223 powders for reduced loads?

koppertop

FNG
Strange request….I’m looking to load up some reduced loads to ease my daughter into shooting a 223. A suppressor would be my first choice but unfortunately isn’t an option. Obviously ear pro will be worn. I’d like to reduce recoil and blast a bit from normal loads.

In “normal” times it looks like blue dot would be the easy answer. Same with h4895. I don’t have any and can’t seem to find any of the normal powders for reduced loads. Does anyone have suggestions for reduced 223 loads with non-popular powders that I might be able to find?

Ive read that you can use cast load data with regular jacketed bullets. In Lyman 49 it has two cast loads for 223 with imr 4227 which I might be able to buy. Can anyone confirm that cast loads work with jacketed bullets?

My daughter is currently shooting a 22, I’m hoping to use some reduced loads to ease her into the 223. Maybe reduced loads aren’t necessary in a 223 (?) but I’m trying my best to not screw up her interest in shooting. With some practice and fun success I’ll work her up to regular loads with the 77 tmk.
Thanks for any suggestions!
KT

Zappaman

WKR
Look up Seafire on Campfire Forum... He has tested (by him) a BOATLOAD of Blue dot loads (that shoot like a 22lr using the lower charges).

I've used them and they are a blast for rabbit hunting with smaller bullets. I've also loaded some heavy bullets and they run pretty good still (for a deer out to 150).

- and I'd also pay careful attention to what he says when reloading Blue Dot as you can put TWO carges (by accident) if not careful. I drop the powder and bullet in one move to help.

Edit: I see you already looked at Blue dot. There are a few on the internet using other shotgun powders, and the always suggested 4895 reduced loads. So ya, start with lighter bullets and min charge for what you have (or might get). Darn power shortage!

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Reduced loads imo are not really needed. If you want to reduce recoil add weight, or shoot a lighter bullet. You can load slower with about any of the popular 223 powders. You will not reduce blast or noise, 223 is already tolerable in that regard.

One thing that will help being there is no suppressor in the mix. Double up ear pro. And video her shooting the rifle, show her that it’s not going to clock her.

If possible it’s a lot more fun to shoot at stuff other than paper. Balloons, clays, steel.

OP
K

koppertop

FNG
Thanks for the ideas.

I have tried a 55 grain bullet with a starting load of imr 3031, while recoil was mild, the blast seemed just as bad as full power loads.

Yes, I saw seafire’s blue dot loads. They look perfect…..except for the fact that they require blue dot! Dunno if I want to feed the problem and buy a pound from gunbroker. I’ll look and see if he recommends any other powders.

As much as another rifle would be nice…..I don’t really need to fill a hole between 22lr and 223. The reduced loads will be temporary and then replaced with full power 223.

Anybody used cast load data with jacketed bullets?

Keep the thoughts coming!

Zappaman

WKR
I used super-slow milsurp powders (duplexed with a kicker of Unique) one year. Problem was the barrel got "sooty" fast. I'd drop a local ad for Blue Dot power (buy or trade)? I have a lb. I'd spare to someone in Eastern KS... and I wouldnt' charge them $75 either ;) But you might find a local supply if you only need a lb. if you ask around here. Good luck!

OP
K

koppertop

FNG
No trail boss either….

Maybe adding weight to the rifle is the way to go as lawnboi suggests? Maybe I’m over thinking it and 223 is fine? Was just looking for the absolute highest odds for fun and success before creeping up to full loads.

Still looking for a compact stock so hopefully I’ll stumble on some blue dot too….

Thanks!

Trackselk

WKR
Great thread, Please post what you come up with. I'm looking to make some for an occasional grouse for the pot. I think it was 24hrcampfire where one guy mentioned cheap 32 auto ball (or cast?) bullets for cheap, accurate 30 cal squib loads. Maybe there's something similar to be made for the 223?
Might be a totally different powder as I'm looking for 22 cal type performance...
Hopefully this is helpful, not trying to hijack the discussion

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
@Trackselk . I know this is an old thread... but if your still looking for a .223 grouse load I'm using 13gr of Imr 4198 behind a 55gr hornady btsp with a Remington 6.5 primer. I generally use it as a low cost practice round but I don't see why it wouldn't do good on a grouse. I'm getting roughly 1900fps and I can keep them on an 8" plate out to 300yds. Data came straight from the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook for a 55gr cast bullet

Trackselk

WKR
@Trackselk . I know this is an old thread... but if your still looking for a .223 grouse load I'm using 13gr of Imr 4198 behind a 55gr hornady btsp with a Remington 6.5 primer. I generally use it as a low cost practice round but I don't see why it wouldn't do good on a grouse. I'm getting roughly 1900fps and I can keep them on an 8" plate out to 300yds. Data came straight from the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook for a 55gr cast bullet
Thanks, I ended up changing to 223 for practice only, but I appreciate it!