6.5 prc ammo/bullet for whitetail and occasional elk

Primarily a whitetail hunter (0-500 yards) and having second thoughts about my current ammo choice based off of the last deer I shot with the 147 gr eldm at 165 yards (required a follow up shot and entry and exit were holes were minimal). I am shooting factory ammo and my gun shoots the following ammo well…(127 Barnes lrx, 130 terminal ascent, 143 ELD-x, 147 ELD-m, 156 gr Berger eol). From a terminal performance standpoint, what bullet do you like (0-500yards), and with your bullet of choice where do you like to place your shot. On whitetail, I prefer to be able to take quartering shots if needed. Thanks for any input.

JohnsIsl

FNG
Classified Approved
I have had good luck with 127 Barnes LRX from 100-300 yards. Very infrequently do I need to drop them where they stand so I choose to go for lungs.

jsnspck

FNG
I’ve used the 143 ELD-X in 6.5 creed and dropped deer although it’s usually around 100 yards. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work in your faster cartridge.

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had good luck with both bergers and eldx on whitetail and wouldn’t hesitate to use either on elk either.

Where did you hit, and what did it look like inside? Most people attribute those holes to a "pencil thru", when in reality the bullet did plenty of damage exactly as it was intended and it was a small section of lead or jacket that made the exit wound. Some animals just don't fall over right away, I wouldn't change a thing.

OP
J
Where did you hit, and what did it look like inside? Most people attribute those holes to a "pencil thru", when in reality the bullet did plenty of damage exactly as it was intended and it was a small section of lead or jacket that made the exit wound. Some animals just don't fall over right away, I wouldn't change a thing.
Right on the front of the shoulder bone. Perfectly broadside 2 mins before last shooting light. Waited five minutes and started walking across the field to look for the deer. The deer had run 30 yards over the hill and was still standing in the field with two broken shoulders. He could barely move, but wasn’t dead. I then shot him again through the vitals at 30 yards, and he dropped right there. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen hunting. It was like he was in shock.

So much 6 5 kill info here:

More than likely only a fragment exited on your last kill. The rest likely fragmented and destroyed stuff. How'd it look inside?

OP
J
So much 6 5 kill info here:

More than likely only a fragment exited on your last kill. The rest likely fragmented and destroyed stuff. How'd it look inside?
It hit the shoulder bone and definitely fragmented, but the deer was still on his feet five minutes after the shot. It was like it was in shock. Broke both shoulders.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
130 terminal ascent has been great for me. DRT on a 225 lb whitetail at 516 yards. Collapsed in his tracks. No exit and fragments of bullet against offside hide. I quarter them gutless method to avoid the mess. I can state the internals I did see were all gelatin.
I’ll try it on hogs in the coming weeks.

I’ve had good luck with the 143eldx, they preform like the SST bullets. Put one through the shoulders and they’ve been drt, 50-350yds haven’t had a long shot to test them yet but expect the same result.

nmarchr

FNG
I just bought a prc this summer and have limited kills with it so far. My daughter did manage to shoot a mule deer buck with it at 150 yards and we had a bullet size entry and a quarter size exit through the shoulders with the Berger 156 EOL. I shot a bigger buck with it a week later at 350 yards broadside through the heart. Bullet size entry, quarter size exit, heart and lungs mush. I really like this bullet in the prc and will continue to use them. Kids have cow elk hunts at the end of december. We will see how they perform on game larger than mule deer.

We’ve had pretty good luck with the CX bullets. 300 yd shots on two deer last week with great blood trails and deer dead within 50 yds. Aiming for lungs.