22 Hornet for Deer

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
This is, of course, a natural progression from the 223 thread, given the 223/77 is demonstrably able to cleanly take large ungulates, but I'm interested in specific bullet info for smaller bullets and smaller game. If one were to use a 22 Hornet for deer, what would a 50-55 gr varmint type bullet (eg V-max), impacting at 1600-2200 fps, do in a deer's chest? Shoulder blade or leg bone?

Is there a better bullet choice for Hornet-level deer hunting? 55 gr SP?

Thanks,

Pete

OP
P

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Read that one, and it's informative, but doesn't really get into the bullet specifics I was asking about. Thanks.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve always said if a 223 can kill elk at 700 yards, the 22 Hornet should do it at 300, if it has enough twist to shoot a 77 gr TMK. Lol

I don’t know why lighter hornet bullets can’t kill deer.

Usually I get booed off the stage, because that’s crazy talk. I just about have all the parts to add a fast twist 22 hornet barrel to a rifle - there are gunsmiths that have done this, but so far I haven’t seen anyone post velocities. Usually it’s less hassle to simply use a wildcat made from a cut down 223 case with the Hornet’s case capacity, but I’d like an old school Hornet case.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
No, no 22 hornet grain of any sort for deer. Why are we swinging so far? It used to be mega-magnums and now we are falling into mini-non-magnums. Why? Recoil? Challenge? Contrarian behavior? Meat waste?

Why would we decrease range and effective kill zone SO much?

OP
P

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
No, no 22 hornet grain of any sort for deer. Why are we swinging so far? It used to be mega-magnums and now we are falling into mini-non-magnums. Why? Recoil? Challenge? Contrarian behavior? Meat waste?

Why would we decrease range and effective kill zone SO much?
I understand why this is your gut reaction. However, what specific data is this reaction based on?

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I understand why this is your gut reaction. However, what specific data is this reaction based on?

Cross sectional circumference, cross sectional density, momentum, and kinetic energy numbers are too low. It’s a tiny bullet for the application, flying relatively slow with little energy. It doesn’t even fly very flat. I love the cartridge for gophers and such. I have used it. It’s an okay coyote cartridge as long as you keep the range under 200.

My uncles first deer rifle was a .22 hornet. I’m not sure what bullet grandpa hand loaded in it but they killed quite a few blacktails with it. Kept within the parameters of velocity for a bullet to perform it’ll work just as well as any other .22 centerfire.

Cross sectional circumference, cross sectional density, momentum, and kinetic energy numbers are too low. It’s a tiny bullet for the application, flying relatively slow with little energy. It doesn’t even fly very flat. I love the cartridge for gophers and such. I have used it. It’s an okay coyote cartridge as long as you keep the range under 200.
You lost all validity when you brought kinetic energy into the chat.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Why did I say circumference…? Sheesh, I’m a math teacher. Diameter. It doesn’t have any advantages. It’s not high velocity like a 22-250.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Kinetic energy doesn’t matter? It’s part of a long formula. So many variables. I’m not saying it won’t kill. It decreases your range. It decreases your kill zone.

If you want to shoot deer with a tiny bullet going relatively slow it is your choice. Compare the stats of it to just the 22-250 and see for yourself.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
You lost all validity when you brought kinetic energy into the chat.

You lost all validity with “grandpa data.” Well, when I was a kid we killed dem Deere with BB guns. We’d shoot ‘em in der eyeballs and follow the ocular nerve to the prefrontal cortex!

OP
P

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
You lost all validity with “grandpa data.” Well, when I was a kid we killed dem Deere with BB guns. We’d shoot ‘em in der eyeballs and follow the ocular nerve to the prefrontal cortex!
What Timberline is saying is that you need to read the 223 thread, and prepare to have your eyes opened. KE is basically irrelevant; wound channel is everything. A 338 with a FMJ has all the numerical measurements that you cite are lacking in the Hornet, yet you realize that would be unethical to use on a deer. However, if the Hornet can penetrate ~10", doing 2" diameter in damage, then it would be more than enough for a deer.

My question is, can the Hornet do that (I think it can), and if so, which bullet will do that the best?

there’s not even an argument to be had here. People have been killing whitetails back east with a .22 hornet for decades. No ones saying it’s the best deer round ever to be had. It’s not. But itll definitely kill deer with behind the shoulder shots and with modern bullets it could be even better. A .22 hornet can push a 52 gr eldm 2400 fps pretty easily and that’ll give it the velocity to perform out to 150 yards and I have yet to see an ELDM that doesn’t perform well.

Last edited:
What Timberline is saying is that you need to read the 223 thread, and prepare to have your eyes opened. KE is basically irrelevant; wound channel is everything. A 338 with a FMJ has all the numerical measurements that you cite are lacking in the Hornet, yet you realize that would be unethical to use on a deer. However, if the Hornet can penetrate ~10", doing 2" diameter in damage, then it would be more than enough for a deer.

My question is, can the Hornet do that (I think it can), and if so, which bullet will do that the best?
I would probably try the 53 gr VMAX. We use the 87 gr VMAX at 2500 FPS in our 6mm-223 and it’s been amazing on deer and antelope. I’m sure under 200 yards the 53 at 2400 would be great as well.

OP
P

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably try the 53 gr VMAX. We use the 87 gr VMAX at 2500 FPS in our 6mm-223 and it’s been amazing on deer and antelope. I’m sure under 200 yards the 53 at 2400 would be great as well.
Very helpful; thank you.

This was the damage after a 120 yard front shoulder shot on a doe in South Dakota with the 87 VMAX @2300 impact velocity. I found the remains of the bullet in the off shoulder. She dropped in her tracks. IMG_5957.jpeg