270 Win Bullet choices.....

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
First of all I want to say that I’m very partial to bonded bullets, weight retention is a big deal for me. I shoot a 270 Win and am hunting on average 200-300lb animals. I hunt Whitetails, Axis deer, Auodads, Hogs, and have the outside chance at Elk. With that being said I’m currently shooting 130gr Federal Fusions, and have had good results with them. However, I’ve always wondered if I would get any benefits by shooting a bit heavier bullet, such as the Fusions in 150gr, Nosler Accubond in 140gr, Terminal Ascent 136gr, Edge TLR 136gr, Trophy Bonded 140gr, or even the Nosler Partition 150gr? Anybody with any experiences with any of these particular rounds or info or suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I shoot almost exclusively the Trophy Bonded Tips. youu get higher weight retention than any other bullet on that list and still get great performance under 100 yards. The Fusions and the Accu bonds to me are very similar in terminal performance 60-65% weight retention.

The Terminal Ascent and Edge TLR are the exact same bullet the Ascent just has an extra groove cut into it. Weight retention inbetween the TBT and Fusion/Accubonds.

As far as going up in weight with the same bullet (Fusion) to me no real benefit...you are within 100ish ftlbs of energy...get a little less wind deflection with the heavier bullet but more drop. Going to the Terminal Ascent or Accubond would provide more energy, less drift, less drop with similar or more weight retention.

130 gr TTSX are going to retain more than any of the bullets you listed. The VortX factory ammo shoots .5 moa in my Savage. Can't say enough about these bullets, they wreck animals and usually produce 2 holes. Id try the 129gr LRX if I could find them too.

I decided on the 150 grain Partition for my .270. I hand load them where the rifle likes them, which isn't screaming fast. I have had great success with them on deer, elk, kudu, duiker, warthogs, and feral hogs. I like heavy-for-caliber bullets typically, and I don't think I've shot anything with that rifle beyond 300 yards. Each animal was a pass through, most behind the shoulder, but the entrance and exit wounds were very dissimilar in size which leads me to believe the bullet expanded well and retained enough mass to punch through the other side.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my 270WSM I picked a bullet that I could hunt anything in North America with....I went with the 150gr Nosler Partition and have killed whitetails, Mule deer and two moose with that setup. Couldn't be happier

Spoonbill

WKR
First of all I want to say that I’m very partial to bonded bullets, weight retention is a big deal for me. I shoot a 270 Win and am hunting on average 200-300lb animals. I hunt Whitetails, Axis deer, Auodads, Hogs, and have the outside chance at Elk. With that being said I’m currently shooting 130gr Federal Fusions, and have had good results with them. However, I’ve always wondered if I would get any benefits by shooting a bit heavier bullet, such as the Fusions in 150gr, Nosler Accubond in 140gr, Terminal Ascent 136gr, Edge TLR 136gr, Trophy Bonded 140gr, or even the Nosler Partition 150gr? Anybody with any experiences with any of these particular rounds or info or suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if you reload, but shooters pro shop often has accubonds for sale. It is nosler’s company for selling overruns and factory seconds. They have 160 grain partitions in stock right now. Little outside what you are asking about, but could be a cheap way to try out some new bullets.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the 150 gr. Partition for elk and with just a very minor adjustment to my scope I shoot the 150 gr. Ballistic tip for deer and antelope.

I have had great results from both bullets including a pass thru on a mature bull elk at just shy of 600 yards.

That partition is hard to beat under any conditions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Going heavy is rarely a problem especially at closer ranges, but have you tried going lighter for those game animals? I've been shooting 85gr TSX, 95gr TTSX, and 129gr LRX out of my .270 and I really like them. The 85gr are going over 3900fps, and you can keep the scope on your target through the shot.

If you are particular to bonded bullets, and like the Nosler Partition then the Swift A-Frame is bonded whereas the Nosler Partition is not. The Swift A-Frame is constructed just like the Nosler Partition, but as I said the A-Frame is a bonded bullet.
My personal favorite for my .270 is the Barnes 130 TTSX

OP
Southernhunters

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot almost exclusively the Trophy Bonded Tips. youu get higher weight retention than any other bullet on that list and still get great performance under 100 yards. The Fusions and the Accu bonds to me are very similar in terminal performance 60-65% weight retention.

The Terminal Ascent and Edge TLR are the exact same bullet the Ascent just has an extra groove cut into it. Weight retention inbetween the TBT and Fusion/Accubonds.

As far as going up in weight with the same bullet (Fusion) to me no real benefit...you are within 100ish ftlbs of energy...get a little less wind deflection with the heavier bullet but more drop. Going to the Terminal Ascent or Accubond would provide more energy, less drift, less drop with similar or more weight retention.

So what you are saying, is top being the most weight retention it would go as follows...

Trophy Bonded
Terminal Ascent
Fusion/Accubonds

Is that correct?

With that being said, would the main drawbacks in theory be that a bonded bullet with exceptional weight retention being that it may not perform as well at close ranges?

To the OP’s question;
Based on your parameters, you won’t see any benefit by using something other than what you’re using now.

EmperorMA

WKR
To the OP’s question;
Based on your parameters, you won’t see any benefit by using something other than what you’re using now.
Winner. ^^^^

Fusions will do all you need out to a quarter of a mile in a .270 Winchester.

That being said, you might find something your rifle likes better. It might take some work, but any bullet mentioned here and many not mentioned in 130 - 150gr (and even lighter Barnes bullets) will do the job.

With weight retention being your top attribute, I will say that the only way you can know weight retention is to catch them. If you're catching them, then you might want to re-think your criteria and include some more frangible bullets like Bergers, ELD-X and such. If it still must be bonded. the ABLR might be your huckleberry.

OP
Southernhunters

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys the more I read here the more I learn. I may add now add different parameters to my question....along with weight retention being very important, so is good expansion and penetration. Bottom line is I don’t want a bullet that fragments into pieces, possibly wounding an animal, or destroying excessive meat on a kill. I’m a shoulder shooter, not a crease guy, I want to break bone and take the animal down fast.

JFK

WKR
I shoot Barnes ttsx in my 270. Hand load 110gr ttsx now, but have had great luck with the 130gr too.

Spoonbill

WKR
Well guys the more I read here the more I learn. I may add now add different parameters to my question....along with weight retention being very important, so is good expansion and penetration. Bottom line is I don’t want a bullet that fragments into pieces, possibly wounding an animal, or destroying excessive meat on a kill. I’m a shoulder shooter, not a crease guy, I want to break bone and take the animal down fast.

If you are having good luck with the fusion why not just stick with that? If you want a tougher bullet, try the barnes as suggested above.

Motown

WKR

Do you reload or are we strictly talking factory ammo?