.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Let’s get this baby back on track… so I have the ruger predator 223 and it’s a fine rifle. Really considering the tikka as well. Am I missing on much by not having the tikka ? Academy has the blued barrel in stock right now. Prefer the stainless tho! I just sold my Bergara b14 6.5 last night due to it being too heavy for my liking.
63d6cb27bfb7f9e4f633d5738fe6cfa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else that caught my attention this week was a Winchester xpr 223! Pretty nice rifle in my opinion

Let’s get this baby back on track… so I have the ruger predator 223 and it’s a fine rifle. Really considering the tikka as well. Am I missing on much by not having the tikka ? Academy has the blued barrel in stock right now. Prefer the stainless tho! I just sold my Bergara b14 6.5 last night due to it being too heavy for my liking.

I own one, it’s a great rifle at its price point, but tikkas fit and finish is much nicer, which is why I got a tikka in .223 as well, I may have a problem haha

I own one, it’s a great rifle at its price point, but tikkas fit and finish is much nicer, which is why I got a tikka in .223 as well, I may have a problem haha

Haha the money from the Bergara sale is already burning a hole in my pocket. My ruger is plenty accurate and my can just got approved so maybe I’ll just keep rolling with it. I held a tikka 270 this week and was like my oh my it’s nice !

I’ve got the Ranch version with a 16” barrel and have shot it a bunch. I like mine. Not a Tikka, but very serviceable.

I’ve got the Ranch version with a 16” barrel and have shot it a bunch. I like mine. Not a Tikka, but very serviceable.
I have the predator, I wish I had a shorter barrel, which is why I’m thinking of chopping the tikka from 20 down to 18 or 16 but leaning 16

I have the predator, I wish I had a shorter barrel, which is why I’m thinking of chopping the tikka from 20 down to 18 or 16 but leaning 16

I’ve got several ARs. 16,18, and 20” so I’ve got those bases covered. I forgot the tikka isn’t threaded huh. Are you wanting shorter for a can? I hunt big ag fields so a 400 yard shot isn’t out of the question so I like the 22” for this reasons. I did harvest a doe at 410 yards this year with the 20” AR and 77 tmk. It absolutely pile drived her

I’ve got several ARs. 16,18, and 20” so I’ve got those bases covered. I forgot the tikka isn’t threaded huh. Are you wanting shorter for a can? I hunt big ag fields so a 400 yard shot isn’t out of the question so I like the 22” for this reasons. I did harvest a doe at 410 yards this year with the 20” AR and 77 tmk. It absolutely pile drived her

Yeah I want it shorter for a can, and it will probably be my daughters hunting rifle for antelope or whitetails if we go to wyo, mt or Az. For me it will be my go to predator rig and practice rifle since Co says no shooting big game with a .223

My kids really like shooting the 16-20” ARs with the adjustable LOP on the stock. I ordered the youth ruger stock but it’s still a tad big for 8 & 9 year olds.

With the Tikka I’d go short. Mag length will be your friend with it. I don’t know if the Predator uses the AR mags or not, (I think it does) but in my RAR that’s a real limitation for me. OAL at 2.26 makes for a very full case. IMO of course.

If you have a Ruger that functions as designed, celebrate!

What could the Tikka do for you that the Ruger doesn't.

With the Tikka I’d go short. Mag length will be your friend with it. I don’t know if the Predator uses the AR mags or not, (I think it does) but in my RAR that’s a real limitation for me. OAL at 2.26 makes for a very full case. IMO of course.

Yes it takes AR mags. I’m debating buying the AICS conversion for it and loading longer out

Yes it takes AR mags. I’m debating buying the AICS conversion for it and loading longer out

I considered that. But between the price of the AICS 223 mags and me already having AR mags, I stayed with what I had.
My velocity isn’t bad, but I know I’m giving some up with the short OAL.

If you have a Ruger that functions as designed, celebrate!

What could the Tikka do for you that the Ruger doesn't.
I have a Ruger in 6.5 grendel and a tikka in .223. The Ruger is cheaply made and has a very flimsy stock. The Tikka has a far better trigger and stock. The tikka has a much smoother action and a bolt lock.

If you upgrade the trigger and stock, you will be over the cost of a tikka and still have a cheap rifle.

The Ruger American ranch is a neat rifle packed with features. It comes with a short threaded barrel and takes inexpensive ar mags. I love loading up a 10 or 15 round mag and blasting away. I just wish the quality was higher.

The tikka is fine rifle from the factory, all it needs is a threaded barrel.

I considered that. But between the price of the AICS 223 mags and me already having AR mags, I stayed with what I had.
My velocity isn’t bad, but I know I’m giving some up with the short OAL.

I’m actually running 73 eldm in the bolt 223 and 77 tmks in my ARs so I don’t “mix up” loads. Green tips = ARs. Red rips = bolt gun lol

Do it. Then get a Timney trigger. The original is kinda ok-ish, but the Timney transforms the gun entirely.

Also, if you're super bored, strip the bolt completely & polish up the outside with some 800, then 1500 grit wet & dry. It makes it glassy smooth.

20220318_141633.jpg

Do it. Then get a Timney trigger. The original is kinda ok-ish, but the Timney transforms the gun entirely.

Also, if you're super bored, strip the bolt completely & polish up the outside with some 800, then 1500 grit wet & dry. It makes it glassy smooth.

View attachment 517844

My biggest hang up was the mixed forum review of saying if the aics mags would actually work. Can send me what exactly you ordered ? I’ll PM you

My biggest hang up was the mixed forum review of saying if the aics mags would actually work. Can send me what exactly you ordered ? I’ll PM you

I am also interested in what you got. I have read that ruger sells the aics "bottom metal" (lol bottom plastic more like) but I cant find it on their website. Did you have to call Ruger to order it?

Back