.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Old Dog

FNG
Good Lord that person is only a few years older than me :unsure: and yet they've bought into some magical "firepower" belief. :ROFLMAO: It really isn't surprising considering the old, "5.56 was developed to wound" is still making the rounds.

Anyway, brought my brand new Tikka Compact in 223 home yesterday....sadly there was nothing in the manual about how much firepower it had. :ROFLMAO:.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
It all seriousness, how would an adult benefit from a compact rifle unless all their rifles have short LOP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
RSS strikes again!

The 14YO boy's Christmas gift got put to use today at last, after a busy few weeks following the holiday season.

.223 T3x Compact, SM rings, 6x SWFA.
77SMK seconds, 24.0 TAC bulk (thrown charges) load I run in my AR. Zero "load development" for this rifle.

1000002054.jpg

4 round boresight, adjusted and he shot 5-14 out of the rifle for this group. Slipped turrets, and went to 380, 528, and 774. He was easily over 90% hits on 2MOA targets once we trued velocity at 774. He is in love, like completely smitten. 10x more confidence after one trip with this setup vs his 7mm-08 (despite mechanical accuracy being very close between the two). Calling his own hits before the sound came back from the steel and grinning ear to ear, and I was happy to let him shoot lots at .40ish CPR vs $1 per.

No photos or video, I was busy RO'ing for him and his 9YO brother.

Oh and thanks @Formidilosus, @PNWGATOR, @hereinaz and a few others who gave me the nudge I needed to make the switch for him.

Last edited:
OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
RSS strikes again!

The 14YO boy's Christmas gift got put to use today at last, after a busy few weeks following the holiday season.

77SMK seconds, 24.0 TAC bulk (thrown charges) load I run in my AR. Zero "load development" for this rifle.

View attachment 661050

4 round boresight, adjusted and he shot 5-14 out of the rifle for this group. Slipped turrets, and went to 380, 528, and 774. He was easily over 90% hits on 2MOA targets once we trued velocity at 774. He is in love, like completely smitten. 10x more confidence after one trip with this setup vs his 7mm-08 (despite mechanical accuracy being very close between the two). Calling his own hits before the sound came back from the steel and grinning ear to ear, and I was happy to let him shoot lots at .40ish CPR vs $1 per.

Oh and thanks @Formidilosus, @PNWGATOR, @hereinaz and a few others who gave me the nudge I needed to make the switch for him.
Fantastic!

You have a can on this gun?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
RSS strikes again!

View attachment 661050

Good job.

eric1115

WKR
Fantastic!

You have a can on this gun?
Nope, bare muzzle for now. I only have one can (this is going to change as soon as possible), so his younger siblings get priority on that.

The rifle and scope upgrade was a big enough stretch as it is, so he can live without a can for a while 🙂.

Wilfred

FNG
RSS strikes again!

View attachment 661050

Great work getting your son off to a positive start! What velocity did the truing indicate?

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Nope, bare muzzle for now. I only have one can (this is going to change as soon as possible), so his younger siblings get priority on that.

The rifle and scope upgrade was a big enough stretch as it is, so he can live without a can for a while 🙂.
Have that thing outfitted with a can.

Literally a marked improvement over what you’ve already assembled.

Please, start the process and screw one on. It makes a difference!

eric1115

WKR
Great work getting your son off to a positive start! What velocity did the truing indicate?
2675. Magnetospeed battery was dead, it'll be interesting to see what it chrono's. Trued velocity is almost exactly what my 18" AR runs that load.

Wilfred

FNG
2675. Magnetospeed battery was dead, it'll be interesting to see what it chrono's. Trued velocity is almost exactly what my 18" AR runs that load.
Thanks. When you do have an opportunity to chronograph it, please let us know.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Easy day.

Put it into the calculator and go kill more animáis.

Well done.

Juan_ID

WKR
Which one do you recommend?
Tons of good options out there, I only have 2 at the moment, silencerco omega 30 and a CGS Hyperion K. Without a doubt for the smaller calibers I like the Hyperion more. Little shorter and lighter and sounds awesome even on the 16.5” 223.

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of good options out there, I only have 2 at the moment, silencerco omega 30 and a CGS Hyperion K. Without a doubt for the smaller calibers I like the Hyperion more. Little shorter and lighter and sounds awesome even on the 16.5” 223.
Thanks, that is helpful. I was looking at that CGS and the hux flow 762. Both look nice but the hux isn't a direct mount. I was also debating getting a 556 and a 762 or just a 762 since it will work on everything.

Juan_ID

WKR
I have never messed with any that weren’t direct thread, I don’t see the advantage of qd vs direct thread. I’ve yet to have either one of mine work loose while shooting but only have 2-3 thousand rounds fired through them at this point between 6.5creed 6arc and 223. I’d recommend a 30cal if you plan to use on more than the 223. I know some guys like having caliber specific suppressors but I like the flexibility of being able to put them on any rifle without having to think about it.

mt100gr.

WKR
It all seriousness, how would an adult benefit from a compact rifle unless all their rifles have short LOP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Tikka compact comes with a spacer so it can be a standard LOP rifle as well. And the compacts have a 20" barrel from the factory which is a handy length out of the box if folks don't intend to cut/thread.