270 or 280AI

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a 270win that I'm going to have some work done to it. At the time i wasn't planning on changing it into a 280AI, but lately it has been crossing my mind. I was just curious if its worth making it into a 280AI?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Depending on ammo choice you’re looking at a difference of only about 200 ft lbs of energy and 2” of drop at 500 yards. Just as a quick example.

For elk, a lot of guys use the 1,200 ft lbs rule for one shot clean kill. You don’t go below that energy threshold until 625 yards with the .270 in a 145 grain ELD-X. You’ll go below that energy energy number at 775 yards with the .280AI 162 Grain ELD-X.

Just some quick numbers to consider for your application.

BjornF16

WKR
I'd say it really depends on if you reload or not.

If strictly use factory ammo...then 270Win will give you more choices (64 options on MidwayUSA). There are fewer choices for 280AI factory ammo (8 options on MidwayUSA).

However, reloading gives you many more long range options for 280AI (if long range is a consideration).

I prefer the 280 AI.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think any animal you hunt will be able to tell the difference. Nosler makes some 150gr LRAB's for both calibers which carry high BC's and perform excellent. I got a pass through on a moose at +/-250yds last year with my 280ai.
I am a 280 fan, it started out with a 280rem in a win model 70 featherweight. For some reason the gun was just a flat out killer, deer, elk, moose, it didn't matter they all dropped dead from a single shot at ranges up to 600yds. Then, like you I found a Kimber in 280ai and bought it, haven't looked back since. I'm on my 4th 280ai now and don't see myself moving to another big game cartridge any time soon. With the advancements in bullet construction over the past few years with the likes of the LRAB's and the ELD-X bullets, I'm good to shoot out as far as I'm comfortable with my 280 and I'm confident my bullet will perform.
I say if you want a 280ai, go for it. It's my personal favorite cartridge, but as much as I love it, when it comes to real world performance I don't think the extra 0.007 of an inch is going to make much difference on the animal. In my head is a different story though....

Disclaimer: I am not a "Best of the West" hunter and I have no intentions of shooting anything past 600yds. Besides, I don't have the optics to be able to judge an animal past 500yds anyway.

I had a 280 Remington and loved that cartridge and rifle. I sold it several years back and always wanted to replace it with a Winchester Model 70 with the controlled round feed. I also wanted a 24" barrel on it, which meant I would have to have a Model 70 re-chambered in that cartridge. Found a perfect 270 Winchester, had the barrel pulled and a custom rifle built on that action and stock. This time I went with the 280 AI. I love it as much or more than the regular 280. I've taken a cow elk - 450 yards, one shot, whitetail buck - 250 yards one shot, antelope - 300 yards one shot, grizzly bear - 158 yards one shot (This year! ), mule deer doe and buck - both one shot at 300 yards.

I used the 140 gr. Partition on the cow, the whitetail buck, and antelope. 140 gr. Accubond on everything else.

Personally I'd keep the 270 as it's so easy to get ammo for and you probably already have a bunch of components for it. Not a massive difference at normal shooting distances.
If you're a reloader/tinkerer then maybe the AI.

Just another opinion here, but I had both in the same rifle, sold the AI and still have the .270 win. For my type of hunting purposes, I didn’t see a benefit of the .280 over the .270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
To be sure, the 8 choices for 280 AI ammo at MidwayUSA are all great choices! (no doubt with more coming).

You can have custom hand loads made to ensure your velocities are consistent for really not that much more than factory ammo. Those .284 162 grain ELD-X’s are absolutely lights out on big game at really long distances.

My .28 Nosler maintains 1,200 ft lbs of energy all the way out past 1,100 yards.

You can have custom hand loads made to ensure your velocities are consistent for really not that much more than factory ammo. Those .284 162 grain ELD-X’s are absolutely lights out on big game at really long distances.

My .28 Nosler maintains 1,200 ft lbs of energy all the way out past 1,100 yards.
28 Nosler has a bit more horsepower than the AI

Wrench

WKR
You won't be able to tell the difference in .007" of bullet on game. This is all about what YOU want.

JayTx

FNG
Just another opinion here, but I had both in the same rifle, sold the AI and still have the .270 win. For my type of hunting purposes, I didn’t see a benefit of the .280 over the .270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The recoil is pretty close between the 2 isn't it AK?

For the guys talking about the 28 nosler it comes with some more recoil doesn't it or am I way off?

The recoil is pretty close between the 2 isn't it AK?

For the guys talking about the 28 nosler it comes with some more recoil doesn't it or am I way off?

I shot a 28N in the Christensen Ridgeline, recoil was really tame. I’m just a little worried about the barrel life on a 28n. Sounds like it’s 1/2-1/3 if a 280 class cartridge