Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What am I missing then? Lone Peak TI, McM Edge and a Proof carbon barrel. Just one rough example of similar quality components. Innumerable smiths could put that together, weigh the same, and shoot just as well, for $5-6k or less. What makes this $7-8k different? With a questionable scope, no less? I’m not being a wise ass, I’m genuinely curious. Where is that extra several thousand bucks hidden??
I don't know what you are missing that's the point. I've never owned a Gunwerks rifle. But I like to learn from First-hand Knowledge, not second-hand opinions. I use to think Mcmillan's stocks were the cat's ass then I shot a Clymr. Some companies innovate and some keep doing the same thing.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I use to think that same thing. "1000 Yards out of the box" was the slogan, it bugged me. But then I noticed that everyone with a Tikka and a turret scope was doing the same thing. That's not a Gunwerks issue that a human nature issue.

I see what you’re saying and agree somewhat, BUT the big difference in buying a Tikka and customizing/scope mounting, load development, etc is that one is doing that whole process for the most part. At least they are apart of it and have to at least verify at long range. If they have a smith do everything it’s a different story I guess. When someone buys a gunwerks that comes with a load already developed they may ignorantly assume they will be able to hit a target at any distance that they see in their scope. Again I agree human problem for sure, it’s just that gunwerks gives a pathway to folks with deep pockets to feel a false sense of security in their rifle after 20 rounds at the range “rifles good let’s go hunting.”
Also, most people don’t have access to a range past 3-500 yards and take their first 700 yard shot they’ve ever attempted at deer in the field. Makes my blood boil.

Gunwerks has 2 value adders IMO:

1. Stock design. Nobody competes in stock shape IMO and it either costs too much to copy them, other manufacturers are clueless, or the consumers just dont know enough to make others follow suit.
2. The "system" - you get load and dope info and everything is nicely packaged together. Saves a lot of time that people with that much cash don't always tend to have.

To most folks, the juice aint worth the squeeze but there's obviously enough value there for plenty of people to buy them.

My perfect stock would be a magnus back half shape and the front half would have a universal inlet a la manners LRH or greyboe trekker. Possibly built with paradigms light weight construction but I haven't used one so I'd have to make sure there aren't any shortcomings to overcome with that one..

SDHNTR

WKR
Gunwerks has 2 value adders IMO:

1. Stock design. Nobody competes in stock shape IMO and it either costs too much to copy them, other manufacturers are clueless, or the consumers just dont know enough to make others follow suit.
2. The "system" - you get load and dope info and everything is nicely packaged together. Saves a lot of time that people with that much cash don't always tend to have.

To most folks, the juice aint worth the squeeze but there's obviously enough value there for plenty of people to buy them.

My perfect stock would be a magnus back half shape and the front half would have a universal inlet a la manners LRH or greyboe trekker. Possibly built with paradigms light weight construction but I haven't used one so I'd have to make sure there aren't any shortcomings to overcome with that one..
Visually, I don’t see much difference in the stock shape. What’s unique about this stock versus what else is available?

A lot of custom builders will do load development, break in, sight in, cut turrets or dope charts and give you the recipe. Either as part of their package, or for an additional fee. Or you can always send your rifle to a number of load development outfits and for $300-500, they will dial it in for you. In either case, thousands of dollars less than Gunwerks.

Visually, I don’t see much difference in the stock shape. What’s unique about this stock versus what else is available?
Negative comb. Vertical grip close to trigger with a nice thumb shelf all while not being a chunky brick.

A lot of custom builders will do load development, break in, sight in, cut turrets or dope charts and give you the recipe. Either as part of their package, or for an additional fee. Or you can always send your rifle to a number of load development outfits and for $300-500, they will dial it in for you. In either case, thousands of dollars less than Gunwerks.

I can click "add to cart" and check out with that SOB from gunwerks in 2 minutes and never have to coordinate all of that package with anyone. It doesn't make sense for you or me to spend that premium but for someone making 8 figures with kids, a busy job, maybe a needy wife, it takes some headache out of the process and you're getting a nice product.

Edit: You're right.. a few k premium still doesn't make sense. You could coordinate all that crap with a smith with a couple hours of research and a 30 minute conversation. So I guess it makes sense for someone who doesn't know WTF they want or where to start researching and it's easier to just swipe the card and assume it must be the best for that price..

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Lots of people have more money than time and Gunwerks has catered to that crowd. That's as American as it gets.

and if you shot a Clymr you would own one shortly after. :)

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hmmm… I’ll chime in here, why not!?

People underestimate R&D. Limited runs are very expensive when you are doing something similar to the skunkwerks projects GW does. Making a slight change might cause you to have to completely remake your tooling. Machinists aren’t cheap. People that can do advanced CAD design and simulation like the video displayed aren’t cheap. As Aaron said in the video, they are targeting someone that would be on a very expensive sheep hunt… “one shot can cost you
75k”.

I’ll say that will never be me, and I don’t plan on owning a GW rifle. I would totally consider purchasing some of there components, as they are an innovative company that isn’t hesitant to drop a million dollars on a project like this.

Props to GW for being innovative… can’t wait for the BR4 rangefinder.

Ken

As Aaron said in the video, they are targeting someone that would be on a very expensive sheep hunt… “one shot can cost you 75k”.
Sounds like the kind of hunt where a guide carries some of your shit so you don't need to carry a hard to shoot ultralight rifle. 😁

Last edited:

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
did they recently increase the price on the clymr stocks by about 25%? Stock material inflation must be related to plywood and OSB board.

joelbiltz

WKR
Contrary to what people think Gunwerks does not do custom loads for their guns. They use their standard load. Unless things have changed they also do not send a test target with their rifles. There is a reason behind that! And this is first hand knowledge.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
LOL! We don't normally offer the VX6 line because there are better options out there for dedicated long range. BUT, with weight being the primary goal with this system, the VX6 is among the best options for weight savings and long range capability. We've had pretty good luck with them. If you're willing to add an extra half pound to your rifle setup, there are some great options out there, and The CUT isn't the right choice for you.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I respect the engineering and like the innovative thinking. I dont care for the colors though. I still can't bring myself to pay the gunwerks premium either. I'll stick with paying the caesar guerini and blaser premium on my shotguns though.

@Landonm
The main reason I dont buy a gun like this. If I have loved that gun correctly I will burn up the barrel. Then what? I wonder what it would take to get another custom barrel for that gun out of gunwerks. I'm afraid it would be in the 3k+ range.
We do a lifetime rebarrel program on our rifles. We just charge the cost of the barrel blank. Full re-chamber, paint, etc. if you shoot it out.

The nice thing about these Skunkwerks projects is that we use a lot of the R&D that goes into these systems to pump new tech into current and future models. I'm almost certain the ClymR will get this new barrel profile as a permanent addition to the line-up.

freddyG

WKR
Contrary to what people think Gunwerks does not do custom loads for their guns. They use their standard load. Unless things have changed they also do not send a test target with their rifles. There is a reason behind that! And this is first hand knowledge.
So they use a standard load much like Cooper? In that case, it’s not really custom load development, it’s more like “here is a load that works in the majority of rifles, good luck”. At least Cooper sends a target with each rifle.

joelbiltz

WKR
So they use a standard load much like Cooper? In that case, it’s not really custom load development, it’s more like “here is a load that works in the majority of rifles, good luck”. At least Cooper sends a target with each rifle.
Exactly!!! And I know of at least a few of those rifles that would not shoot with “their” load. That’s awesome when spending 10-13k on a “custom” rifle. How would you feel? LMFAO.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We develop a specific load and reamer spec that shoot well together and load our own standardized load for all our rifles chambered in that cartridge. because of the processes we're using, we can control consistency from rifle to rifle so the chances are VERY high that every rifle we produce shoots our load well.

The added step and difference is we shoot every single rifle that goes out the door. Not just a test round or a test group. Our precision standard is 7 rounds inside 3/4". If it doesn't meet our standards, it doesn't leave the building...period. We avoid the hype and gimmicks of accuracy guarantees and impressive 3 shot groups shot from 50 yards sent out with rifles.

Accuracy guarantees from most of the industry are exactly what you mention "most our rifles shoot this good (or we hope they will) and if it doesn't, we'll take care of you". We don't need to "hope" the rifle shoots well, because we've seen it shoot well with our own eyes.

This also means a Gunwerks owner can get ammo from us pretty much any time, rather than hoping to get some new loads made up. Current shortages are making a few loads tough, but we've managed to keep most everything we offer on the shelf.

Sure, we've had a rifle here or there make it out the door with problems. At the volume we produce, even with the extra steps we have in place, something will fall through the cracks eventually. In those rare cases we do everything in our power to fix the problem and keep our customers happy and successful.

Landonm

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
At what distance is the 7 rounds into 3/4” shot?
100 yards. A 7 round group shows true statistical significance (consistency). 3 round groups are just for bragging rights. ;)

Plenty of rifles go out the door shooting better, but that is our minimum standard.

Last edited: