223 Crimping and Cannelure for ARs

Any strong opinions on crimping or cannelure on 223 bullets?

I've never crimped and only have cannelure on a big bag of 55 gr soft points for plinking. Never took the time to see if there's a difference (any big differences I've noticed are far more obvious with bullet selection and powder). Thanks -

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't load for my .223/5.56's anymore, but when I did I always crimped them. And I always crimp my 6.8 SPC hand loads as well. But most all of those are Barnes bullets that crimp easily.

OP
menhaden_man
I don't load for my .223/5.56's anymore, but when I did I always crimped them. And I always crimp my 6.8 SPC hand loads as well. But most all of those are Barnes bullets that crimp easily.

What was the main reason you crimped for?

FLS

WKR
I load the cannelured 77 SMK s over TAC at close to max 556 pressure in my competition AR. I put a very light crimp on them. In testing a light crimp actually gave me better accuracy with lower ES and SDs with TAC

OP
menhaden_man
I load the cannelured 77 SMK s over TAC at close to max 556 pressure in my competition AR. I put a very light crimp on them. In testing a light crimp actually gave me better accuracy with lower ES and SDs with TAC

Great feedback, appreciate the suggestion. I’m playing around with a few different bullets over CFE and also H335... mostly 2.200” or 2.250” - once I get dialed in a little I’ll give a light crimp a shot. So far (20” 1:7 stainless bbl Wylde) the 69 gr TMK has been the best.

Range is closed to recreational shooting so I’ll be stuck to the back yard (50 yd range) and reloading bench for now.

FLS

WKR
I’ve loaded a bunch of Hornady 55 FMJs over H335. The Hornady were the most accurate ”bulk” bullets I’ve tried. I was loading for 3 gun and +/- MOA was accurate enough. I crimped them as well.

OP
menhaden_man
Some say you get better accuracy, but I just didn't want to take a chance of bullets getting pushed back in the magazines. I generally load hot and a pushed back bullet could get dangerously hot with the added pressure. The same reason I always crimped my .44 mag loads.

Hadn't thought about that issue... I'm finding that one of my guns shoots better with faster rounds so could imagine that being a risk. I blew a couple primers for the first time the other day, caught me off guard and made a damn mess of the BCG. My uncle (in his 80s) is a big IMR4198 guy and gave me a half pound or so... I tried a few rounds loading up to max and convinced myself it's not for me (doesn't meter well). That H335 and CFE 223 is pretty slick, meters well, and seems to handle a range of bullets pretty nicely.

I'll probably start doing a light crimp just on this advice - a fine suggestion.