270, 25-06 black bear bullet combo

bdg848

WKR
Hey guys. I'm planning a spot and stalk spring black bear hunt and looking at a few options. A have a 270 win and thanks to another very generous member here, I have the following bullets to load; Barnes 140 gr TSX, Berger 140 gr VLD hunting, and Nosler 150 gr ABLR. I'm sure they all will work no problem but are there any crowd favorites for bear? I'm leaning towards the 150 gr ABLR although, I've heard concerns that they wont stabilize in a standard 1:10 at my elevation.

Secondly, my friend is coming along on this hunt and needs to borrow a rifle. I have a 25-06 and a few boxes of 120 gr Remington Core-lokt. Is this cartridge/bullet combo sufficient for a maximum range of, say, 350 yards? I could try to find a few boxes of partitions or tsx or something if the core-lokt isn't the right bullet for the job but you know how ammo is right now. Fortunately 25-06 is usually never sold out around here. If 25-06 is a horrible choice, I can try and borrow something a bit more substantial from a friend of a friend but who knows.

Thanks for the help.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Shot my 2020 black bear with my 25-06 and factory 100 grain ttsx at around 240 yards. Did the job.

AKDoc

WKR
Hey guys. I'm planning a spot and stalk spring black bear hunt and looking at a few options. A have a 270 win and thanks to another very generous member here, I have the following bullets to load; Barnes 140 gr TSX, Berger 140 gr VLD hunting, and Nosler 150 gr ABLR. I'm sure they all will work no problem but are there any crowd favorites for bear? I'm leaning towards the 150 gr ABLR although, I've heard concerns that they wont stabilize in a standard 1:10 at my elevation.

Secondly, my friend is coming along on this hunt and needs to borrow a rifle. I have a 25-06 and a few boxes of 120 gr Remington Core-lokt. Is this cartridge/bullet combo sufficient for a maximum range of, say, 350 yards? I could try to find a few boxes of partitions or tsx or something if the core-lokt isn't the right bullet for the job but you know how ammo is right now. Fortunately 25-06 is usually never sold out around here. If 25-06 is a horrible choice, I can try and borrow something a bit more substantial from a friend of a friend but who knows.

Thanks for the help.
I've taken many black bears on spring spot and stalk snow-slide hunts up here.

Several of those black bears were taken with a 257WBY, shooting handloaded 100grn TSX's. Sharing two examples, one of those bears squared over 7ft and DRT (pictured below), and another was a back-up shot to my friend's wounding shot as the 6ft bear turned away and was running directly away from us (I shot him from behind and that 100grn TSX traveled the length of the bear, exiting the chest, and killing him). Both of those particular shots were within 100yds, while some others with that cartridge were 100-200

I provided the information above as a comparative for you. I know the 100grn velocities of the 257WBY are greater than the 25-06, but that 25-06 is no velocity slouch...I wouldn't hesitate bringing it.

Black Bear.jpgBear.jpg

Thanks for the help.
I really like the Hornady 117 gr SST out of the 25-06. Maybe a dozen or more animals with it. The speed really makes up for the lighter bullet. I wouldn’t hesitate shooting a black bear with that round.

Spoonbill

WKR
I think those 270 bullet choices would be fine, just pick what shoots best. Not sure if you handload but Midway is selling 270 eld-x factory seconds.
Regarding your 25-06, I have a friend who swears by the accubond 117gr? He has shot a few large hogs with it and has been happy. I am sure the corelokt’s will work too, plenty of animals die every year getting hit by those.

Haney

FNG
Another yes vote for the 25-06 , with a good hunting bullet your friend can hunt with confidence.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
First, I've never hunted black bear, but I have used Barnes bullets for years now, and I would choose them over the others for the penetration they offer. Especially with the 25-06, I'm sure any of the bullets will work with perfect shot placement, but the Barnes will offer you a margin of error if you hit shoulder bone or any bone for that matter. Just my .02

Lando

WKR
I have shot several bang flop elk with my 25-06, so I wouldn't worry about it being enough gun at all. Just pick the right bullet like a barnes, partition etc.