22 Hornet for Deer

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not enough kinetic energy or bullet diameter there. 😁

Can I see that front quarter? No offense, but as you know shooting a tiny doe with an explosive round is different than a quartering away or toward uphill shot on a mature buck at 200 yards.

TomJoad

WKR
My summer project is to find a .22 Hornet barrel for my Blaser K95. Maybe my fall project should be shooting a deer with it.
I’ve got one for the k95 that I love. 22cal isn’t legal on deer in CO, but is sure is fun to shoot.

I see no one mentioning components. Brass has been a nightmare to get ahold of. Finally found a couple hundred rounds of RWS which I’m reloading but it was tough to come by!

I’ve got one for the k95 that I love. 22cal isn’t legal on deer in CO, but is sure is fun to shoot.

I see no one mentioning components. Brass has been a nightmare to get ahold of. Finally found a couple hundred rounds of RWS which I’m reloading but it was tough to come by!

Its all over gunbroker

Can I see that front quarter? No offense, but as you know shooting a tiny doe with an explosive round is different than a quartering away or toward uphill shot on a mature buck at 200 yards.
She shot a whitetail buck in SD the same year and a mature antelope buck with it in 2022. The buck was a misplaced neck shot at 130 yards and the antelope was a quartering away high shoulder shot. Both dropped in their tracks.“Explosive” bullets are killing bullet in small caliber rifles at low velocities. I’d advise you read the .223 and 6mm threads. There’s a lot to learn.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, there’s nothing alive in North America that’s surviving that wound pictured.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
She shot a whitetail buck in SD the same year and a mature antelope buck with it in 2022. The buck was a misplaced neck shot at 130 yards and the antelope was a quartering away high shoulder shot. Both dropped in their tracks.“Explosive” bullets are killing bullet in small caliber rifles at low velocities. I’d advise you read the .223 and 6mm threads. There’s a lot to learn.

I will read. Misplaced neck shot and quartering away high shoulder and they dropped. It sounds like disturbance to the central nervous system (spine). Were they dead, or paralyzed? What happened post first shot?

Last edited:
I will read. Misplaced neck shot and quartering away high shoulder and they dropped. It sounds like disturbance to the central nervous system (spine). We’re they dead, or paralyzed? What happened post first shot?
They died instantly like every other deer shot with a good bullet in those two spots. What are you fishing for?

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
They died instantly like every other deer shot with a good bullet in those two spots. What are you fishing for?

I love quality bullets. I’m a Hammer guy. V-max for deer? What does V stand for? I love them in my 17!

I love quality bullets. I’m a Hammer guy. V-max for deer? What does V stand for? I love them in my 17!
At low velocities in small calibers VMAX perform great on deer. All my larger rifles only see match bullets. I’m sure I already know your opinion on that from the sound of things.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
At low velocities in small calibers VMAX perform great on deer. All my larger rifles only see match bullets. I’m sure I already know your opinion on that from the sound of things.

Tell me more. What do I think?

I should ask more. Where do you hunt?

I primarily hunt Central Washington scablands, Central Montana sage brush steppe and South West Montana sun alpine. Last years bucks were at 42 yards off hand in cliff bands and 264 prone sneaking through ponderosa mixed forest. The first buck could have been killed with my 17, but the second required super flat and accurate through a gap in the trees. I felt confident with the ol’ 6.5 man bun on both , and they were dead in their tracks. I don’t know if a hornet could have done it.

Tell me more. What do I think?

I should ask more. Where do you hunt?

I primarily hunt Central Washington scablands, Central Montana sage brush steppe and South West Montana sun alpine. Last years bucks were at 42 yards off hand in cliff bands and 264 prone sneaking through ponderosa mixed forest. The first buck could have been killed with my 17, but the second required super flat and accurate through a gap in the trees. I felt confident with the ol’ 6.5 man bun on both , and they were dead in their tracks. I don’t know if a hornet could have done it.
I wouldn’t use a 22 hornet in any of those situations. Not to mention it’s not legal in Washington. But in states it’s legal it’s great for kids. I have my grandfathers and my kids will use it eventually when they’re old enough. We hunt all over the west and mid west wherever we draw tags.