2023 Haul Road Caribou Hunt

LCoult

FNG
My Father In law and I are headed up the haul road this coming august, and are in need of advice. Such as how is the weather at the end of august, and much of a clothing system do I need? We are planning on making the 5 mile hike to rifle hunt, but we are also taking our bows incase we see some bulls by the road. If anyone has any advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

AKBorn

WKR
Without offending you, may I inquire how old you father in law is? I am 61, and I wouldn't do the 5 mile hike in for rifle at this stage in my life. I've packed caribou 2 miles back to the airstrip on 2 different occasions (maybe even this coming fall), but 5 miles over the tussocks is a workout even for guys in their fitness prime.

Late August in the Brooks could range from 0 degrees to 50ish degrees, with hot sun or blowing snow.

If you see bulls from the road, you're likely to have a lot of company. Hiking out a ways from the road with your bow would lessen the traffic.

OP
L

LCoult

FNG
Without offending you, may I inquire how old you father in law is? I am 61, and I wouldn't do the 5 mile hike in for rifle at this stage in my life. I've packed caribou 2 miles back to the airstrip on 2 different occasions (maybe even this coming fall), but 5 miles over the tussocks is a workout even for guys in their fitness prime.

Late August in the Brooks could range from 0 degrees to 50ish degrees, with hot sun or blowing snow.

If you see bulls from the road, you're likely to have a lot of company. Hiking out a ways from the road with your bow would lessen the traffic.
He is 48 but is really active, does cross-fit and lifts weights consistently. But seems like the weather can be extremely unpredictable. Also would the first week of September be a better time than the 3rd-4th week of August?

Just go. There isn’t a better time than another, unless you’re set on a velvet bull or hard horns that aren’t bright white and bloody.

I was so caught up in trying to plan it all out my first trip up there only to realize it was pointless. Take clothes so you’re prepared for 0-60 degrees, drive up there, and get after it. The caribou will be wherever you find them.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Just have the right mind set for this trip. You really can not know where the caribou will be. They don't magically appear at the 5 mile mark. If killing a caribou is the highest priority a transporter of some kind is the best odds. I think taking a bow will increase your odds. My experience was from the North side of the Brooks Range to Dead Horse there where only a few caribou seen from the road for about a 6 mile section of the entire road. It is very hard to take off on that 5 mile march when you are not seeing any caribou. When you hear people describe how tough crossing the tundra can be listen. It will test everything you have including your mind. I personally walked over 200 miles and lost 35 pounds training for this trip. Let me say I am not sure there is any way to train in the lower 48 for the tundra. Those green monster will get you trust me. All that being said it was an experience I will always treasure.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Preparedness is the key as YellCo suggested.

Train by walking 10 miles every day or every other day on flat ground and avoid injuries all summer so your knees, tendons and feet can take the tussock dance but knows what 10 miles at a time feels like. Five miles on the tundra is a 10-mile turnaround at the very least. Expect 1 mile/hour walking at best over tundra.

Bring a Viking sled for dragging, don't try to do it on your back and battle tussocks too. Injury prone are those who don't head this advice.

Bring cash

DO NOT try to walk on top of tussocks...step between them. Bring gators for water holes and boggy tundra.

Late August plan on weather extremes from 50Fs to 20Fs or lower. Wind is heavy and cold. Sun light is bright and low on the horizon when not covered by clouds. Expect snow.

Bring a spare tire.

Just a few thoughts

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Be prepared for "possible" choking smoke from forest/tundra fires close or even a hundred plus miles away. In my experience smoke can end a Brooks Range faster and with higher probability then yucky weather in August/September period. You simply can't hunt, because you can't see or breath (your eyes and lungs burn). Not a for sure event, but worth having a plan "B" alternate hunt location.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
We did not have a problem with flats. The uhaul truck was new less than 2000 miles when we picked it up. I am sure age and condition of tires comes into play. I did not think the roads were that bad. Problem is if you do have tire failure it is on you. Long drive to the nearest tire shop. We took a plug set and small air compressor to be safe.

10 spare tires, 100 gallons of gas, tire chains, bug spray, one cord of fire wood, freezer with generator for meat, hip boots and chest waders, raft, canoe, extra paddles, two tents, 20 degree and -40 degree sleeping bags, commercial grade floor jack, air compressor, impact wrench, three Yeti coolers, and a Partridge in a pear tree.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
10 spare tires, 100 gallons of gas, tire chains, bug spray, one cord of fire wood, freezer with generator for meat, hip boots and chest waders, raft, canoe, extra paddles, two tents, 20 degree and -40 degree sleeping bags, commercial grade floor jack, air compressor, impact wrench, three Yeti coolers, and a Partridge in a pear tree.
I'm going to have to come along with you next time just to learn how to organize a pile that size.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

JBWinter

FNG
Myself and two buddies are looking to make this trip for the first time this year. We have done a lot of other back country hunts in the lower 48, but I get that this is a whole other ballgame. I have read a lot on this forum and others and am trying to piece together a plan. I get that tundra walking is not for the faint of heart. I also understand that it falls a little bit in the mind set. Understand the slow rate of travel and the difficulty walking and just be diligent in that if you are set on going 5 miles out. Archery hunting is what we are mostly focused on but thought we may bring the rifles as a potential backup plan. Looking to go east very far you need a raft in general it seems, but that isnt always feasible and or necessary. As for going west of the road, are caribou as likely on either side of the road? Going west certainly seems easier logistically. We generally like to get some distance from other hunters and are considering spiking in a couple miles and maybe finding less competition or is that generally crazy talk.? The other thing that I have questions on is the timing of things. We have about 10 days to be on the road itself I think with travel to and from in addition to that. We are considering the 2nd of september to the 12th. I get that weather is variable and could be better that time frame than some time in August, just depends on the year. As for the caribou, can that be too late, do the animals travel past or through or is it one of those things, where any window is as likely to succeed as any other? Is there any reasons that time frame should be avoided? I have seen a lot of talk about the last 2 weeks of August, but not much justifying the why on that. At any rate, I am new here and appreciate any and all info that folks are willing to share. I am in central South Dakota and spend a lot of time in Wyoming and Idaho as well, and am happy to talk with folks about those experiences or whatever useful information I can provide.

Also planning on making the 5 mile hike with my dad and 2 other buddies for the first time. We are going late august.

A classmate and I will be working in a clinic in Fairbanks from July 24 - August 18. Then we have a couple guys flying in from Wyoming to hunt the Haul Road from Aug 19-26. Our plans are pretty flexible with archery, rifle and camp. Got a truck from Go North. Appreciate all the wisdom shared here over the years. We will share anything valuable we learn while in Fairbanks.

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved
Myself and two buddies are looking to make this trip for the first time this year. We have done a lot of other back country hunts in the lower 48, but I get that this is a whole other ballgame. I have read a lot on this forum and others and am trying to piece together a plan. I get that tundra walking is not for the faint of heart. I also understand that it falls a little bit in the mind set. Understand the slow rate of travel and the difficulty walking and just be diligent in that if you are set on going 5 miles out. Archery hunting is what we are mostly focused on but thought we may bring the rifles as a potential backup plan. Looking to go east very far you need a raft in general it seems, but that isnt always feasible and or necessary. As for going west of the road, are caribou as likely on either side of the road? Going west certainly seems easier logistically. We generally like to get some distance from other hunters and are considering spiking in a couple miles and maybe finding less competition or is that generally crazy talk.? The other thing that I have questions on is the timing of things. We have about 10 days to be on the road itself I think with travel to and from in addition to that. We are considering the 2nd of september to the 12th. I get that weather is variable and could be better that time frame than some time in August, just depends on the year. As for the caribou, can that be too late, do the animals travel past or through or is it one of those things, where any window is as likely to succeed as any other? Is there any reasons that time frame should be avoided? I have seen a lot of talk about the last 2 weeks of August, but not much justifying the why on that. At any rate, I am new here and appreciate any and all info that folks are willing to share. I am in central South Dakota and spend a lot of time in Wyoming and Idaho as well, and am happy to talk with folks about those experiences or whatever useful information I can provide.
I've been archery hunting the haul road for the last couple of years and have been successful in both years.

• I go up there for a week in the first half of August.
  • I've experienced 60f sunny weather down to 20f and snow at that time of year, and so far, the bugs haven't been nasty.
  • I've had my license and tags checked once by the feds.
  • Most of the caribou I've seen killed were east of the road.
  • We car camped on pull-outs by the road and just day hunted off the road.
  • The tundra is bad but not super bad, and a typical day hunting for me up there is about 6 miles.
  • Be ready to belly crawl a lot. There's minimal cover and trust the camo.
  • Try to position yourself on a migration path and be patient
It's beautiful up there, and I highly recommend it to experience the emptiness
IMG_1016.jpeg