.270 on whitetail - short range

What bullet were you using? 130g 270 loads have been killing deer for over 100 years.
They were Norma Whitetail 130gr soft points. I never had an issue with 130gr bullets before. I was surprised the bullet came apart like that so fast.

I’ve killed deer inside of 40 yds out to 300 yds with the 130gr barnes ttsx, never recovered a bullet but the results were there and my 270 really likes the barnes bullets. My 2nd choice would be the partitions, also very deadly but since switching to ttsx I haven’t had a reason to go back.

I've used a 270 exclusively on whitetails for 40 years with 150 gr partitions. I can't remember the number of deer I've killed with that combo and I've never had a partition not do the job when put where it is supposed to go regardless of distance. Switched to 130 gr partitions in 2020 when I ran out of ammo and they have done the same. Killed 5 elk with the old 270 using the 150 gr partitions, with the longest shot being 350 yards before I convince myself that I needed a 300 wsm.

I've used a 270 exclusively on whitetails for 40 years with 150 gr partitions. I can't remember the number of deer I've killed with that combo and I've never had a partition not do the job when put where it is supposed to go regardless of distance. Switched to 130 gr partitions in 2020 when I ran out of ammo and they have done the same. Killed 5 elk with the old 270 using the 150 gr partitions, with the longest shot being 350 yards before I convince myself that I needed a 300 wsm.
Hammer Hunter 117 grain. Close to far they will drop with full penetration.

What would you suggest for a .270 WIN whitetail round from 20-200 yards? Preferably something that will stay together at close range and pass through. Hornady Interlock and the Nosler Partition 130’s come to mind. Any suggestions?
I shoot just plain Jane federal powershoks...shoots 3/4 to 1 in out of my 80s rem 700 bdl 270...ain't ever lost 1 most drop ...but hell that's a 270 win for ya😏😎

Back