28 Nosler Recoil Question

I am looking to have a 28 Nosler built in a light rifle (6 lbs). I am not a fan of recoil and plan on putting a brake on the rifle. How tolerant will a brake make a rifle of this weight to shoot? Thank you...be gentle as I know big caliber and light rifle, but that is why I am asking.

A great brake will work great, an average brake will suck big time. I recommend Muzzlebrakesandmore.com, Nathan makes a great brake at a great price. Salmon River Solutions is a sponsor here and people seem to like their products but I haven't used them myself.

BadDogPSD

WKR
A buddy used a Piercision Muscle Brake on his 28 and it tamed the recoil quite well.

I now have 5 (2 on .300wm, 1 on 6.5PRC, 1 on 28NOS) of the two piece Salmon River Solutions brakes and am really happy with them. Lightweight, great craftsmanship, and really good pricing. You won’t be disappointed. Recoil will be very manageable.

lintond

WKR
I am not a fan of recoil...aka I’m a wimp. I have the CA side port brake on my 28N ridgeline and I love shooting it. Looking forward to getting my suppressor this spring so I can see how that compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bsnyder

WKR
look at getting a pain killer break. one of the best ive used personally.

I have the rifle you speak of basically. It has a 26" Proof CF barrel with custom titanium brake and a carbon fiber stock.

It kicks very hard lol

LaGriz

WKR
My only experience with a break is on my Kimber 8400 Montana in.325 WSM. It weighs just over 6# and was pretty punishing shooting 200 grain bullets at near 2900 fps. This lite Kimber made me aware of a "personnel recoil limit". The fix: Installed a "quiet break and it now has less felt recoil than my 280 Remington.

One thing I have learned is like many fixes there is a trade off. Its now far from being quiet. At the range it's not overly terrible. However, if you try and shoot this in the field with out ear protection you will pay high price. My ears rang for days when I shot at a coyote in Wyoming. Dam it was so loud! I could not make myself follow up after I missed him high. This has me rethinking my plans for this rifle. I have since attained a Winchester Model 70 and had it re-bored to 338-06. this is my new elk hammer. Not as flat-shooting as the 325 WSM, but much more pleasant to shoot. This is a much better fit and I feel like I have lost little in terminal performance.

LaGriz

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
6 pounds is pretty light for a 28 Nosler, even with a break. We try to run our 28 Noslers around 10 pound including a scope. With a break, they recoil similarly to a .270 with no muzzle break. If you are deadset on a 6 pound rifle, you should check out the 6.5 PRC and 7 SAUM! Both catridges provide fairly similar ballistics as a 28 Nosler with much less recoil.

warrbuk

WKR
I built a semi lightweight 28N. 6 pounds 15 ounces without optics

Right now I have a Heavier scope (NXS) on it for load development. I used a MBM 5 port TI beast muzzle brake that works really well.

Working on load development with 195’s and the recoil is dry minimal

I would compare it to my R700 in 6mm that doesn’t have much of a recoil pad

The stock design has a lot to do with minimizing recoil as well.

fd87e7ce857a627a55dee136095ed7a1.jpg

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@Ryan Avery did one of our New Ti Pro brakes on his 8lbs scoped 30 Nosler and loves it... and that’s the smallest of the line of brakes. It would function even better with the larger 5 port.

they are available on the Rokslide store now!

huntnful

WKR
I have 28 nosler that's 6.8lbs. I did put a slightly heavy scope and mounts on it, bringing it to exactly 9lbs intentionally for long range shooting stability. It has a 3 port beast muzzle break on it and the recoil is very manageable. I can pretty much watch all of my shots and impacts as long as I'm in a stable shooting position.

archer109

FNG
I have one built by Travis with rbros. Believe is psa mad scientist brake and my 11 yr old boy can shoot it all day long. Matter of fact he has already taken the gun over as “his”!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking to have a 28 Nosler built in a light rifle (6 lbs). I am not a fan of recoil and plan on putting a brake on the rifle. How tolerant will a brake make a rifle of this weight to shoot? Thank you...be gentle as I know big caliber and light rifle, but that is why I am asking.
As long as you put a 3 port/ side port break on it the recoil won’t be bad. I’m assuming your total setup will end up around 8lbs like mine and the recoil isn’t bad at all. It’s loud as hell though

My 28 Nosler weighs just over 9.5lbs with the heavy scope and with its Live Oak Accuracy brake it’s a joy to shoot, hell even my wife likes shooting it. I loaned it to a 12 yo girl that might have went 115lbs to shoot a buck well past her comfortable range with her rifle. Dialed the 675yd shot, handed her some ear muffs, set her up on the bipod and she pole axed the buck.

A truly good side discharge brake can do wonders for recoil.

Last edited: