270 Sufficient for 1k goal?

Hi all, brand new shooter here. Due to some stupidity on my end, I ended up bidding on the wrong auction item and purchased a Vanguard in 270 instead of in 300 WSM. I felt wrong canceling since it was my own mistake and not theirs, so I'm taking delivery of it. I do have some interest in long range shooting. I got permission to plink on my friend's farm that could stretch out well over 1,000 yards, albeit at a pretty steep incline. Obviously, I have a long way to go before I hope to be hitting at those distances, but would like a gun chambered in a round that can grow with me.

In addition to this, I don't intend to use my gun to hunt unless it's at longer ranges, as I love to bow hunt. I could see the fun in taking a 400 yard shot once I'm proficient enough for it to be ethical, but I don't see myself hunting with a rifle in situations limited to 100-200 yards.

I understand that while the 270 Winchester can be a phenomenal round in many circumstances, it isn't necessarily fit for long range shooting. Would it be worth it to see if I could trade my rifle for something chambered in a more common long range round? If so, what would you recommend? I'd prefer the ammo to be relatively plentiful if possible, as where I'm at it can be hard to find niche calibers. Thanks for taking the time to read and offering any advice you may have.

Rob5589

WKR
A .270 will make it to 1k. Is the gun itself capable of stabilizing higher bc bullets and does the magazine/box have the length to accommodate? I'd also surmise that a long range high bc round from a .270 is likely a reloading proposition.

• Banned
OP
S
A .270 will make it to 1k. Is the gun itself capable of stabilizing higher bc bullets and does the magazine/box have the length to accommodate? I'd also surmise that a long range high bc round from a .270 is likely a reloading proposition.
Thank you. I do know someone who offered to reload for me (I don't have the cash to buy the equipment just yet, but definitely will be reloading myself in the future) and I could ask for the new 165 grain bullets. My concern was the stabilization calculator I used stated that the bullets would very likely not be stabilized in my 1:10 twist barrel. Would a 150 grain bullet be a better option for long distance?

Rob5589

WKR
I couldn't say, never used a 270 or know anyone that has. Only way to know is to try it out.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you. I do know someone who offered to reload for me (I don't have the cash to buy the equipment just yet, but definitely will be reloading myself in the future) and I could ask for the new 165 grain bullets. My concern was the stabilization calculator I used stated that the bullets would very likely not be stabilized in my 1:10 twist barrel. Would a 150 grain bullet be a better option for long distance?

It will not stabilize the 165gr bullets. The best best for a higher BC longer range bullet for a factory 270 is the 145gr ELD-X.

A 6.5cm would be a better factory option, and would be better for your use than any magnum, however the 270win won’t be the limiting factor at 400 yards (or a lot farther).

You’ll be fine with a 270 for your intended purposes. I have owned a few 270’s and a 270 wsm. I have shot them all out to 1k. It will also be capable of taking game out to 600-700 yards. The 150gr ABLR is a great round that should stabilize in a slower twist barrel. The 145gr eldx is also pretty awesome.

• Banned
OP
S
I couldn't say, never used a 270 or know anyone that has. Only way to know is to try it out.
Good point, I'll give it a shot
It will not stabilize the 165gr bullets. The best best for a higher BC longer range bullet for a factory 270 is the 145gr ELD-X.

A 6.5cm would be a better factory option, and would be better for your use than any magnum, however the 270win won’t be the limiting factor at 400 yards (or a lot farther).
Okay that makes sense. I was straying from the 6.5 because I was hoping this would be a do-it-all rifle for the next few years. I'd rather put that money into hunts than another rifle, at least while I'm still a broke college student. I know the guy who reloads my ammo definitely has 145 grain bullets, so I'll ask to stick with those
You’ll be fine with a 270 for your intended purposes. I have owned a few 270’s and a 270 wsm. I have shot them all out to 1k. It will also be capable of taking game out to 600-700 yards. The 150gr ABLR is a great round that should stabilize in a slower twist barrel. The 145gr eldx is also pretty awesome.
Perfect thank you!

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Have had a pre 64 .270 since 72'. Killed a charging grizz, (1/75 outdoor life cover), 9 elk, bou, moose, 200 deer. Great to 500 yards. 150 grain nosler. 6.5 prc is your long range caliber but the barrel is shot@1,000 rounds.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 55

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Okay that makes sense. I was straying from the 6.5 because I was hoping this would be a do-it-all rifle for the next few years. I'd rather put that money into hunts than another rifle, at least while I'm still a broke college student. I know the guy who reloads my ammo definitely has 145 grain bullets, so I'll ask to stick with those

The 6.5 cm is a do all rifle.

Brand new shooter and 300wsm don't belong in the same sentence if you ask me. Also for plinking at a range instead of hunting you'd be better off with a much smaller caliber. For a do all gun 6.5 creedmoor is the easy button. 270 is a great cartridge as well and will serve you just fine though the factory ammo options will likely be more expensive than the 6.5 and there will be a recoil penalty.

OP
S
Have had a pre 64 .270 since 72'. Killed a charging grizz, (1/75 outdoor life cover), 9 elk, bou, moose, 200 deer. Great to 500 yards. 150 grain nosler. 6.5 prc is your long range caliber but the barrel is shot@1,000 rounds.
That's a good point. Definitely need something that will last and 270 does seem like it will do it all
The 6.5 cm is a do all rifle.
Thanks, I think I'll put some rounds through the rifle when it comes in but if I decide to switch it up, I'll probably end up going with the 6.5CM
Brand new shooter and 300wsm don't belong in the same sentence if you ask me. Also for plinking at a range instead of hunting you'd be better off with a much smaller caliber. For a do all gun 6.5 creedmoor is the easy button. 270 is a great cartridge as well and will serve you just fine though the factory ammo options will likely be more expensive than the 6.5 and there will be a recoil penalty.
That makes sense. I can get some time behind the gun with the 270. Luckily the guy I get my ammo from is able to do 80 cents per round as long as I return my brass and offered to refund any malfunctions. He gives a huge variety of customization in terms of bullets and powders too which is great

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

When in the middle of nowhere, you can always find .270.

Sled

WKR
I like the 270 and found both the wsm and win to be very capable rifles. Pick your projectile based on twist rate and intended purpose. It'll be better than a kick in the shoulder from a 300wsm at the range.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
145gr ELD-X, 140 Berger Classic Hunter and 150gr ABLR bullets will get you to 1k yards easily in a standard twist 270 Win. No sweat

Last edited:

That's a funny lookin pre 64 ;)