2023 Goat on Kodiak

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
This is long. Here's the short version - 2 hunters, 2 goats - both 3.5 years old, one 8" and one 7.5" with 5" bases. One less than 100 yards and one at 31 yards. The greatest, most rewarding experience of my life.

9/26 I flew ABQ-SLC-SEA-ANC and stayed the night in Anchorage to start my trip. My hunting partner, Will, flew from Midland to Anchorage.
9/27 We went back to ANC to catch the 1:46 to ADQ, TSA swabbed my rifle case thoroughly, then closed it, flipped it upside down and opened it again, successfully dumping my rifle case completely out and swabbing it again after going through it right side up!
We were starting descent to Kodiak when we noticed the airplane turning and gaining altitude…. We got sent all the way back to Anchorage as there was ash in the air from Shishaldin. We got back to ANC, got a hotel room and went to dinner with a Danish hunter who was also headed to Kodiak for goats with a different outfitter.
I was put on an early morning flight for 9/28 and my hunting partner was put on 9/29! It took some scrambling and begging Alaska Airlines but he made it onto the 9/28 flight with me, but he wasn’t back in first class that time.
I have seen comments about flying with too many bags on Alaska… I checked two bags and a rifle, with no problem, no questions and no fees, but I was in first class so that may have been part of it? That is the only reason I booked first class, was to avoid the issues.

9/28 Up at 3:15 back to ANC made it to Kodiak finally and were met by the outfitter. We did paperwork, picked up our locking tags and grabbed a bite at Subway. We got on our Beaver bush plane at 1 and flew to a lake at 700 feet elevation. We had a short 1.6 mile hike to camp that only gained 1,326 feet of elevation. It was the worst hike of my life with the alders and the devils club and when not in those, the grasses and ferns were chest high. Should have gotten more sleep and should have eaten more. Pack was 62.5 pounds at this point, including rifle, 7 days of food etc. We saw a group of 29 goats on the mountain to which we were headed.

9/29 Friday is day two and we hiked to next camp, 4.52 miles with 1,253 elevation gain. Went through an ash area that had been turned into a bears toilet like a giant kitty litter box. We watched a sow with three cubs, saw a few Blacktail deer, doe and bucks and 7 total bears. We found a campsite to stay out of the wind and hunkered down. Two hunters, two guides and two packers. There were three Will’s… a hunter, a packer and a bush pilot!

9/30 Saturday we were fogged in to the deck with rain so we stayed in our tents all day. Thank goodness for a gallon Ziploc bag! And to heck with Hilleberg Akto tents. If you are the slightest bit claustrophobic, or if you like to be able to sit up in your tent, this is not the tent for you. If you do buy one, take a clothespin to keep the vestibule door open as the design is garbage. We had a little snow but temps were not unbearable.

10/1 Sunday we saw goats at the back of the bowl and at the top of the mountain. There were also two resident bears hanging out on the mountain. We hiked 2 miles to north end of the mountain, moving our camp. We set up camp and were almost finished when there was a string of mountain goats headed toward us across the face of the mountain. There was a 4 1/2 year-old for sure and a good 3 1/2 year old so I agreed that if Will shot a 4 1/2 and I had the opportunity to shoot the younger one that I would not care, if his coat was great. We climbed 150 yards to wait for them. A 2 year old billy and a nanny stood on a rock and stared at us at 38 yards for a full three minutes while we lay there staring at them through our scopes. The rest of the herd had gone around a small hill, so we repositioned. Willy got steady and shot his at under 100 yards. One shot one kill. 3.5 year old, 8” long horns. The string continued on while one nanny kept turning around and looking back at the dead billy. Within just a few minutes, they were at the top of the mountain, staring down at us. We got some good pictures and Will and I got off the mountain. It was not a terribly late night. The ptarmigan flocks were large and abundant… I wished I had brought a packable .22! (Will picture)

IMG_5755.JPG10/2 Monday, we got up and one of the guides and packers started boning Will’s while the other Will, Chris and I went around into a bowl and up a saddle. We looked over and saw resident hunters camped and three guys milling around camp. They were flown in, probably by a Maule or a Cub to a high alpine lake. We saw goats high on the mounted and we started to pursue when we heard a rifle shot. It was from one of the residents, apparently not all of them were in camp! They pushed goats our direction and we watched and waited. About 15 goats ran within 30 yards of us, but it was fast and they popped up out of nowhere. We could not tell what was a shooter. We moved to a new position and watched them climb the mountain we had just left. At that point the goats were 500 yards away, going up the hill and we had no idea what was a shooter, and they were changing positions rapidly. They were mixed up with kids and nannies and their heads were all down. It was a long shot across the canyon so we just watched them. We hiked about 1.5 miles total and less than 700 feet of vertical… it was nice to hike without the full camp on my back. (Saddle Lake picture)
IMG_5768.JPG

My guide, Chris, our packer, Will and I decided to pack up and move camp back to the bowl area due to the residents so we traveled with Will and his packer and guide (David and Erin) back to that area and continue to look for goats. We trekked 2.02 miles moving camp. Will, his guide and their packer moved on towards the lake for evacuation, leaving my guide, packer and me.

We decided to make a play on a goat we could see bedded at the back of a bowl, fairly high on the mountain. It was close to 5PM and we knew he would be up within the next 1.5 hours so we made a play.
There were three alluvial fans and we decided if we could get to the furthest from us, closest to the goat it might be a doable shot. We got delayed on the hike to the spot when I thought “That is an interesting rock” and decided to look through my binos. It was a bear, 175 yards from us, above us, staring down, wondering what these three things were doing wandering through his domain.
IMG_5771.JPG(Bear picture) I shot some video and a snapshot and we kept moving. We finally got to the spot we were attempting to get to and the goat was up, feeding away, and was soon to cross the top and be gone. I ranged, got prone, didn’t breathe or dry fire, wasn’t as set as I should have been and whiffed the shot. Clean miss, no harm, no foul and at a good distance, up hill with the winds whipping around in that bowl, I wasn’t surprised. It was a Hail Mary and while not irresponsible, it was a low probability shot. I’ve made successful shots on animals at much further distances but this one was not meant to be. It was about 1.4 miles of hiking there and back to our camp and about 810 feet of elevation change.
cont...

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
cont...
10/3 Tuesday we awoke to find goats headed out of the bottom of the bowl and along the high peaks and ridges of the mountains. We knew weather was coming Wednesday at Noon with winds approaching 50mph and rain (which where we were would have been snow) and we knew that it may be Friday (or longer) before our bush pilot could pick us up at the lake if we didn’t get things done.

We checked out a few nobs but nothing was doable so we set out to climb to the top of the mountain. 1.97 miles 2,300 feet of ascent. We hunted the top then north, to where we had seen the goats ascend a few days before when Will shot his and the next morning when the resident shot theirs in the valley below. We hiked back to the south to the bowl. We encountered a young nanny and an older nanny and passed on those. We made a move to get closer to the ridge at the back of the bowl and a nanny stepped out at 60 yards. We all got down quickly, she stared at us and then decided to lay down and watch us. She was older but not what I climbed the mountain for. We didn’t want to spook her because we didn’t want her to blow out the other goats. After about 15 minutes she finally moved away. We moved a little ways and encountered a young billy… same thing… he had us pinned for so long I finally just stood up and walked at a 45 degree angle to him, got above him and was 12 yards from him while he stayed bedded. There was a goat nestled into the mountain that we figured was 3.5 years old, but 400 yards away and bedded. If he fell, it would be on the right side of the mountain. There were plenty of other goats but on the wrong side of the ridge…. If they fell, it would make a long trip down to retrieve, and then up and over the mountain and back down the camp side. We decided it was too far and too risky with the winds so we backed out.
After grabbing packs and starting down, I noticed a small ledge, ranged it and saw that it would cut about 100 yards off that shot so we ambled down to it… lo and behold the goats from the other side were milling around at the top of the ridge!

We got flat and started judging. There were two 3.5 year olds, one whose coat was nicer than the others. The one we had originally been thinking of was 325 yards and these were sub 200. We waited as they sorted and we watched 4 nannies climb to a knob much closer to us, then a nanny and kid, then a young billy… the entire herd was moving towards us! Nannies and kids filed by within feet while we waited for the two oldest billies to come closer, where, if they fell, they’d fall camp side. We got stared down by an old, shaggy, shedding and wise nanny and I thought we were busted but she finally relented and ambled by. The goat with the better coat stepped up on a knob, turned broadside and absorbed 212gr of ELDX at 31 yards. (Man, I wish I had my bow with me!). He jumped, fell dead and… then… he kicked. He fell 1,176 feet to the bottom (bottom pic) in a matter of seconds but no horns broke off.
IMG_0180.jpeg

It took me 1hr36 minutes to descend that distance… .43 miles of non existent trail, frozen grass (thank goodness for micro spikes!) shale and ash with a nice frosting of ice on it. I did a cried a little, peed a little and prayed a lot getting down that!
It was dark when we got to the goat so the pics were with headlamps and his jaw was broken from the fall (goat pic).
IMG_0250.jpegGuide and packer skinned him out while I held legs and was on bear watch… it was dark so that really just consisted of turning in circles looking for glowing eyes!
At 10:30 we packed the skinned/gutted goat out to camp .96 miles and a drop in elevation of about 700 feet. By 12:15 we were all nestled in for some much needed sleep.

10/4 Wednesday we were up at 7 for coffee, breakfast and tear down camp. We boned out the goat, filled up water and headed to the lake for evacuation 5.2 miles out in 3h30 minutes with 2,456 feet of descent. It was breakneck speed with full packs through the alders and all of that but we finally got to the lake. Winds were howling, it was 2:00PM and the pilot said the best he could do would be Noon the next day. We cut a den out in the alders next to the lake, pitched tents and settled into them until the next morning around 8.
Pilot picked us up at Noon and we flew to “fish camp” to pick up my buddy Will who had been having hot showers, home cooked meals (backstrap included) and sleeping in a warm bed.

We stayed in Kodiak that night and back to Anchorage the next day. We ran into other hunters (residents) who had flown to Kodiak with us both times and who had successfully hunted goats as well.

It was the experience of a lifetime for sure.

GEAR:
300PRC shooting 212gr Hornady factory loads
Leupold VX6-HD
Lathrop and Sons boots
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 top
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 bottom
Kuiu Attack pants
Sitka Ambient 1/4 zip midlayer
Kuiu Superdown LT hooded
Elk skin work gloves
Kuiu 210 gloves
Kuiu Yukon gators
Kuiu Chugach rain gear
Outdoorsmans pack with Long Range bag
Kuiu Super Down 15 degree bag
Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm
Phoenix Shooting Bags TBD (great pillow, great seat, great shooting bag)
Petzl Swift RL

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
cont...
10/3 Tuesday we awoke to find goats headed out of the bottom of the bowl and along the high peaks and ridges of the mountains. We knew weather was coming Wednesday at Noon with winds approaching 50mph and rain (which where we were would have been snow) and we knew that it may be Friday (or longer) before our bush pilot could pick us up at the lake if we didn’t get things done.

We checked out a few nobs but nothing was doable so we set out to climb to the top of the mountain. 1.97 miles 2,300 feet of ascent. We hunted the top then north, to where we had seen the goats ascend a few days before when Will shot his and the next morning when the resident shot theirs in the valley below. We hiked back to the south to the bowl. We encountered a young nanny and an older nanny and passed on those. We made a move to get closer to the ridge at the back of the bowl and a nanny stepped out at 60 yards. We all got down quickly, she stared at us and then decided to lay down and watch us. She was older but not what I climbed the mountain for. We didn’t want to spook her because we didn’t want her to blow out the other goats. After about 15 minutes she finally moved away. We moved a little ways and encountered a young billy… same thing… he had us pinned for so long I finally just stood up and walked at a 45 degree angle to him, got above him and was 12 yards from him while he stayed bedded. There was a goat nestled into the mountain that we figured was 3.5 years old, but 400 yards away and bedded. If he fell, it would be on the right side of the mountain. There were plenty of other goats but on the wrong side of the ridge…. If they fell, it would make a long trip down to retrieve, and then up and over the mountain and back down the camp side. We decided it was too far and too risky with the winds so we backed out.
After grabbing packs and starting down, I noticed a small ledge, ranged it and saw that it would cut about 100 yards off that shot so we ambled down to it… lo and behold the goats from the other side were milling around at the top of the ridge!

We got flat and started judging. There were two 3.5 year olds, one whose coat was nicer than the others. The one we had originally been thinking of was 325 yards and these were sub 200. We waited as they sorted and we watched 4 nannies climb to a knob much closer to us, then a nanny and kid, then a young billy… the entire herd was moving towards us! Nannies and kids filed by within feet while we waited for the two oldest billies to come closer, where, if they fell, they’d fall camp side. We got stared down by an old, shaggy, shedding and wise nanny and I thought we were busted but she finally relented and ambled by. The goat with the better coat stepped up on a knob, turned broadside and absorbed 212gr of ELDX at 31 yards. (Man, I wish I had my bow with me!). He jumped, fell dead and… then… he kicked. He fell 1,176 feet to the bottom (bottom pic) in a matter of seconds but no horns broke off.
View attachment 611926

It took me 1hr36 minutes to descend that distance… .43 miles of non existent trail, frozen grass (thank goodness for micro spikes!) shale and ash with a nice frosting of ice on it. I did a cried a little, peed a little and prayed a lot getting down that!
It was dark when we got to the goat so the pics were with headlamps and his jaw was broken from the fall (goat pic).
View attachment 611927Guide and packer skinned him out while I held legs and was on bear watch… it was dark so that really just consisted of turning in circles looking for glowing eyes!
At 10:30 we packed the skinned/gutted goat out to camp .96 miles and a drop in elevation of about 700 feet. By 12:15 we were all nestled in for some much needed sleep.

10/4 Wednesday we were up at 7 for coffee, breakfast and tear down camp. We boned out the goat, filled up water and headed to the lake for evacuation 5.2 miles out in 3h30 minutes with 2,456 feet of descent. It was breakneck speed with full packs through the alders and all of that but we finally got to the lake. Winds were howling, it was 2:00PM and the pilot said the best he could do would be Noon the next day. We cut a den out in the alders next to the lake, pitched tents and settled into them until the next morning around 8.
Pilot picked us up at Noon and we flew to “fish camp” to pick up my buddy Will who had been having hot showers, home cooked meals (backstrap included) and sleeping in a warm bed.

We stayed in Kodiak that night and back to Anchorage the next day. We ran into other hunters (residents) who had flown to Kodiak with us both times and who had successfully hunted goats as well.

It was the experience of a lifetime for sure.

GEAR:
300PRC shooting 212gr Hornady factory loads
Leupold VX6-HD
Lathrop and Sons boots
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 top
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 bottom
Kuiu Attack pants
Sitka Ambient 1/4 zip midlayer
Kuiu Superdown LT hooded
Elk skin work gloves
Kuiu 210 gloves
Kuiu Yukon gators
Kuiu Chugach rain gear
Outdoorsmans pack with Long Range bag
Kuiu Super Down 15 degree bag
Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm
Phoenix Shooting Bags TBD (great pillow, great seat, great shooting bag)
Petzl Swift RL
Nice job, congratulations!

Congratulations on your first Kodiak hunt....it sure won't be your last I'm sure! Thank you for also journaling and writing up what happened. It is fun to read the ups and the downs that always come with hunting a new place especially Alaska.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
What an AMAZING adventure! Great write up and Awesome pictures. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

inkedspot

FNG
Amazing trip, very good write up. Congratulations. Hope to get there in a couple of years myself.

Antares

WKR
Congratulations! Looks like you had an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing.

I will pick one small bone with you though, if you'll indulge me.

It was a Hail Mary and while not irresponsible, it was a low probability shot.

"Hail Mary", low probability shots are irresponsible. Full stop.

Scoot

WKR
Congrats and well done! ...and, I agree with Antares! Regardless, mission accomplished and sounds like quite the adventure.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Looks like you had an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing.

I will pick one small bone with you though, if you'll indulge me.

"Hail Mary", low probability shots are irresponsible. Full stop.
Thank you!
I see where you are coming from and fully expected someone to pick up on that and you did not disappoint. I even vacillated on how to word it to avoid debate about long distance shots (long distance to me, in NM, may be short to you in AK). I intentionally didn't list the yardage on the shot for that reason.
I do not believe that low probability equates to irresponsible unless there is a chance to wound and lose an animal.
Are you familiar with the Monte Carlo simulation that many, including Bryan Litz uses? For example "low probability" at 700 yards with 5mph wind would actually be about 31%, I guarantee I was much closer than that with a higher percentage of odds, yet many would take a shot in those circumstances not understanding the exact odds!

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Great report! Congratulations on the hunt!
Thank you!
Nice ! Thank you for the write up .
My pleasure.
congrats and thanks for the great write up
Thank you
Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing.
Absolutely!
Thanks.
Congratulations on your first Kodiak hunt....it sure won't be your last I'm sure! Thank you for also journaling and writing up what happened. It is fun to read the ups and the downs that always come with hunting a new place especially Alaska.
Thank you and... Good Lord willing, it won't be my last, I'm working on the next one already!
What an AMAZING adventure! Great write up and Awesome pictures. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I took SO many pictures I'll be weeding through them for months... which is good because it'll give me time to wait on taxidermy!
Amazing trip, very good write up. Congratulations. Hope to get there in a couple of years myself.
Thank you. My advise is to do it as soon as you can, none of us are getting any younger.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job! Who aged your goat? The 8" goat looks a good bit older than 3.5.

Can you show a close up of the annuli?

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider

The guide aged him. I don't think I have an up close of that one, just of mine. I'll look for one. Here's mine...

Attachments

• IMG_5928.JPG
    IMG_5928.JPG
    617.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider

How's this? Will corrected me when he sent this - he said bases were 5 2/8" and length was 8 3/4"

Attachments

• 71807350467__DB523902-6604-4186-B9E8-CDDBC28055AD.jpg
    71807350467__DB523902-6604-4186-B9E8-CDDBC28055AD.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 45