6CM vs. 6.5CM

TX_Diver

WKR
Maybe should be a different thread, but how much does bullet weight affect recoil? 130 vs 147 or 95 vs 108 etc?

Driftin

FNG
Great conversation, seems the 6.5 cm having more splat with a big brake could be the ticket

If you want softer shooting then a 6 BR or Dasher will be the ticket, otherwise yeah a 6 CM isn't going to be much of a difference.

Appreciate the insight. Ideally it would still be a longer range mule deer hunting gun so I wasn’t sure about dropping down to 6BR or dasher. But it would be a good practice rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldor

WKR
I can say this, the 6cm is tough on meat. Lots of bloodshot. But is a pleasure to shoot and hunt with.

Lawnboi

WKR
Appreciate the insight. Ideally it would still be a longer range mule deer hunting gun so I wasn’t sure about dropping down to 6BR or dasher. But it would be a good practice rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really comes down to what you are going to use for a barrel length, along with a muzzle device.

I can get away with a lot with a suppressed 6 creedmoor. I can’t get away with anything on a bare muzzle 6.5 creed.

If your bare muzzle or brake and using a longer barrel the BR/dasher/GT becomes a much more viable option. Versus a short suppressed barrel would basically lock me into choosing a 6 creed.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I get it, people that are shooting that much regardless of caliber will need to replace barrels fairly often. The problem I have is that most people talking about barrel life don’t shoot much at all.
Fair, and for someone on a budget shooting that much, getting a 223 is probably the long term solution.

If you want softer shooting then a 6 BR or Dasher will be the ticket, otherwise yeah a 6 CM isn't going to be much of a difference.
I've been wondering about a 6 BRA or 6 GT barrel for the Encore. I need to research some more, but sounds like a better long range option than a 223 for mountain hunting once my daughter is old enough.

Really comes down to what you are going to use for a barrel length, along with a muzzle device.

I can get away with a lot with a suppressed 6 creedmoor. I can’t get away with anything on a bare muzzle 6.5 creed.

If your bare muzzle or brake and using a longer barrel the BR/dasher/GT becomes a much more viable option. Versus a short suppressed barrel would basically lock me into choosing a 6 creed.
How much would a 6 BR or GT loose on a 20 inch barrel?

Lawnboi

WKR
Fair, and for someone on a budget shooting that much, getting a 223 is probably the long term solution.

I've been wondering about a 6 BRA or 6 GT barrel for the Encore. I need to research some more, but sounds like a better long range option than a 223 for mountain hunting once my daughter is old enough.

How much would a 6 BR or GT loose on a 20 inch barrel?
I can only guess around 2700 or below, at comfortable pressure. Low enough that I would choose to build a creed.

Driftin

FNG
Good info guys. Thanks for all the input. I just pulled my tikka 308 barrel off to rebarrel. Look like I’m going for the 6.5 cm.

khuber84

WKR
Not enough to matter
I switched barrels back to back and shooting 112s was marginally softer than 147s from the same platfrom.
I believe in equal weight hunting style rigs, there's a noticeable difference of 140s at 2800, VS 105s at 3050fps. Especially suppressed, def more push. Brake.......nah not much.

I believe in equal weight hunting style rigs, there's a noticeable difference of 140s at 2800, VS 105s at 3050fps. Especially suppressed, def more push. Brake.......nah not much.
I guess it depends on your setup but with a 12ish lb rifle using a Nomad LT I literally couldn't tell much other than the 6 creed seemed snappier while the 6.5 had a slower slightly longer recoil impulse