.270 on whitetail - short range

My first deer rifle long before I started to geek out on the finer details of rifles was a m700 adl 270. I used the cheapest box of hunting 270 ammo available on the shelf whether it be winchester, rem, federal, etc. Basically 130 grain soft points or core lokts.

Any and all of them blew through MN/ND whitetails and killed them with more authority than necessary. Don't overthink it.

WKR
I shoot factory loaded Core-lokts for that application out of my 270. My longest whitetail kill with one was 210 yards, and it performed perfectly. I think it's also the best way to get brass for reloading.

I could not be a bigger fan on accubonds from 60 pound to 280 pound whitetail… 20 yards to 260.

270 wsm. 140s. So a little more V and E than 270, but the accubond is one hell of a do-all bullet.

130 grain Sierra boat tails. I load a lot of different bullets for many calibers, but for my .270 those Sierra’s even though they are like the cheapest bullet out there, have never let me down in a .270 from close range to 400 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a good number with the ole 270, it's all I hunt deer with anymore. Ive used most the bullets mentioned actually. I think of myself as a bullet connoisseur haha. I will just add an important factor after choosing a sturdy bullet is shot placement. If you go for the classic broadside behind the shoulder "heart" shot I bet you'll get the pass through your looking for. Might run some but not far.

I try put a softer one high shoulder and it's usually like the rug got pulled out from under them. I like the relief of seeing them pile up and have to admit enjoy the extra loud reassuring thwak sound lol. It's definitely a messier method tho! Good luck

Last edited:

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
For cup & core bullets, I've had good luck with the Hornady SST's in 130gr, very accurate out to 400 yds, and held together pretty well at close range, I load those to a little over 3000fps. But the last few years I've switched to the Barnes TTSX in 110gr. and haven't looked back.

The cheap blue box federal 130 grain soft points. I’ve shot a dump truck load of deer with my 270. I’ve shot them from 5-350 yds. Never had any issues.

If I were hunting 300lb Canadian bucks I may choose a slightly stouter bullet but for 150-175lb southern whitetails, this is all I need.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I think federal power shock use hornday interlock, I have shot elk , caribou, tons of deer, some sheep, hogs
with them , people seem to over think it, or chase technology
I'm guilty as charged on this but also totally agree with you! I can't help wanting to shoot higher shelf knowing full well the "average" bullets will perform.

Much better off buying more of the less expensive ammo or bullets and getting additional range time.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot hand loaded, high bc bullets through a custom fast twist carbon fiber barrel and never shoot over 400 at deer. LOL

I have always used Rem green box coreloks for deer. The ranges mentioned is pretty much the range I shoot deer at. This year I am going to try the Norma 130 grain ammo with their softpoint bullet.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Partitions and Interlocks are my first 2 choices.
Going to try some Federal Fusions in my .308 this year.