2023 M2 / Montefeltro / Affinity

sndmn11

WKR
I'm interested to hear your thoughts, experiences, and opinions.

I've done a lot of searching and reading here and elsewhere the last week. My goal is to understand what is different between a Monte and M2 for 2023. I do understand that the stocks are different, the bolt color is different, and the M2 has a raised rib. Is there anything else?

I'd read about 2023 changes to these, but thoughts seem to be mixed. I can't decipher if there was an "improvement" to the bolt, and I think I read something about a second control button to UNLOAD the magazine rather than chamber to fully unload.

I am interested in 24" 20gauge versions for Colorado upland: grouse, I know where ptarmigan are, doves (I think eurasians are year round), sharp tail, quail and pheasants out of state. Weight is a driving factor, and I like the handiness of short firearms. I do have a 12ga/28" 870 express, and a youth 20ga 870 express.

I can find M2 and Monte for a close enough price ($1100ish) to each other that it is irrelevant. I bring the Affinity into the mix because there's a used 20ga/26" cerakote version here, and some friends like theirs. I understand they may be functionally similar to the Benelli, with the recoil springs being in different spots, but I don't know what one is not getting with one vs Benelli. I don't buy "they are the same", but I do buy that they may be designed similarly and materials or tolerances might be different.

I'd originally thought a sub 6lb OU would be the ticket, and it still might be, but it seems I can get better regarded firearms in semi-auto much lower in price than OUs.

I've also considered a do-all type OU with something from Browning (cynergy wicked wing/ultimate turkey) but then I know I'd wonder about weight.

So, spill out any thoughts you have on the matter, I'd love to hear them.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I know this isn't on topic, but you might look for a used Beretta onyx o/u or a F.a.i.r. slx o/u. Over/unders are my jam for upland birds, don't leave behind hulls.

I think you nailed the difference between the montefeltro and m2.

Go shoulder (shoot, if you can) all 3 of them and buy the one you like. All 3 are nice guns. All 3 will have some good and bad reviews. All 3 will have some lemons.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I know this isn't on topic, but you might look for a used Beretta onyx o/u or a F.a.i.r. slx o/u. Over/unders are my jam for upland birds, don't leave behind hulls.

I think you nailed the difference between the montefeltro and m2.
I did get a used Franchi Instinct L on here and hunted with it a little this fall. It made me realize that my 870 is heavy and I like shorts guns. I Had this thought to get a lifetime purchase lightweight 20ga OU since it would be much easier to handle the dog and the gun. So, I sold the Instinct and started thinking about 725 Feathers and Superlights, I've looked at the 828u a bunch, and the Instinct SL. That's when I started thinking that spending $2500+ on a lightweight upland OU might be better utilized on a LW semi and a waterfowl or 12ga in in the future. I think I would only be "missing" the ease of handling with the dog of an OU.

Go shoulder (shoot, if you can) all 3 of them and buy the one you like. All 3 are nice guns. All 3 will have some good and bad reviews. All 3 will have some lemons.
I do plan to handle Browning, Benelli/Beretta, and Weatherby at WHCE. I have shouldered these semis and they all seem close enough to me, and I understand one can move them a little bit with the shims.

There's a fair chance that I would duracoat whatever I get, unless it's the cerakote Affinity on here, so I don't really care about the finish or if it is wood/synthetic.

I also don't understand the purpose of a raised rib or flat one, and the M2 honestly looks like it is set at an incline rather than parallel with the bore.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Own a 26” franchi affinity 20 ga, it is fantastic for price point, 5ish lbs gun, the other two you mentioned are great as well, was looking an M2 for a while but no need for another shotgun right now.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Own a 26” franchi affinity 20 ga, it is fantastic for price point, 5ish lbs gun, the other two you mentioned are great as well, was looking an M2 for a while but no need for another shotgun right now.
Can I take it to the gun club?

WCB

WKR
IMO working in the industry and having shot all of them. It really comes down to fit and which one you shoot the best. Between the M2 and Monte difference is rib, slight profile and finish options. All are great guns that 99/100 or more times a guy will not have any issues with. I personally would get the Franchi and save money and IMO are giving nothing up in performance or reliability. Not sure really what a guy gets with any one gun vs another when they are reliable and fit properly. Its a shotgun and for the most part guys overthink them like anything else.

As far as O/U look at the Stevens 555s...we own a couple 20s and a .410 FIL owns a 20 and 28. Cases and cases of ammo between them zero issues and we hunt hard with them. Over 2lbs lighter than the Browning. Guns are well finished and point really well for almost anyone I know that has checked ours out and who shoots them. They go bang when you pull the trigger.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
Not new for this year, but the monte holds one more round in the tube than m2. That was a consideration for some of my high desert hunts. The bolt in the m2 and monte was supposed to get an update to the same one the ethos uses, however, according to some industry folks, the m2 did not get it. I think the new monte did get the bolt update though.

I can't speak to the difference between the Monte and the M2 but I would definitely recommend holding the Franchi and the Benelli. I much prefer the balance and feel of the Franchi with the recoil spring in the forearm. I know some people feel the opposite so it's a personal thing. I have always loved the look of the Montes though.

I don't know definitively the difference in materials and tolerances between the Benelli and Franchi but they are made in the same factory and many of the parts are interchangeable. It wouldn't make sense for them to have separate machines set up with lower tolerances or use different materials for the parts for the Franchi.

Long Cut

WKR
I bought a 28” 12GA Affinity when Franchi first released them. The gun now has a camo stock & forearm but still functions flawlessly. From Dove, Ducks, Turkey to skeet shooting it’s been my favorite inertia gun I own.
The Franchi fit me a lot better than any Benelli or Beretta. That’s the most important thing.
IMG_3195.jpeg

I'd originally thought a sub 6lb OU would be the ticket, and it still might be, but it seems I can get better regarded firearms in semi-auto much lower in price than OUs.

So, spill out any thoughts you have on the matter, I'd love to hear them.

There for a while I was hunting a lot of quail/grouse without a dog and went from a pump to a O/U and right back to a pump. My biggest complaint about an O/U was that I couldnt top the gun off while keeping the gun ready to go.

Kinda surprised me that that bugged me as much as it did.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have and M2 and Montifeltro as my two main shotguns. They both seem to fit fine, but the M2 throws the pattern about 80 to_90 % above center while the Montifeltro centers the pattern.

ianpadron

WKR
I can't speak to the difference between the Monte and the M2 but I would definitely recommend holding the Franchi and the Benelli. I much prefer the balance and feel of the Franchi with the recoil spring in the forearm. I know some people feel the opposite so it's a personal thing. I have always loved the look of the Montes though.

I don't know definitively the difference in materials and tolerances between the Benelli and Franchi but they are made in the same factory and many of the parts are interchangeable. It wouldn't make sense for them to have separate machines set up with lower tolerances or use different materials for the parts for the Franchi.
Great advice and I agree 100%. Love my 26" Affinity for that exact reason

Idk what the regs in CO are but if you can only rock 3 shells, pony up for a Benelli UltraLight...freakin awesome guns, I traded my old Monte for one and have zero regrets.

Last edited:
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have and M2 and Montifeltro as my two main shotguns. They both seem to fit fine, but the M2 throws the pattern about 80 to_90 % above center while the Montifeltro centers the pattern.
Do you think that is because of the raised rib pushing your eye-line or something inherent with the barrel itself?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
There for a while I was hunting a lot of quail/grouse without a dog and went from a pump to a O/U and right back to a pump. My biggest complaint about an O/U was that I couldnt top the gun off while keeping the gun ready to go.

Kinda surprised me that that bugged me as much as it did.
Did that angst come about with quail a lot more than grouse?

The impetus to this is a desire to hunt more, and even between my tags, @KickinNDishin 's tags, my stepdad, and my brother, I still found myself hoping someone would text me to pack out meet or sit behind my spotter. I went to JUCO in Colby, KS and we hunted roosters a lot, but I haven't since. We had ambitions to fly fish in different states every other weekend before our son was born, and now we think bird hunting behind this mutt-pup would be a fun way to hunt many states without paying for big game tags.

That's a long way of saying, I don't know that I would want to shoot at a bird that the dog doesn't point. The excitement for me is doing the team thing. I did go out a few weeks ago to KS with @Ucsdryder and some other friends with dogs, and one pointed a covey of quail right next to me. A dozen flushed, and then 30s more some more, and then the same again. I can see wanting a lot of shots lined up in that scenario, for the blue grouse I envision in elk country CO, I think I'd be lucky to two bang.

The affinity fit me better and i liked the feel better than the benelli
If it fits you I don't think the Franchi Affinity can be beat for the money. I'd pick my Franchi 26" 20ga over anything.
I agree that "fit" is paramount. My fear with the gun store fit check is what @Sanchez describes with his M2. Hopefully I can get out with @Hnthrdr 's Affinity before the one on here is sold.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Did that angst come about with quail a lot more than grouse?

The impetus to this is a desire to hunt more, and even between my tags, @KickinNDishin 's tags, my stepdad, and my brother, I still found myself hoping someone would text me to pack out meet or sit behind my spotter. I went to JUCO in Colby, KS and we hunted roosters a lot, but I haven't since. We had ambitions to fly fish in different states every other weekend before our son was born, and now we think bird hunting behind this mutt-pup would be a fun way to hunt many states without paying for big game tags.

That's a long way of saying, I don't know that I would want to shoot at a bird that the dog doesn't point. The excitement for me is doing the team thing. I did go out a few weeks ago to KS with @Ucsdryder and some other friends with dogs, and one pointed a covey of quail right next to me. A dozen flushed, and then 30s more some more, and then the same again. I can see wanting a lot of shots lined up in that scenario, for the blue grouse I envision in elk country CO, I think I'd be lucky to two bang.

I agree that "fit" is paramount. My fear with the gun store fit check is what @Sanchez describes with his M2. Hopefully I can get out with @Hnthrdr 's Affinity before the one on here is sold.
I’ll drop you a line