2024 AK Moose Prep

Thought it would be cool to start a thread of 2024 moose hunt prep for others to chime in and possibly help some new guys that are going in their first moose hunt.

The “Next Trip” is always on my mind but around this time things start getting real. Just over 6 months away and the time is flying by.

I started organizing and portioning out my food this evening that’ll go in gallon ziplock bags once I collect everything. 1 bag per day plus some stovetop and instant mashed potatoes to hopefully go with some moose tenderloin if/when we’re successful.

Also started making a to-do list of all the small things I need to gather and am going to start physical training here next week.

I have my Gear List pretty well nailed down and tweaked from previous trips with a couple things added and a couple things taken off the list. I’ve upgraded sleeping bags and am adding a designated camp pillow instead of using a dry bag stuffed with clothes.

One of my favorite quotes about Alaska…

“They all say once in a lifetime until they make it up there once, then they spend a lifetime going back”

IMG_6066.jpeg

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
Good on you starting down the path of getting prepped...your experience up here is showing! It's quite a process for sure when doing a fly-in drop hunt.

Similarly, I'm not a last minute guy. I'm in my very early stage of the process...I have all my meals set because last minute planning on that can limit available options up here (all Peak and Mountain House meals for me...I've got my favorites). I also have already made sure that I have a couple of extra filters for my water filtration system (Katadyn, gravity)...that's never last minute for me.

So many more stages and things to do, but I welcome the process...it's all part of the experience (and fun) for me. I never want it to be a last minute panic process when prepping for a wonderful hunt like this.

I'm very thankful that my son and I will be back out there for ten-days this September.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Following, and started picking up items for my 2025 AK Moose hunt at the Expo this last weekend. First purchase - a pair of Hoffman boots 8”. I’m a big believer in their waterproofing, durability, and comfort.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
No pilot bread, smoke fish or canned corned beef hash? What kinda moose camp you running?😁

Good on you for getting ready so early. Shows how much you're looking forward to your trip and planning is one of the biggest parts of an AK adventure.

I only went to Alaska one time...

You gotta pump up them Haribo numbers my man!

Was just on the phone with my good friend and pilot today scheming. Headed out early April for a wolf hunt/moose shed mission if the snow holds long enough. Taking my wife and her friend for moose this year so mostly lining them out in a few gear items. They’re both pretty excited so it’s been fun. Ordered a few years worth of freeze dry during Black Friday sales. Other than some other food we prep a few weeks before and freeze, we’re pretty dialed in and ready I’d say!

We’ve been doing several dry cabin camping trips this winter. Wife tested out a new sleeping pad and bag. Each trip we bring a new freeze dry flavor someone has left at the house to try. This weekend was Peak Stroganoff. They would have to forget about me on the tundra for a couple weeks before I put a spoon in that bag again…..
IMG_7916.jpeg

OP
Robinhood21
So many more stages and things to do, but I welcome the process...it's all part of the experience (and fun) for me. I never want it to be a last minute panic process when prepping for a wonderful hunt like this.

I'm very thankful that my son and I will be back out there for ten-days this September.

Same for me Doc. The process is becoming such an enjoyable part of the hunt. Early prep, for me, adds to the confidence level which I think is key. Happy to hear you're making another adventure with your son. Should be epic to say the least!

OP
Robinhood21
No pilot bread, smoke fish or canned corned beef hash? What kinda moose camp you running?😁

Good on you for getting ready so early. Shows how much you're looking forward to your trip and planning is one of the biggest parts of an AK adventure.

I only went to Alaska one time...
HA! Smoked fish does sound like it would be a treat out there. My cousin and I try to be as minimal as possible without suffering too much. The first year up there we flew in a cub so weight was a big factor. I think that was a good thing as it forced me to be minimal with our gear. The next year we flew in a 206 so we added a few more luxury items. This year we will be flying in a beaver so we could get away with a heated tent, coleman stove and lots of extras but we like to keep it somewhat light. ;)

OP
Robinhood21
You gotta pump up them Haribo numbers my man!

The Haribos are money!

Taking my wife and her friend for moose this year so mostly lining them out in a few gear items. They’re both pretty excited so it’s been fun.

That'll be a good time!

This weekend was Peak Stroganoff. They would have to forget about me on the tundra for a couple weeks before I put a spoon in that bag again…..
That's funny... the Peak Stroganoff is one of my favorites

Airplane neck pillows work very well. Plenty compact and lightweight for moose camp. Inflatable pillows are too flat for me and not comfortable. Couldn’t find a small pillow that was high enough or wouldn’t compress down to flat. Neck pillow fits the puzzle!

A tip: Moose gutting. A lot of people take a saw and split the brisket bone right up the middle in order to get the upper vitals out of the moose. My pops showed me when I was a kid how to take a Wyoming saw (or even a serrated cutco knife in a pinch at the cartilage joints) and start at the head end of those rib joints and cut through them down towards the gut-end on both sides of the brisket and remove that entire giant chunk of bone. Once you do there is a ton of space to cut the esophagus high in the neck and pull all the guts out. No dealing with sharp brisket bone trying to close back up on you as you are removing the upper vitals. I just thought this was the way it was done, but over the years I have shown this to a bunch of buddies on their moose and they are believers now.

AKDoc

WKR
^^^helpful suggestion

When it comes to field butchering a moose, I became a gutless guy many moose ago...I always pull the liver and heart at the very end after quarters and all meat has been removed and bagged.

Edit: Hmmm...that didn't sound quite right...reworded, I use the "gutless method" :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

WMR

FNG
I’ve gotta buy new waders this year. Older Cabelas pair got me wet last fall. My wading boots will probably last forever. I’m looking at a pack raft, which could come in very handy. Also was intrigued by the new floorless hot tent from the Arctic Oven folks, but decided to stick with the tipi that’s worked before.

I sold all my bigger rifles, thinking a 30-06 would always be fine. It might be, but it didn’t feel that way last time. Bears love me much more than I love them. I’m probably going a bit bigger this time.

As far as food, I’m starting to stock up but most will be bought closer to the fall. Gotta watch expiration dates on much of it. Mountain House meals last about forever, but we mostly eat other stuff. I guess I could buy the Spam singles now. They also last near forever. I’m not sure they’re even biodegradable. 😳

One other tip for those who take hot tents. If you’ve got extra plane capacity, consider a few of the commercial pressed wood firewood bricks or logs. They’ll burn much longer than the dry willow you’ll find there. Experiment with different sizes in your stove before you go. And avoid the chemical fire logs like the plague. Trust me on that one.

WMR

FNG
Oh yea, I also note those dumbbells in Robinhood’s photo. Exercise and conditioning are ongoing. I’ll pack a bunch of stuff, but the extra 10lb of body fat I DON’T pack will probably be more important.

nick2021

FNG
Great to see your post, I am in the same boat----already planning/packing for my next hunt this September. Did a fly-in last year on my first moose hunt for nine days....and am going out for 14 days this second time around....learned a LOT last season on my first hunt. Trying to decide if I am going to upgrade from a Peak tipi to a Seek tipi---one that allows me to stand up a bit easier....small things like that seem to make a long hunt "tolerable" for extended periods of time. Also, glad I forked over the money for a lightweight stove....that investment was one of the best things I could have ever made.....

Versydus

WKR
It's planning season! Rolling with a solid hunting buddy for early Sept. Trying to fit, well we are going to, fit this hunt in between harvest and fall work. Current dilemma is which tent to bring on a diy moose float. River system is on the smaller side of things, probably doing some float dragging in spots.

2 different teepee options. 8 man massive thing or go with the much smaller Peax setup. Both will be hot tents, just have a larger stove for the 8 person setup.

Question is if there is realistically enough room on the river banks, gravel bars to setup that large of a tent? Or do you just need to be strategic in camp selection with a lot of pre scouting.

Other than that, flights are booked. Guns sighted in. Switched to penzoil for my trucks so I've got a nice selection of yellow 1 gal moose calls. Just gotta name the raft.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk