28 Nosler bullet for Elk/Mule Deer?

I know I may be opening up a can of worms with this thread...not my intention. I also ask to keep emotion out and fact in when replying please.

I currently shoot 195 EOL at around 3050 fps. I have only shot 3 Antelope with this. Two of those kills had no exit below 215 yards. The Antelope at 254 yards has a baseball size exit hole. The load is extremely accurate and high BC and that is what I love about it.

I have been reading (this might be my problem) posts bashing Bergers....and posts loving Bergers. I have some big hunts coming up this year for Mulie and Elk. I want the right medicine, and am starting to question terminal reality. If not Bergers, is there a high BC replacement or something that is close (not eld-x, as I feel these are the same design, right)? Does anyone have experience that can shed some light on this for me. I have less experience than most...so be gentle.

Last edited:
195 has worked well for me on a few deer and two elk. I’ve read about the 195 penciling but I haven’t experienced that.

I wouldn’t be worried about the 195 for elk. A guy my buddy guided last year shot a muley buck at about 180 yards with a 195 Berger out of a 7 rem mag. Softball sized exit hole and the entire chest cavity was turned to jelly. My opinion is even if you’re still worried about close shots with them don’t try to change up a load that shoots well. Instead find a mono/bonded bullet that will shoot close to the same point of impact as the Berger. Carry a coupe of those in your rifle while you hike around. As long as it’s “minute of deer” accurate you’ll be fine out to 200 and anything farther use the Bergers.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wouldn’t be worried about the 195 for elk. A guy my buddy guided last year shot a muley buck at about 180 yards with a 195 Berger out of a 7 rem mag. Softball sized exit hole and the entire chest cavity was turned to jelly. My opinion is even if you’re still worried about close shots with them don’t try to change up a load that shoots well. Instead find a mono/bonded bullet that will shoot close to the same point of impact as the Berger. Carry a coupe of those in your rifle while you hike around. As long as it’s “minute of deer” accurate you’ll be fine out to 200 and anything farther use the Bergers.
I agree with this. In AK I carried my rifle with Accubonds in case of bear and Berger for long shots. POI was good enough to kill out to 350.

I shoot 180 VLD hunters at 3050 and I haven’t lost an animal shot with my rifle from 100 yards to 1100 yards. Reindeer, elk, Sitka, mule deer, and Coues. I killed my buffalo with 180 grain Berger out of a short barrel.308 hunting from a blind.

2five7

WKR
180 Hybrids would be my first choice, but if you've already got a load for the 195, stick with it.