.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

robtattoo

WKR
Sorry I meant how many grains of powder do you use for your 77grn with Tac loads haha! I’m on a tight component budget so tac is great
Hahaha! Whoops!

My Tikka likes the same as you: 24.5 The Ruger prefers 24.2 & I have yet to work up a load for my Uberlight AR, but if it isn't one of those 2, one of those 2 will do. Shit's complicated enough!

Firth

FNG
Hahaha! Whoops!

My Tikka likes the same as you: 24.5 The Ruger prefers 24.2 & I have yet to work up a load for my Uberlight AR, but if it isn't one of those 2, one of those 2 will do. Shit's complicated enough!
This. I keep it simple, too.

I experiment with new bullets from time to time, but have two main loads. A cheaper 75 bthp load and a 73 eld load. I don't bother tuning to a specific gun and just shoot those in everything. I might see an accuracy difference in a tuned load, but I'm not a good enough shot for it to matter from field positions.

zdc1775

FNG
Monos. Tipped TTSX, or LRX in the mag and twist will support. I personally mostly use a bullet that isn’t commercially available.

I mostly use the TTSX when I want deeper penetration or "cleaner" kills, but I am curious about these bullets. I know you said they are not commercially available, but are they experimental or more like lathe turned customs? Understand if you don't want to go into too much detail but still curious.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
This. I keep it simple, too.

I experiment with new bullets from time to time, but have two main loads. A cheaper 75 bthp load and a 73 eld load. I don't bother tuning to a specific gun and just shoot those in everything. I might see an accuracy difference in a tuned load, but I'm not a good enough shot for it to matter from field positions.

I'm in this camp as well. I've come to MUCH prefer a generic load, using a known bullet (on game performance/acceptable BC/available), with "good" accuracy in multiple rifles than the same bullet in a "tuned to one rifle" load that's .5 MOA tighter on grouping...but needs different loads/bullets/etc for different rifles of the same chambering.

Rolltide

FNG
Also...FWIW...I haven't shot any of my .223s more than a few hundred rounds in the last 10 years combined.

This thread has led me to drag out a comp rifle I put together years ago as well as picking up a Gen II Ruger Ranch in 5.56...and about 2k rounds of Norma 77gr OTM...not to mention that crap load of Black Hills TMKs I just ordered...

I guess I should say Thanks!

Not to derail this thread with non-.223 autopsy photos, but in response to what “maximized wound channels” look like in larger calibers, here’s a deer my dad shot at about 150 yards with a 168 grain ELD-M from his .308. The bullet went in a touch higher than ideal, going from left to right in the photo. you can see from this perspective that it bulged out the back of the deer, destroying both backstraps in the process. This is a bullet that passed several inches UNDER the spine, yet still managed to destroy everything above the spine. Definitely way more than you need (or should want) for deer.

Attachments

• FDE8A704-0FE1-4CE9-A31C-CFB2C3395C76.jpeg
    FDE8A704-0FE1-4CE9-A31C-CFB2C3395C76.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Thegman

WKR
Not to derail this thread with non-.223 autopsy photos, but in response to what “maximized wound channels” look like in larger calibers, here’s a deer my dad shot at about 150 yards with a 168 grain ELD-M from his .308. The bullet went in a touch higher than ideal, going from left to right in the photo. you can see from this perspective that it bulged out the back of the deer, destroying both backstraps in the process. This is a bullet that passed several inches UNDER the spine, yet still managed to destroy everything above the spine. Definitely way more than you need (or should want) for deer.
That's interesting, thanks for posting it. I posted the pic below months ago. It was kind of a head scratcher at the time as I'd never seen something like this. It seems to be the little 77TMK version of your 168 ELDM experience.

This hit was at a little over 300 yards, and like your pic, the shot was broadside through the ribs/lungs and was nowhere near the spine. Regardless, it put a hole up through the spine as well, although I didn't lose nearly as much backstrap as your 168ELDM example.

Maybe this is more common with these various match bullets than other types of bullets as I'd not previously seen anything like this (or like your example).

20231026_154413.jpg