists America has ever seen is every signature on the wild horse and buro act, damn sure not the boot leathered old man scratching a living on rough country that few wanted to settle.