2023 Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say I'm wild about spine shots... but this was a bit of redemption for the trad bow on day 4. Still maintain that I would never go multiple days between practice sessions with a longbow on a hunt. That's what judo tips and dirt clods are for.
View attachment 550333
Trumpkin!
we get it that you’d never go days without shooting. You say it multiple times every year. But most guys do go days without shooting, or wait until late summer to prep their bow. This challenge addresses both. I think we’re on the same page. Thanks for coming out this year.

SouthPaw

WKR
Yes changing positions is legal but we need to keep the same MER though out the challenge. This is a personal challenge so dabbling in an undefined area such as line of sight vs angle compensated distance for MER is left to the shooter.

The purpose is to show case how changing daily conditions and lack of practice even over a period as short as 5 days will affect your shooting. This is obviously amplified as the distance grows which is why Maximum Effective Range is specified.

This is a personal reinforcement of our own boundaries but also a learning tool for those perhaps less experienced watching from the side lines to see what changing conditions can do down range to even very good archers. That's why we ask contestants to list the shooting conditions at the time of the shot.
Thank you. Sounds like we're good. Totally agreed on the general purpose, and appreciate that we can take it a step further to replicate mountain hunting scenarios.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. Sounds like we're good. Totally agreed on the general purpose, and appreciate that we can take it a step further to replicate mountain hunting scenarios.
Yes, you’re good to shoot angles, more people should.

I took my target to the hills and did an angle shot in the 2020 CBC and it‘s still the one shot that I remember the most.

Trumpkin!
we get it that you’d never go days without shooting. You say it multiple times every year. But most guys do go days without shooting, or wait until late summer to prep their bow. This challenge addresses both. I think we’re on the same page. Thanks for coming out this year.
Sorry Robby. I'll dial the zealotry back. I really do appreciate this challenge every year because it shows me what I can and can't get away with. I should be more thankful and less gripey. Thanks for putting up with us, and for the opportunity to test our setups in public every year!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Robby. I'll dial the zealotry back. I really do appreciate this challenge every year because it shows me what I can and can't get away with. I should be more thankful and less gripey. Thanks for putting up with us, and for the opportunity to test our setups in public every year!
You’re welcome brother and super glad you’re here. You bring a lot to the challnge guys can learn from, including the whole trad angle. Someone‘s out there who’s a better shooter because of your posts.

And BTW, did I mention that I hate the Cold Bow challenge?

NB7

WKR
I've really enjoyed doing it, this was my first year. Waited until it was pouring yesterday and shot in the rain, shot my 4th day this morning in the cold before work as opposed to afternoon after being on the move all day. Thinking maybe a shot from kneeling position tomorrow just to keep mixing it up. The pressure of wanting to make that perfect hit on your only shot, while adding in some different scenarios really adds to the fun I think.

CMF

WKR
This year's cold bow challenge showed me what not having your head in the game can do to a person shooting. It has been a long stressful week at work and my last 3 shooting sessions were all rushed and my mind was elsewhere and it really shows in my shooting. This is a good reminder of why I love bowhunting so much, it's my time to disconnect from the daily grind for several weeks every fall. I defiantly can't wait until things here slow down enough for me to start shooting more. It would be cool to see another cold bow challenge during late summer with the same people and the same MER and see how much of a difference a summer of shooting can make.
This was my first one. I'm down for another one later in summer, even if it's unofficial. If someone wants to start one, I'd say post it here as well since we'll have notifications for this thread. I didn't see this challenge until Friday, and although I have been shooting some, I wasn't ready. I had to adjust might Saturday before I started Sunday, and after barely getting 3/5, I'm ready to get it together. I'm going to start tracking my first shot when practicing too.
Thanks to the sponsors and those putting this on.
It's hard to force myself not to shoot more once the bow is out, but this challenge makes it obvious that we should do it more often. It also puts real numbers to what we think we can do, which is obviously overestimated, lol.

My 6 yr. old son pulled my last arrow before I got to the target. After I explained to him what he’d done, he “put it back”.
Just curious if I need to do anything further?
I posted more details under the main thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
This was my first year shooting the CBC. I finished today with 3/5 hits, but even my hits were marginal. It started out fun even with a 1st shot miss… I wanted to throw my bow after my last shot today.

I shot it with fixed BHs and got some new Sevrs this year. For some dumb reason I am thinking about running it again with the Sevrs to see if I do any better.

After the all of the anger and frustration passed I can appreciate what the challenge did. I am excited to get a summer of practice in and shoot this again closer to season to see what improvement is made.

lak2004

WKR
This was my first year shooting the CBC. I finished today with 3/5 hits, but even my hits were marginal. It started out fun even with a 1st shot miss… I wanted to throw my bow after my last shot today.

I shot it with fixed BHs and got some new Sevrs this year. For some dumb reason I am thinking about running it again with the Sevrs to see if I do any better.

After the all of the anger and frustration passed I can appreciate what the challenge did. I am excited to get a summer of practice in and shoot this again closer to season to see what improvement is made.
I love the sevrs. Field point accuracy and nice that you can lock them for practice. Shoot it again!

WBrim

WKR

That’s what the CBC does - sort of makes you really look at your self. It gives you a good honest perspective, huh? It stings sometimes, but it’s cool.

ColoradoV

WKR
Man, it's hard to keep up with all the shooters. 100 doesn't seem like that many guys till you try to keep up with how everyone shoots. So many questions pop up too... things like "did @ColoradoV rattle can over a sitka pattern on that Hoyt?" and "is the PSE Evo THAT much faster at 31 inches than my Hoyt RX-4 with heavy arrows?"

Haha well I have to clarify for you. The rx4 is kuiu verde not Sitka sub alpine. I did “rattle can” anywhere on the bow that might have even a slight reflection. 😎🔥. The option site I had to almost completely repaint as it was too shiny for my liking. Same w the tight spot quiver.

Now I do have a freshie Rx5 ultra in Sitka subalpine I just determined to be a shooter so it will soon get the “old rattle can” treatment before it gets new strings, a canyon pounder, and a whisker biscuit!!

Also I will say the sevr has worked well for me. They do get less penetration and tear up targets. Practicing everyday w the same heads you shoot when it counts helps me.

I have posted this before as this buck was shot w a sevr at my mer of 54 yards.

CA190D32-7DBF-449B-814C-82AD56B45E99.jpeg